Graphics problem - draw diastance

I have just started playing CMSF.

My game was at version 1.08 but I spotted the v1.10 patch and installed that straight away.

My problem is that the draw distance for graphics in the game screen is quite short. This is especially noticable on roads and things which should have shadows. If I move forward then the objects out ahead a drawn correctly but as I move back they revert to a lower quality graphic.

I am using Xp sp3

ATI 4850 latest drivers

thanks

Andy

I have tried changing grahics settings , filtering etc as well as the in game settings. none have so far managed to change the drawing style of distant objects. I would like to post a screen shot so somone can tell me if this is normal or not but I dont know how to put an image into my reply.

My ATI drivers are new , 8.9 I think ( only downloaded a couple of weeks ago )

I believe I have the same problem as you mate and I am running a nVidia gfx card. I will try to fiddle with the ingame graphics settings to see if I can fix it..

CM: SF + Marines 1.10.

PS: Great game though quite fun in MP against a mate when neither of you know what the hell you are doing. :confused: :)

• 1 month later...

Any resolve to this problem? I've been have'n issues with draw distances since the last few patches. Trenches, trees, bushes, and other misc detail do not get drawn until i'm almost on top it or zoom in. I've searched the forums with no awnsers, I gotta say this is the biggest immersion killer for me right now. I'm running an eVGA 8800gts, AMD fx-60,

msi mobo, and win xp sp3.

It's graphical optimisation so the game doesn't run horrible.

All those things: the sadows, the tree damage not looking the same further away (there are more complex stages for the tree breaking apart if you're closer, so leaves that aren't there furthure away are if you zoom in.), more complex models, higher res textures etc...

It does look weird, you have a nice little sphere that extends out from the camera where the shadows will be shown.

I fly up into the air and look down so I get a little circle of shadowed area which I can move around (I'm the lord of shadows!).

They just fixed one of the LOD wierd texture changes with gravel roads in 1.11.

Oh and there's a new shadow optimisation where if the frame-rate drops too much the shadows become much less detailed.

The 3D object detail option controlls the amount of shadows rendered but not the visible range. However I wouldn't put it above improved since the upper 2 levels will kill the frame-rate on bigger levels, and this is on a comp that can play Crysis on V.High (that game does take advantage of my other cores though).

No reply from anyone at Battlefront? This is killing me, the biggest problem is mainly the trenches. They don't draw properly at all, I have to get right on top of them for them to draw. It sucks when scrolling the map because the trenches are either invisible or blotchy unless I stop and zoom in. There has got to be a fix for this, nvidia 8800 gts is a popular card, I there has to be a way to resolve this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the game on three different videocards, both from NVidia and ATi and none had a bigger draw distance over the other.

Its a game limitation, not hardware. Even on highest quality settings in-game and in the video driver properties things like trenches blur out quite quickly.

I guess thats why I keep writing in this thread, because i have found no resolve to this problem which sounds like others are experiencing. It's really frustrating because I love this game and I buy everything that battlefront does to support them, but scrolling the map sucks when the trenches look all blotchy unless zoomed to ground level.

If you say battlefront resolved some graphics issues in 1.11, then hopefully this thread will make them look into this for 1.12. I understand that this was done to optimize the game, but for some reason this new feature sucks on my system.

I would like to see more user customization in the game options for draw distance so people that need it can use it, and the people like me, that get blotchy trenches unless zoomed to ground level, can turn it off.

I am having the same problem with draw distance. Trenches are not visible from a short distance away. I have the Marines Module installed and patched to 1.11.

Here are my spec's.:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite P105

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 594MB used, 4365MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce Go 7900 GS

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0298&SUBSYS_FF311179&REV_A1

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Monitor Max Res:

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8100 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/15/2008 12:17:00, 6168960 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: No

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is the same for me from the beginning. The trees suddenly disappear at a certain distance, the trenches go through different stages (all horrible); the balconies and doors/windows also disappear when seen from a (very) few hundred meters, all this forcing unceasing back and forth camera movements.

I suppose it could be possible to better combine 3D and 2D textures to provide a smoother and more stable view ot the terrain. Currently, there is absolutely no trace of groves once the 3D trees have vanished in the distance, for example.

In CMSF, it can be by-passed by playing only arid ground scenarios, but I suppose it will be more annoying for the Normandy game.

Just a wonder; what's running in the background while this is going on as far as other PC tasks? Might be worth going through running apps and services and disabling all those unneccessary and ones and seeing if that makes any difference i.e:

anti-virus [just while you're in cmsf, and disable net connections too]

update software

resident programs like spybot etc

windows indexer

health checkers

performance monitors

window widgets

basically anything that's unneccesary.There's a few websites dedicated to getting rid of all the background stuff and services that aren't really neccessary.

so basically, strip your system down temporarily to the bare-bones then try running cmsf and see if that makes any difference.

I only say this coz there's a few times when draw distance and camera movement is choppy for me and I think I narrowed it down to having unneccessary tasks running in the background at the same time.

I only offer this coz it seems the problems people are having are not limited to one particular graphics card, drivers or system configuration, seems to happen across the board but not with everyone. Thus this would lead me to think it is something to do with system configuration at the time of play rather than a broad-brush GPU or driver issue.

I ran CMSF with minimal background processes running (2% CPU, 280Mo/3Go of RAM used), and I didn't see a big difference.

Here is how it looks on my computer (Athlon 64 3400+, 3Go RAM, Video Card Geforce6800 (128Mo), Windows XP), with MINIMAL SETTINGS (fastest textures, fastest 3D model, no antialiasing, etc..., no shadows):

the last image is the same view as the second, but with optimal 3D model, which makes the game too slow when action is going on.

post-24242-141867621063_thumb.jpg

post-24242-141867621064_thumb.jpg

post-24242-141867621065_thumb.jpg