Alternative hotkeys file

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same, same here alt hotkey file crashing 1.20 demo. Unfortunatly I accidentaly deleted the original file, so i will have to re-install the game to get it. I am wondering if just adding the target smoke line and giving it a key to bound to in the alt hotkey file will work. Anyone try this?

You can cut and paste this if you want to, but I use a different key assignment as Other Means, it's more oriented on the CMx1 keys, and I also use only few keys for camera control. If copy and paste doesn't work, edit the hotkeys.txt manually with the Editor.

Camera Keys

<E>@

<F>@

<E>@

<F>@

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<F>@

<E>@

<E>#

<E>@

<E>@

<E><

<G>0

<F>0

<E>9

<E>8

Misc Keys

<E>-

<E>+

<G>+

<E>(

<E>)

<E>*

Command Keys Default

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<E>@

<F>@

<E>@

<F>@

<E>@

<F>@

Command Keys Direct

<E>F // move fast

<E>Q // move quick

<E>M // move normal

<E>S // move slow

<E>U // move hunt

<E>A // move assault

<E>R // move reverse

<E>B // move blast

<E>N // move mark mines

<E>T // target

<E>I // target light

<E>C // target arc

<E> // NOT USED

<E>V // face

<E>K // target smoke

<E>D // deploy

<E>P // pause

<E>H // hide

<E>E // dismount

<E>B // bail out

<E>O // vehicle open up

<E>X // pop smoke

<E>G // acquire

<E>Y // divide teams

<E>L // assault team

<E>W // antitank team

• 2 weeks later...
This still doesn't work for me, and I can't figure out how I could be doing something wrong. I put the file in there, it's the right one, I start the game, and it's still using

the original key mapping. It's driving me NUTS.

Do you have multiple copies of the game - like a 1.11 version and a 1.20 version on the go? Check where your shortcut goes to and make sure you've changed it in the correct place.

Or are you using Vista? I know it likes to quarantine files sometimes and doesn't put them where you expect.

• 3 months later...

Hey Thomm,

I don't understand why BFC has removed most of the comments from the hotkeys file....+1 for having them back. Anyway, I have reconstructed the comments, so here is my hotkeys.txt v1.21 for anyone to use. Just copy in the text...you will have to change it to your liking but it works as is, and all the comments are there.

Greetings, stoex

// You can edit this file to modify various in-game functions and hot-key based commands. Use of special characters (shift, alt, control, numpad or function keys) is not permitted. The letter in <>'s (E,F or G) designates the language (English, French or German).

Camera Keys

// camera forward motion

<E>W

<F>Z

// camera slide left

<E>A

<F>Q

// camera slide right

<E>D

// camera backward motion

<E>S

// camera rotate left

<E>Q

<F>A

// camera rotate right

<E>E

// camera turn 180°

<E>V

// camera raise elevation

<E>R

// camera lower elevation

<E>F

// camera zoom out

<E>Y

<G>Y

<F>W

// camera zoom in

<E>X

// camera wide-angle/regular angle toggle

<E>C

Misc Keys

// select previous unit

<E>-

// select next unit

<E>=

<G>+

// lower 3D Model Quality

<E>{

// increase 3D Model Quality

<E>}

// chat Message Toggle

<E>`

Command Keys Default

// REALTIVE COMMANDS... These keys are relative to the button position in the displayed command panel

// Activate the button in the top row, left-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the top row, middle position

<E>

// Activate the button in the top row, right-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, left-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, middle position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, right-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the bottom row, left-most position

<E>

<F>,

// Activate the button in the bottom row, middle position

<E>

<F>;

// Activate the button in the bottom row, right-most position

<E>

<F>:

Command Keys Direct

// These will issue the designated command no matter what command panel is currently displayed

<E>B // move fast

<E>N // move quick

<E>M // move normal

<E>L // move slow

<E>U // move hunt

<E>I // move assault

<E>\ // move reverse

<E> // blast

<E> // mark mines

<E>T // target

<E>Z // target light

<E>G // target arc

<E> // NOT CURRENTLY USED... Do not assign a key to this function! It will eventually be the hotkey for Clear Target, but not yet properly activated

<E>O // face

<E># // Target Smoke

<E>/ // deploy

<E>P // pause

<E>H // hide

<E>[ // dismount

<E> // bail out

<E>J // vehicle open up

<E>. // pop smoke

<E>, // acquire

<E> // divide teams

<E> // assault team

<E> // antitank team

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The order of the keys is a bit different in version 1.30, it now uses the same format as CM:A. Here are my alternative keys. It's a bit different as the file from Other Means and more oriented on the CMX1 keys. But it's fully compatible with CM:A :D

// You can edit this file to modify various in-game functions and hot-key based commands. Use of special characters (shift, alt, control, numpad or function keys) is not permitted. The letter in <>'s (E,F or G) designates the language (English, French or German).

Camera Keys

// camera forward motion

<E>,

// camera slide left

<E><

// camera slide right

<E>>

// camera backward motion

<E>.

// camera rotate left

<E>!

// camera rotate right

<E>"

// camera turn 180 degrees

<E>§

// camera raise elevation

<E>#

// camera lower elevation

<E>'

// camera zoom out

<E>0

// camera zoom in

<E>9

// camera wide-angle/regular angle toggle

<E>8

Misc Keys

// select previous unit

<E>-

// select next unit

<E>+

// lower 3D Model Quality

<E>(

// increase 3D Model Quality

<E>)

// chat Message Toggle

<E>*

Command Keys Direct

<E>F // move fast

<E>Q // move quick

<E>M // move normal

<E>S // move slow

<E>U // move hunt

<E>A // move assault

<E>R // move reverse

<E>B // move blast

<E>N // move mark mines

<E>T // target

<E>I // target light

<E>C // target arc

<E> // NOT USED

<E>V // face

<E>K // target smoke

<E>D // deploy

<E>P // pause

<E>H // hide

<E>E // dismount

<E>Z // bail out

<E>O // vehicle open up

<E>X // pop smoke

<E>G // acquire

<E>Y // divide teams

<E> // assault team

<E> // antitank team

<E> // scout team

<E> // vehicle team

// These keys are relative to the button position in the displayed command panel and are used only when a Command Keys Direct is not specified for a given command

Command Keys Default

// Activate the button in the top row, left-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the top row, middle position

<E>

// Activate the button in the top row, right-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, left-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, middle position

<E>

// Activate the button in the middle row, right-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the bottom row, left-most position

<E>

// Activate the button in the bottom row, middle position

<E>

// Activate the button in the bottom row, right-most position

<E>

BTW, this may get lost in the readme, so I thought I'd mention it here:

since v1.21, the installer copies any existing hotkeys.txt file and renames it to hotkeys_old.txt before overwriting it with the new version default. This only works though if no hotkeys_old.txt file already exists in the Data folder (the installer will not overwrite it). You can then compare the old file with the new file and make any adjustments as needed. Simply copying the old file back usually won't work.

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: Ok so I figured out the chat thing, but I still have the issue of the mousewheel no longer working for zooming in and out... how to fix this?

Presumably it was because he's from Germany and, I guess, you're not. Different regions have different standards for keyboard layouts, so when sharing them, always mention for which region they are meant! Eg. a German or a US hotkeys would work poorly for a Scandinavian player because the same keys are not available without use of Shift or Alt.

I have no idea why a different Hotkeys.txt would change your mousewheel behaviour, as it only defines the keyboard commands. Or do you have any special macros given to your mouse via proprietary or other software?

Presumably it was because he's from Germany and, I guess, you're not. Different regions have different standards for keyboard layouts, so when sharing them, always mention for which region they are meant! Eg. a German or a US hotkeys would work poorly for a Scandinavian player because the same keys are not available without use of Shift or Alt.

I have no idea why a different Hotkeys.txt would change your mousewheel behaviour, as it only defines the keyboard commands. Or do you have any special macros given to your mouse via proprietary or other software?

Turns out it was because he had 9, 8 and 0 assigned to things... I made those slots empty and then it worked again. Go figure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is SO much programming talent in East Europe and Russia. You guys are astounding.

Have you fellows ever thought about reviving the Combat Missions project that would revive the CM1 series?

All we've ever wanted was a system to create an operational/strategic "shell" for the tactical CM1 games that would act as a scenario generator.

Sadly, the original developers got waaaay over their heads in attempting to produce a standalone operational game with its own AI etc - it was a much too ambitious effort and collapsed under its own weight.frtggry

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there some sort of "Hotkey editing for Dummies" post somewhere on this forum? I'm trying out the CMSF 1.30 demo and I hate the default "relative" hotkeys. I tried a couple of the alternate files in this thread and liked them much better, but would like to tweak a few things. Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation anywhere on how to edit this file properly. There's nothing in the demo readme.txt, nothing that I can find on the FAQ site, and I've searched dozens of threads here with no luck.

Ideally, I'd really like to have some sort of a basic template that lists all of the possible commands that can be mapped. Does such a thing exist?