Just bought SC2..

TommyToXen

..And was thoroughly disappointed. It's too big and clunky, just couldn't grasp it. I gave it a good go, I just couldn't see all the units properly. What a waste of money :(

The gameplay its self was fine, it was just the way it looked. It was like a cross between Civilization and Risk gone terribly wrong.

Oh well, at least I gave it a go. Back to SC1.

Question, though. Is there anyway to mod SC1 to get rid of the 1947 time limit? Is there a file somewhere that controls it?

Also was there ever a world-wide campaign made for SC1 like SC2 had? I loved that idea, but because of the weird graphics it was just hard to enjoy.

A world-wide map/campaign would be amazing for SC1.

SC1 is by far my favourite WWII strategy game. I'd say the only thing missing from SC1 is.. the Axis AI never seems to go for Norway or sends troops to North Africa?

Oh, and also on the War Map, there should be a "Peace Treaty" or "Seize Fire" treaty option. So if you declare war with a minor nation, and find yourself a bit over-stretched and regretting the decision, you sign a peace treaty.

Apart from that, SC1 is by far the superior, the gameplay is just much more fun because it's easy and simple. It's down to earth and takes strategy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I also played SC 2, but the display of the units in the environment totally made me feel desoreintated and totally lost the good feel I had with SC

Bought Commander Europe at war, looks more like original SC, but I did not feel that game play..

Is there anyway to get the SC feel back in SC 2?

Hey guys. I don't normally comment in the SC forums these days, but I want to share a few thoughts. I loved SC back in the day - fast, fun and fairly historical except for North Africa and a few other things. But so many things were lacking to provide a more complete WWII gaming experience. SC2 and its WAW and PDE expansions close the gap. Perhaps too much so, but I just don't know how a game can approach a reasonable level of realism and historical accuracy without offering more unit types, more features, and more AI/event scripting capabilities?

There's something to be said for the fast & fun variety, like SC and CEAW. However, when I try to consider what features of SC2-PDE I would want to give up to return to the good 'ole SC days, I'm at a loss. I played an interesting and challenging game of my Advanced Third Reich mod this past weekend to playtest yet a few more changes I've been messing with recently. I miss the old board game experience! I guess the thought to leave you all with is that with some mods to limit which new features are actually used (ie, all new unit types and roads and railroads and such do not all need to be used) and some graphics mods to simplify the display (ie 2D icons) then the game isn't so terribly complicated.

Anyways, here's a toast to fast & fun. The challenge for the future of the SC series is how to take all the new innovations and then try to simplify things to get back to what's essential for great gaming.

Speaking of your A3R mod. If you want a simpler experience with SC2 series this mod is for you.

I say this with the best compliment to pzgndr but A3R makes me feel very much so like in a SC game. I love that mod.

Now that you have the game (both of you) go to www.cmmods.com and get that mod. I am sure you will find it is a great transition to SC2 series.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I cannot open that commods.com page?

Are there actually mods that allow you to play with the 2d (SC1-like) icons, as these statue like soldiers really turn me off the SC 2 game, although I realise that it is more advanced then SC 2, I really like the SC1 view of units.

2D icons come with the game, when you start a new game just go to the Options and click on view 3D units in the top left, these can be toggled on or off. You can also amend it during a game by going to Options.

You'll be able to see some of the 2D images if you look at the Operation Z AAR, as some of the shots (e.g. of the fighting in China) were taken showing the 2D images.

• 2 weeks later...