Jump to content
Spanish Bombs

Six Engine Propeller Plane?

Recommended Posts

On October 24, 2017 at 9:59 AM, John Kettler said:

Michael Emrys,

Your illustration of a lenticular aerodyne (to borrow a term from Coanda) has a serious deficit in that there is no link to the other items you extoll. Please supply same. Danke.

Regards,

John Kettler

 

Jeez, John, you wait nine years to make that request??? I have no idea how I found that image or where. I haven't had time to google around and look for it. It might still be around somewhere though.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thomm said:

Not sure if I understand the problem, but you can get the source webpage by right clicking on the image and choosing "copy image location" or something like that.

I know, I did that just to see where it got me. But it doesn't help with John's problem. You see, originally the image was part of a far-out beautiful collection of images, the links to which were IIRC on the relevant page. But now neither John nor I can find them, and I don't recall exactly how I came across them in the first place.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Emrys,

Sorry about that spacecraft business. Just happened to notice the thread, was intrigued by the subject and started reading, which is how I found that beautiful piece of space art you posted and took no note of the date when I replied.

Regaeds,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, newbie here but this entry came up after my search today and I have to jump in. (Too cool that it’s a 10+ year thread!)

Was coming back from lunch in Pasadena, CA today and heard that unmistakable sounds of a low and slow prop plane. Immediately know it’s big for the sound, but the six engines were surprising. Double take. Stop and gape. Never seen anything like it.

Dad was a private pilot and I grew up around aviation. I am certain the extra engines were NOT fuel nacelles; it was low enough to discern the blades. Or at least, to see all six were the same.

Am so very puzzled and would welcome any additional thoughts!

klf

Edited by pinot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best guess is still what I started out with: an experimental, possibly pre-production cargo plane intended to fly far and high. Why some company would come up with something like that and not publicize it for this long frankly puzzles me. It is not how things are usually done in the aero industry.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the feedback. I thought about trying to find a filed flight plan but have not yet been able to research. It flew over Pasadena CA City Hall heading west-NW at about 1:15 PM yesterday (Mon Jan 28). Will post back if I unearth anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pinot said:

Thank you for the feedback. I thought about trying to find a filed flight plan but have not yet been able to research. It flew over Pasadena CA City Hall heading west-NW at about 1:15 PM yesterday (Mon Jan 28). Will post back if I unearth anything!

If you unearth anything it is probably not the best example of the aerospace industry's output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, pinot said:

Hello, newbie here but this entry came up after my search today and I have to jump in. (Too cool that it’s a 10+ year thread!)

Was coming back from lunch in Pasadena, CA today and heard that unmistakable sounds of a low and slow prop plane. Immediately know it’s big for the sound, but the six engines were surprising. Double take. Stop and gape. Never seen anything like it.

Dad was a private pilot and I grew up around aviation. I am certain the extra engines were NOT fuel nacelles; it was low enough to discern the blades. Or at least, to see all six were the same.

Am so very puzzled and would welcome any additional thoughts!

klf

The only currently flying six-engine plane I know of is the AN-225, and there is only one of those in the entire world, and it doesn't have propellers.

It's highly likely you were simply mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CMFDR said:

Could be some electrical UAV prototype, here's one with 8 props eg.
001.jpg

However I agree that descriptions are quite sketchy thus it's hard to offer anything but wild guesses.

 

Edit : guys, you ain't alone : http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1166788/pg1

Close but no cigar … gentlemen we have a winner for 6 engines …😏

002.jpg.ccd6a1c452018a810b9a83978096e624.jpg

Although actually we don't because it looks like there are a couple on the tail assembly.

Edited by Combatintman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, General Jack Ripper said:

The only currently flying six-engine plane I know of is the AN-225, and there is only one of those in the entire world, and it doesn't have propellers.

It's highly likely you were simply mistaken.

I actually concur, but know I saw a big slow plane with at least four props. Have been trying to find a similar angled shot (from behind and below) of the suggested Lockheed AC-130, but none I’ve found have the clear delineation of three, and only three, nacelles if some kind below each wing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pinot said:

I actually concur, but know I saw a big slow plane with at least four props. Have been trying to find a similar angled shot (from behind and below) of the suggested Lockheed AC-130, but none I’ve found have the clear delineation of three, and only three, nacelles if some kind below each wing...

This one is what I’d like to see from below. Might just be it, but the on the one I saw, the six nacelles were equally spaced and sized...

https://goo.gl/images/QAT3iM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is did he accurately see 6 propellers.

It's pretty obvious from the pics that there are not 6 of em on this aircraft. 

Best to avoid dismissing observations blindly.  Reminds me of group pressure influence experiments where when enuff others poo poo a subject's opinion, the subject will actually change his mind.  We're talking about changing someone's mind about whether one piece of string is longer than another when it's clearly obvious which is longer.  

So, unless Pinot is now certain he is in error, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.  There are all sorts of strange things flying about.  I see em as am close to airbases.

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... I figured that out all by myself.  But, am reluctant to dismiss anyone's observations out of hand.  I still remember people being ridiculed when talking about strange shaped aircraft b4 Stealth was announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, Erwin said:

The question is did he accurately see 6 propellers.

It's pretty obvious from the pics that there are not 6 of em on this aircraft. 

Best to avoid dismissing observations blindly.  Reminds me of group pressure influence experiments where when enuff others poo poo a subject's opinion, the subject will actually change his mind.  We're talking about changing someone's mind about whether one piece of string is longer than another when it's clearly obvious which is longer.  

So, unless Pinot is now certain he is in error, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.  There are all sorts of strange things flying about.  I see em as am close to airbases.

Thank you for the comment, Erwin. I also appreciate the recent photo postings with the extra fuel nacelle shot from below. It does have me kind of second guessing if that’s what I saw. But memory is pretty clear of three nacelles equally placed along the wing, and equally long across it. I will know what to look for now, should I ever see it again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, CMFDR said:

7873182838_164beb397f_b.jpg

Re: above post, this is the photo that makes me NOT second guess what I saw. These are not equally space, and do not protrude the same. But it did seem like a transport craft, slow and heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...