The road ahead... a recap

I will get the brit Mod for the new skins but am under no illusions that doing the same stuff as I do with the US Army will get exactly the same results.

Brits use almost the same weaponry as the US, have similar sized squads etc, vehicles though different equate to roughly the same. Perhaps the Challenger will be better than the Abrahams? It does have a better cross country capability and better armour, but the exact details are classified. Perhaps thats an inherint problem with trying to model modern warfare, it a lot of gueswork as Im sure the various militaries arent going to tell BF all of their secrets...

You may not - as a Brit I play as a Brit right now - in that I use Bradley as a Warrior substitute - which means no 'Target' command (because that = TOW) - I do not acquire Javelin for Infantry Sections (because we don't have them at that level as Flamingknives says). Trust me there are differences - fighting as a Brit will require a little more acumen than fighting as the US (not much - I agree - but it will require more thought).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

american infantry training- 9 weeks

british infantry training- 24 weeks

USMC training- 13 weeks

royal marine training- 32 weeks

american airboune training- about 10 weeks im not 100% sure tho

british para training- 28 weeks

IMO, the initial Basic Training time a soldier gets is almost irrelevant, especially when talking about 2 similar world class armies like the US and UK.

The real training occurs when the soldier arrives at his active duty unit and it is ongoing throughout his time in service.

We used to consider all new soldiers to my unit as "Untrained", with only the basic knowledge of wepons and tactics.

And no knowledge of unit SOP, techniques or procedures.

It was up to the NCO's to really train their soldiers.

Another example, in Iraq I talked often with former old Iraqi army soldiers we were training, some with more then 10 years experience.

Their army time consisted of shining boots and ironing uniforms getting ready for the annual dress parade.

They went to the rifle range once a year.

They had no concept of the things we consider essential to good productive training methods.

"Train as you fight" "battle focused" type training nor of in depth After Action Reviews and self critique.

So, using the initial Basic Training time as a measurement IMO misses the mark.

Both armies (UK, US) conduct tough, challenging, realistic training that is thoroughly reviewed, critiqued and corrected.

The type of training and how the training is conducted is more important then the length of training.