The All New Newbie Tournament: Fellowship of the Newbie

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dave H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shades:

I'm not sure if I missed it but what type of rules will apply to protect against gamey tactics?

Shades,

Good scenario design! :rolleyes: </font>

Originally posted by Panzerman:

Lets put it this way, in our battles you wont see ten Jagdtigers vs. five Stuarts. As for snowstorms and pre-shaken conscripts I don't see much of that... but then we like to keep our battles realistic... ;)

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I much prefer a realistic scenario to a wild free for all. I also don't mind unbalanced scenarios.

Actually the issue of "balance" has been one of my pet peeves about wargaming for several decades. Throughout history there have been very, very few "balanced" wars, or battles, or skirmishes. Invariably one side has some advantage over the opposition. Many times each side has both advantages and disadvantages. Tactics is how you maximize your advantages and minimize your disadvantages.

So bring on the scenarios, with the possibility of running into anything. And ask SuperTed if he doesn't remember his scenario with the snow and the shaken old timers. Oh, that was one whole platoon of shaken old timers in the set-up! :D

Originally posted by Dave H:

And ask SuperTed if he doesn't remember his scenario with the snow and the shaken old timers. Oh, that was one whole platoon of shaken old timers in the set-up! :D

Dave,

Hey, quit picking on the old farts! They did fine when I used them. As a matter of fact, I remember their counterattack going quite well when the scenario finally ended. :cool:

Originally posted by Austrian Strategist:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Lets put it this way, in our battles you wont see ten Jagdtigers vs. five Stuarts...

Eh, but does that mean we get no choice of forces at all? :(

Even in real life, over time, a commander would probably drift toward the kind of force he is comfortable with.</font>

Well, a report on the scenarios will be sent to Cpl Carrot and just to let you all know, we are about half done the battles for the for the first round of the tournament. In other words they are coming long well. Thanks for your kind words SleeStac. smile.gif

As Panzerman said, the battles seem to be coming along and will hopefully be ready for a kick off on the 10th of June. As someone probably said "Good things take time". ;)

There is still space for people to join. If you are not sure if you qualify as a newbie email me and ask. I'll soon let you know.

Enrollment will close on 3 days before the start of the tourny (so around the 7th fingers crossed)

During these three days I will be emailing you to confirm your opponents and that I have your correct email address. The opponent list will also be posted here.

That is all

Cpl Carrot

Ps please please please note these dates are not repeat not set in stone. They are, at this stage, my best guess, so go easy on me if they change.

Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

When its ready. I have penciled in June 10, but it is really out of my hands.

Cpl Carrot

June 10th should be about right, as we will start winding down work on the battles this weekend / early next week.

Here is the list of people entered. If your name is not on the list and you have had an email from me saying welcome etc let me know pronto. If your name is not on the list and you want to be - email me the required details and I'll see what I can do.

DL

Major LardLad

Ace Pilot

Algcs

PK

lenwuk

Cataract Jack

SkeeterBee

Lutar

yarmaluk

SpaceHamster

Otime

SleeStac

Jwirry

Alsatian

Patgod

Killgore

Endit

Stormin Norman

Woofers

Pawter

Austrian Strategist

Exadoor

Yggdrasill

Gpig

Dave H

Sgt Shultz

SpazManOught

Thin Red Line

Zarquon

Panzerboy

Spence

Mighty Honu

Shades

Madmonkey666

Joe Cz

Lurker

Japper

Packman

Hades

Former Jarhead

Lt Kije

Rhudat

GWDWD

Maximillian

arax3

PlagueDog

Cpl Carrot

[ June 19, 2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]

Originally posted by Joe F:

Hello every one,

I just joined (sent the information), hope its not too late. Looking forward to battle you all smile.gif

Joe I have not recieved anything from you, unless it was under a different name. Send again if you are still wanting to play.

In related news I have enough players to form three seperate tournys. Anyone signing on from now on will become replacements for anyone dropping out for whatever reasons. If you are a replacement - don't worry, I will make sure you have some game time (against other replacements if need be).

Later today (or tomorrow) I will post the draw of who plays who.

That is all

Cpl Carrot

OK here are the teams and whos playing who. I did say the start date was not set in stone and just as well. Please be patient. No one wants this thing off the ground more than me.

Cpl Carrot

Riders of Rohan

Mighty Honu

Shades

Madmonkey666

Joe Cz

Lurker

GWDWD

Packman

Hades

Former Jarhead

Lt Kije