The All New Newbie Tournament: Fellowship of the Newbie

No new players are required. The winners have just about been decided

Ok, so my week starts early :D

Here are the rules

==================================================

This tournament is for newbies only. What is a newbie? Well a newbie is considered (in my book) to be a person with either little or no experience with multi-player gaming and/or inexperienced in the joys that is Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. If you fit this criteria then feel free to join in the fun. If you are unsure, ask me.

Players will be put into groups of 16 with 4 backups. They will then be paired off against someone of their own level and will play two battles. The combined sum of these results will determine the winner of the pairing and that person will advance.

If by some freak of nature there is a tie, then a third battle will be played and the winner will advance. If this is then a tie then I will start tearing out my hair and eating my shirt. The losing player of each battle will email me and tell me the score along with their final file and password. In case of a tie, then both email me.

Players can either play by PBEM and or TCP/IP. You will have plenty of time to complete the battles using PBEM only. No one is going to be forced to play via TCP/IP. However you should look to play at least one email per day. Real life has a bad habit of springing surprises so if you are ahead of schedule then the better we can all cope. If for some reason you are going to unable to play for a day or so then let myself and your opponent know as soon as you can. If you must drop out please let your opponent know along with me.

No abuse, trash-talking etc will be tolerated. Even in jest this can taken the wrong way and spoil the experience for the other player. If you can't be nice – don't play. Simple as that.

The esteemed Panzerman and Company at the CM Scenario Zone will be making the maps. They will be the best they can make and will be VERY fair to each side.

After Action Reports (AAR's) are not required, however they will be welcome. If you included pictures make sure you make them small otherwise I am not going to be happy (and you don't want that). The final battle between the last two players WILL however require a detailed blow by blow AAR.

Prizes are as yet unknown. It maybe an honorary generalship into the mighty Redsylvanian Army or the bestowing of the rank of Squire in the Peng Challenge thread. Or it could be something much, much worse ;)

==================================================

Thats all for now. More to follow

[ January 11, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so now how to join up.

Simple, just do the following:

Email me rjb109@i4free.co.nz

with the subject line of Joining the NT and answer the following questions on a seperate line.

Your real name, your BTS nickname*, your email address*, your home city, your home country or state if in the USA, your CM experience*, your PBEM experience* and finally your shoe size

So it should look like this:

Joe Bloggs

Slartybartfus

Slarrt@hotmall.com

Takaka

New Zealand

Only against the AI

None

Within 24 hours you should recieve an automated reply accepting your entry if questions are answered adequately.

Note questions marked with * are compulsary.

Cpl Carrot.

Oh, one at a time please :D

Things are going great on our end Cpl.Carrot, oh and by the way, we are from the Scenario zone, not the depot. ;) And Ted did you get my email, I hope I sent it to you, and not someone else.

[ May 18, 2002, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Panzerman:

Things are going great on our end Cpl.Carrot, oh and by the way, we are from the Scenario zone, not the depot. ;) And Ted did you get my email, I hope I sent it to you, and not someone else.

Rob,

I got it, but I'm a little swamped. I'll have it posted by the end of the night.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

Rob,

I got it, but I'm a little swamped. I'll have it posted by the end of the night.</font>

Can you clarify something for me? You mention the maps, but not the forces. Will this be a set of scenarios with forces determined by someone else, or a u-pick free for all?

And if it's a pick your own situation, will any particular set of "Rules" be enforced?

And most important, have six PBEM games cost me my cherished status of Newbie? :confused: If not, how many PBEM games does it take to become an Oldie? tongue.gif

Enquiring minds (well, one mind anyway) want to know.

Originally posted by Dave H:

Can you clarify something for me? You mention the maps, but not the forces. Will this be a set of scenarios with forces determined by someone else, or a u-pick free for all?

And if it's a pick your own situation, will any particular set of "Rules" be enforced?

I would like to an answer to this one too :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

AS and Dave,

Boots & Tracks will be designing the scenarios, so special orders will not be accepted. Sorry.

No apology necessary. I should have known if you were involved that nobody gets to screw up your psycho maps and weather conditions with 20 flamethrowers and/or flak guns.

But my other question remains, how new is a Newbie? If I consistently lose PBEMs, do I ever stop being a Newbie? For that matter, why would I ever want to stop being a Newbie? Obviously with a Member number over 5000 I'll never be an "Old One" (thank you, God!). :D

[ May 20, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Dave,

Actually, my reflexes got the better of me. :rolleyes: Panzerman and the team at The Scenario Zone are doing the scenarios, not B&T. The parameters will be the same as what I used for the first Newbie tournament, and I am sure the boys will do great work.

As far as defining a Nebie goes, that is Cpl Carrot's call. When he wakes for the day, I am sure he can explain that in detail.

Psycho maps?! :D

Dave,

Actually, my reflexes got the better of me. :rolleyes: Panzerman and the team at The Scenario Zone are doing the scenarios, not B&T. The parameters will be the same as what I used for the first Newbie tournament, and I am sure the boys will do great work.

As far as defining a Nebie goes, that is Cpl Carrot's call. When he wakes for the day, I am sure he can explain that in detail.

Psycho maps?! :D

I have not seen B&Ts psycho maps, they look very real to me, it must just be him Ted. As for how the battles are coming, well thats for me to know, and for the Newbies to find out... :D

Lets put it this way, they will be challenging, and fun at the same time. ;)

[ May 20, 2002, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

In order to define a newbie I look at the responses people gave to questions about CM & PBEM experience. From this I will pool together people of about the grasp of things and continue from there. When enrolment closes (a couple of weeks from now probably) I will post who is in what pool and ask for submissions if people are not happy with their group. (Please be resonable ;) )

If I do not think people are eligible (ie if Fionn shows up) they will receive a message from me saying so and why.

AS and Dave H - I have your submissions and am working on getting a response to you, but you are in

As for the maps, Panzerman and co are working away to produce the fairest and bestest maps they can so rest assured that no one will have an unfair advantage.

Cpl Carrot

[ May 20, 2002, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]