CMSF Marines - Your First Impressions

ChrisND

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB SP WEGO

Combined heavy armor mixed (tiny) results in a platoon of 4 Abrams (not sure what else the AI gets) vs a platoon of 3 T90. First engagement: my T90 gets the jump at 470 & 490m from 3/4 and the side aspect respectively. Result: four APFSDS rounds = two burning Abrams hulks.

Looks like we get a decent armor matchup here! This could make Red vs Blue playable again. :D:D:D

Infantry encounters in close quarters seems to be vastly improved and do not result in the one minute long massacres they used to. Abstracted cover seems to have increased and soldiers fire back and move more realistically. So far it seems like a completely different game at this level.

I haven't seen units peek around corners though, as was mentioned in this thread: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=75317&highlight=corners&page=1. Was this feature taken out?

The Louch,

Very confusing to us. When we do a Cease Fire we show a lot of Red instead of 0 (I don't want to give anything away so I'm not going to cite the specific number). The result you encountered is as if there are no Red guys at all, which is very perplexing since we're using the same file you are. Well, looks like Saturday is a recon day for us :D

Steve

The Louch,

Very confusing to us. When we do a Cease Fire we show a lot of Red instead of 0 (I don't want to give anything away so I'm not going to cite the specific number). The result you encountered is as if there are no Red guys at all, which is very perplexing since we're using the same file you are. Well, looks like Saturday is a recon day for us :D

Steve

I have a save game at the very start of that battle, if you'd like to see it - I've tried reloading it several times, but the red side refuses to spawn. Just say who I should send it to.

I did a few more tests, moving fast around the corner into the ambush zone instead of moving in hunt mode. In hunt mode they were dropping to the ground and crawling to cover, occasionally returning fire. Moving fast or quick around the corner they halted when they saw the enemy, remained standing and quickly returned fire, sometimes even firing first and often owning the fight. Very nice!

Yes, the cooking off thing is very cool, but can also be VERY dangerous. I was close assaulting a T-62 when a Javelin nailed it. I was on the other side of a tall wall and moving in to take out the infantry, when all of a sudden the bloody thing blew up! Collapsed the wall right on my Squad and I had something like 6 or 7 casualties. I was not amused. OK, I was, but only abstractly :D

BTW, the ammo cookoff is directly related to how much ammo, and the type of ammo, the vehicle has in it. Little ammo, little chance of getting a big boom. Lots of ammo, look out! Fire suppression systems, density of ammo, and other factors (including luck) come into play as well.

Steve

IIIIIIIIII like it! The ammo cook off had me looking all over the place until I realized what it was. The Marines have a great bag of new toys. It seems to me that the firefights even are more realistic. I like the air power better. The arty seems so much better. I'm having a blast. I won't ruin anything for anyone. I just started the campaign & the 1st mission was excellent. Really forced me to use the gray matter. Good Job! I love it! Worth every penny. I'll let you guys slide for being 5 days past my big 5-0 birthday.

Well I downloaded it in the early hours of the morning and have played through the night, so I guess that shows I like it!

First mission I tried, Day at the Beach or some such, was a blast. I really like those big AAV personnel carriers. I also played the "Mullah Omah" scenario and the first two scenarios of the campaign. I haven't touched regular infantry again as I love playing the Marines right now.

One thing I did that might help others was to completely deinstall CM:SF first. I saved all my important files such as scenarios, mods and maps in a separate backup folder, uninstalled the game, then installed it afresh. I then immediately installed the Marines module. The main reason was that I wanted to return my copy of CM:SF to a pure original state in case any mods overwrote any of the great new features. I know that's unlikely but too many mods installed might give you a muddied impression of the game. I will probably add them back in gradually to see how they affect the game.

As others have said, performance seems improved in addition to all the new features. Love airbursts! Love cook-offs! Lots more but too much to go over right now as I need some sleep. Thank God it's the weekend! :)

Shut up! Just shut up!

Some of us aren't rich. We have to wait until our next pay checks, or in my case, next several pay checks. So... no one here is allowed to talk about CMSF Marines until I get mine on November 16th! :(

Man, that's just right at shotgun season for deer here in Illinois. My freezer of venison is empty already too. Are you currently serving in the military? Let me know.

The way Cpl Steiner did it seems to be the best. That was how I did it. Plus it helped me get rid of the three or four different versions I had accumulated during testing. So far a fresh install seems to work the best.

Just a reminder, the module is all inclusive so you can start with 1.0 CMSF and it will get all the upgrades. You don't have to apply all the other patches first.

OK, I figured out what happened to The Louch. Short of it is he is too good :D I'll post about that in a new thread.

Steve

Yeah, I simply accepted the unchallenged win of that battle and moved on - everything else seems to work just fine, upto mission four already.

My Top Tip of the Day - there could be more than one secondary explosion! :D

JP76er. I got out in Aug 2002. Wish I was still in. What does that have to do with deer hunting?

Nothing with deer season. If Steve & you can PM me, I would like to buy your copy for you as a way of saying thank you. I never served, but I'm always thankful to those who have. I'm disabled now but always have & still do have a great life. I do because of people like you. If it you would let me do that for you, I would be happy to do it. Steve, can you PM me the best way to do it? Thanks! Moose! I have never hunted them but would love to do it. My next trip is out to Colorado, my cousin wants to take me Elk hunting. I love a huge Elk steak on the BBQ.

I am looking foward to picking this up soon. Yet reviewing the patch notes I am going to miss the strafing runs and regular bombloads from my F-15Es, F-16Cs, and FA-18Cs. Anyway we could get these back in limited form? After awhile Syria would not longer be a "high threat" environment for pilots.

Also the name of several of these missions implies water. Is water actually represented somehow in the game?