CMSF Marines - Your First Impressions

ChrisND

The first mission - well, let's just say I wouldn't make a very good scout/sniper.

The performance is WAY up - I have an 8800 GTX w/ 2 gigs of RAM and an E6600 chip; on the 1.08 build, I had to dial graphics down or it would stutter, now I can play at max settings and it is completely smooth.

The radio chatter for calling in support makes this much more immersive (oh no, that word again!).

ETA: I should also mention, that upon preliminary examination, the map memory bug affecting my Task Force Panther scenarios has been fixed. YAY!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the cooking off thing is very cool, but can also be VERY dangerous. I was close assaulting a T-62 when a Javelin nailed it. I was on the other side of a tall wall and moving in to take out the infantry, when all of a sudden the bloody thing blew up! Collapsed the wall right on my Squad and I had something like 6 or 7 casualties. I was not amused. OK, I was, but only abstractly :D

BTW, the ammo cookoff is directly related to how much ammo, and the type of ammo, the vehicle has in it. Little ammo, little chance of getting a big boom. Lots of ammo, look out! Fire suppression systems, density of ammo, and other factors (including luck) come into play as well.

Steve

At first sorry about my english it isn´t very well but i can say that cmsf marines is fantastic. the ai, sound and so on are great. it is very realistic, i didn´t had any problems .. i love this game and all his features :) best strategy game ever. great job guys

one question i have when do you plan to implement an coop modus? i want to play with my friend against the great ki :)

A little puzzled by the first mission ... I took out the T-55, killed 50 enemy troops, including all HQs, captured all ground objectives, only had 5 men wounded ... and yet it only awarded me a "Draw", because I wasn't awarded enough points for Enemy Casualties.

Did the briefing not say "avoid enemy patrols" and "eliminate HQs only"? I expected HQs and that tank to be assigned as a target objective, not just a blanket "kill everyone" ... instead of sending my troops into a recce I could've used that virtually unlimited ammo supply on the 155's to level the entire settlement ... bizarre.

Kelzhat,

CoPlay (Cooperative Play) will not be in for a long time, unfortunately :( It is something we want to do, but the time needed is huge.

The_Red_Rage,

Well, we waited to release this just for you :D

The Louch,

Interesting. Well, I'm going to check into that.

Remember to be careful about spoilers guys! (The Louch, your post was fine, just reminding people).

Steve

The Marines Module is absolutely awesome. I love the improved TacAI, sounds, action spots, well . . . I could go on forever.

I too got a draw on the first mission, but I just beat the second mission, and accomplished something I have never done before with a decently-sized enemy force: I completely annihilated the enemy. Yup, they had "0 men OK."

I too would make a bad scout/sniper, but I'm feeling pretty good about my regular infantry capabilities right now!

My first impressions are really good. The first thing I did was fire up a little test mission I had where a squad walks around a building corner into an ambush. Previously they would go to ground and try to reach a building door to get to cover, even though that meant crawling towards the enemy... Now they try to get back around the corner to where they came from and any squad members who hadn't entered the ambush zone halt and refuse to enter it. Even when I reordered them to, good stuff!

My first impressions are really good. The first thing I did was fire up a little test mission I had where a squad walks around a building corner into an ambush. Previously they would go to ground and try to reach a building door to get to cover, even though that meant crawling towards the enemy... Now they try to get back around the corner to where they came from and any squad members who hadn't entered the ambush zone halt and refuse to enter it. Even when I reordered them to, good stuff!

wow that's good to hear, looks like the infantry behaviour really got a buff :)

Oh joy, at last the Marines arrived. Although its late night here in Denmark I just played the battle "Bad Moon Rising" and I think it was my best CMSF experience so far. The radio chatter in air and artillery missions, the new equipment, the new soldiers (!), the sound of the environment, the hugely improved infantry (and enemy) behavior, the counterattack and so on. Im impressed, so far, and one thing is even more clear now than before: CMSF is the game of my dreams come true, really.

Great thanks to the staff at Battlefront for the great job.

And now I must see another tactic war (on words) in the first presidential debate....