Marines crashes at startup

I hate to be the first to bring bad news, but Marines crashes within the first three minutes of play (Elite Wego).

No warning, just a box apologising that it has to close, and an error message to send to Microsoft. Unfortunately I'm prevented from copying the error message.

It's happened three times now, twice trying to start the campaign and once on a scenario.

Damn frustrating.

WindowsXP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3, Core2Duo E6600, 2Gig Ram, Nvidia 7950GT running two monitors.

On a lesser note, at startup there is no category for Iron level.

Moon, I pre-ordered Marines on August 8, 2008 (download and mail) for $35.00. I have not received an email for the download. And yes, I am able to receive sales@battlefront.com emails.

You don't need to wait for the email. Simply log into your customer account and fire away :)

There are many reasons why emails may not arrive. Perhaps yours is still processing, or it could have triggered a higher-level spam filter. We have very little influence on which emails make it through and which don't - which is why the entire order process does not rely on emails at all (and which is why we introduced "customer accounts").

Martin

The site didn't recognize my password and am now trying for the second time to get it sent to me -- waited over an hour last time, no dice.

I did get my notification and I haven't had trouble receiving other emails from BFC at my hotmail account. Any thoughts?

The password email has probably been rejected by your email provider's spam filter. For some reason automated emails like that often tend to get "caught". One thing that helps is to put sales@battlefront.com into your address book.

Slug88, my NV video drivers are Forceware 163.67.

Quite old, probably about a year, but I haven't wanted to update as they work fine. Generally, I only update drivers if a problem arises.

Has a problem arisen? Yes. Is it the drivers that are the problem? I really don't know, but I don't want to update to a newer edition driver unless I can be reasonably sure it'll be an improvement.

Handihoc,

Try running some old scenarios from pre Marines (i.e. anything from v1.08 and earlier). Do you get the same problem?

Man, we haven't seen a memory problem in a very, very long time. I don't recall even one during testing. But I'm with you, I wouldn't update the video drivers until you've ruled out other things.

Steve

Steve,

Yes, as I posted earlier, when I played an old scenario was when I got the out of memory message. When I play a Marines scenario, first time (Semper Fi campaign) I crashed after three turns. Second time it crashed when I tried giving orders for the second turn.

Then I tried a Marines single scenario several times - each time it crashes within seconds of startup, either as I'm scanning the new units or when I try to click on a unit.

Just seen a new thread by Wil:liam which suggests that nvidia drivers may be the problem after all. I'm signing off now as my girlfriend's getting restless (its gone midnight and she just doesn't understand!) so I'll check back tomorrow and see if you have any other suggestions.

Appreciate the fact that you're responding. Just hope we can get it sorted before I die.

Just seen a new thread by Wil:liam which suggests that nvidia drivers may be the problem after all. I'm signing off now as my girlfriend's getting restless (its gone midnight and she just doesn't understand!) so I'll check back tomorrow and see if you have any other suggestions.

Appreciate the fact that you're responding. Just hope we can get it sorted before I die.

Upgraded to Nvidia latest drivers 178.13 (Sep 25 2008). Problem gone. Can run CMSF again at 1600x1200, high settings. Quote from William

I would STRONGLY suggest you update your Nvidia drivers. The latest have seemed to do much better on my 8800 card for a variety of programs.

Actually, looks like Nvidia just released a new set (178.13) yesterday. I haven't tested those just yet but my previous ones (updated just a month or two ago) worked well for me.

Madmatt

Hehe... too funny!

Handihoc, we'll check in tomorrow and see what's up.

LongLeftFlank,

I'll see what I can do. That's an automated system so it should only take a minute or two. Anything longer than that indicates some sort of message blocking problem. As Martin said, it could be upstream from you. Frustrating, I know, but unfortunately it happens.

Steve