"THE" wargame...ever?

Gridley

My dream game:

Grand strategy like StratCom (or more like the old harpoon series), but the ability to "zoom in" to local battles and command tactically in a real time CMx style, but also be able to give tactical command of that sector back to the AI and hop to an adjacent sector and take control...

Falcon4 has this kind of dynamic campaign where the player can kind of influence the war as a whole, and hop into the cockpit of a jet on a local mission.

Any thoughts about why this game doesn't exist yet? Or maybe it does?

This "request" has been around for some time. I remember as a teen wanting to set up AH's Third Reich and then switch to their various other games for the strategic battles (Africa Corps, Bulge, etc) and then even go down to Squad Leader for tactical battles. Of course with boardgames, it wasn't feasible; I'd *still* be trying to get through 1942.

Didn't the Close Combat series work like this? Operational to tactical? My kids have some Star Wars game that does this - you have the Operational overlay of hopping from planet to planet (would that not be super-grand-strategic??) and then you go to tactical to fight the battles. I know that there's been plenty of more examples, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

There was a game called Road to Moscow in development about ten years ago that promised to do this, but SFAIK it never got finished. My guess is that it was just too hard to write a program that would run on contemporary machines and would also produce a satisfying game experience.

There was also around that time a game called Victory at Sea. You couldn't alter the game scale, but you could if you chose, create and disband taskforces and order their combats etc.

Michael

The old Talonsoft BoB let you switch between running the Battle of Britain as fighter Command' date=' or take command of only 1 group, and jump into or out of cockpits whenever you chose IIRC.[/quote']

That was a cool game. My ancient machina managed to handle massive furballs without too much lagging. However, I totally sucked at the strategics of handling an air fleet, and stuck mostly to flying myself. And with sucked, I mean I was REALLY pathetic at it.

SWOTL (secret weapons of the luftwaffe) - and I am dating myself here - had a similar setup. Some basic strategy, but mostly flight sim.

Some day. I really think it should be possible to have a grand strategy game, with "client apps" that handle the tactical part...

EDIT: I played a game once on a friends' machine, Highway to the Reich I think? That had a really unique command structure, but seemed limited to small unit engagements. Is my recollection correct?