Previously unknown Atlantic Wall positions found in Denmark = Time capsule treasure

John Kettler

Fortification grogs, military archeologists and students of the Wehrmacht, among others, rejoice! A great storm has unearthed things wholly unknown and unexpected, fortifications as they were abandoned, plus some decay over the years, naturally, but complete right down to stamps, cots and pipe tobacco in a left behind pipe!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1041240/Sea-unearths-secret-Nazi-bunkers-lay-hidden-50-years.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Bunkers great for tourism? Don't look like they are anything special. I know of two exactly the same bunkers, plus a bunch partially buried ones that might be the same right where I live, in IJmuiden. That plus a bunch of connected pillboxes, 15cm bunkers, FLaK bunkers etc etc. And there's the hard to miss E-boot bunker{1}, which is so huge I'm surprised it's not a U-boot bunker.

My point is, on the Atlantic coast your bunkers need to have something special to stand out from the crowd, because there are a godawful lot of them. These are so boring even the locals forgot about them. :)

{1} say hard to miss because the Brits demolished one with Tallboy bombs, the other still in use as a battle scarred part of an industrial plant.

Elmar Bijlsma,

Well, if I were in the area, I'd want to see them, especially if they were set up as a kind of living history exhibit. OTOH, the real estate angle also applies. They'd be more of an attraction if at Normandy.

I didn't know the British attacked anything in The Netherlands with Tallboy, but I was well aware of Tallboy and Grand Slam attacks against German sub pens in France. Even have an AFTER THE BATTLE magazine showing where one got clean through the roof. Wiki says Ijmuiden WAS a sub pen and lists it in the table of such strikes. Believe you'll find this of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_pen

Regards,

John Kettler