How annoying are the announcements?

REVS

Are they extremely annoying, or very annoying, or merely annoying?

These blots on the landscape at the top of the boards certainly are a crappy thing, low rent self-promotion. Yeah, yeah, so you've got product! Got anything interesting?

It's like having all the trees in your street chopped down and replaced by billboards.

How does CMSF Marines Video update pay for this place?

I was about to bring up the same point as REVS did a few days back. Then we had 10 or 12 announcements on various superinteresting things. I had to scroll over a page down on my laptop to start seeing any proper threads. Now there are 'just' 7.

Its a bit same as many people with their desktop shortcuts. The bloody shortcuts lose their effect when there are a million of them.

Awesome it worked, some were taken down. Now you can actually see threads right after the page loads. Now we don't have to do the unbearable and tiring process of SCROLLLING THE MOUSE WHEEL A SINGLE INCH. :D

Seriously though, thanks for taking some of them down, it was getting a bit crowded.

Are they extremely annoying, or very annoying, or merely annoying?

extremely annoying, given the sheer number of them. half a dozen or so seem to be a good number; more than that and i think people simple ignore them for sure as it simply defeats the purpose of having a special section for them. it seemed like a day or so ago there were 20 of them up there - *special* announcements cease to be special when they are in a list of 19 other *special* announcements - they just become something to scroll past quickly.

does the "views" field show what you'd think it shows?

Marine video update: 27

this thread: 312

End of the world: 2000+

Yes, pretty much so. Where it's not clear is the interpretation of what it means. I have two somewhat opposing views to offer:

- many people who come to the GF do so after they check out the other game-related forums first, or the main website, or the RSS feeds, newsletter etc. Hence, the view count from the GF is comparatively low because people have already found out about the news from the prime sources

- many people in the GF are not interested in our products at all and are exclusively visiting this forum. This would be a strong argument to close down the GF, actually. These forums do serve a purpose; there is a German phrase - "Selbstzweck" (self-purpose) - and these forums are not it. They are for fans of our games to be able to talk about off-topic stuff. You can see the announcements on top as a reminder of that, if you like. The number of announcements will vary (I usually try not to duplicate them too much), but they're going to stay. Compared to other forums which are bombarded with ads, pop-ups and pop-unders our forum is still far ahead and, if you do not purchase our games, for free. Considering that this is not a forum from some magazine site but the forum of a game company that's a darn good deal.

The point about having too many of them and in turn making them less special is valid. I have taken down duplicate announcements because of that already in the past, and some "small news" are generally not cross-posted here anyway. Hopefully a future version of vB would allow to rotate announcements or something like that. We will upgrade to 3.7 sooner or later, I'm not sure how announcements are handled there.