Metal Detectors

MeatEtr

Any metal detector hobbyists out here? I've never tried this and know nothing about it. I've heard grand stories of people hitting a few jackpots out there. Or at least the more common, this and that paid for the detector in less than a week. Also the idea of finding a relic or artifact of any kind sounds fascinating to me.

So I was thinking about buying one in the $200-300 range. I noticed there are a ton of different models out there. I was looking at either getting the Minelab Musketeer or the Whites Prizm II or III. Any other recommendations or tips/hints for this metal detecting noob?

What's there for an American to detect?

Here in the Netherlands you have a fair chance to find something medieval or Roman era, if you manage not to kill yourself digging up the copious amounts of WW2 stuff. Heck, I found several pre-historic hand axes (still sharp!) digging up my fathers vegetable patch, along with a piece of a 5cm mortar round and 20mm and .303 casings.

Well besides the usual coins and jewelry stuff, Civil War artifacts would be a good start. Of course the big pipe dream of finding a gold nugget still exists. :D

But as far as WWII goes, I recall a guy finding a Japanese bomb in Hawaii awhile back. IIRC the Japs also invaded the Aleutian islands up in Alaska, but that's about it for any WWII stuff. But I don't think I'll find myself in either those places anytime soon.

So what kind of MD do you use?

What's there for an American to detect?

Here in the Netherlands you have a fair chance to find something medieval or Roman era, if you manage not to kill yourself digging up the copious amounts of WW2 stuff. Heck, I found several pre-historic hand axes (still sharp!) digging up my fathers vegetable patch, along with a piece of a 5cm mortar round and 20mm and .303 casings.

What's there to find?

One of my friends told me that at the end of WWII, crates of new equipment werer buried on the sites of many army bases...as some of these former bases are now state parks....

Finding a crate of buried garands, without risk of blowing myself to kingdom come is something that has me interested in this topic.