Infamous Runtime error #3 (trap)

Hello,

I am not sure if I am elgible for support from battlefront for this issue because I have kalypso retail edition of the game. However, I will try and here is my problem description:

I received my copy of Theatre of War (kalypso) from play.com couple of days ago, but I still have not been able to get it running.

I have the infamous "Runtime error #3 (trap)" problem.

I have tried kalypso version installed directly from the dvd without any patching, then I installed "uber-patch" but I still got the same error.

I read troubleshooting guide from battlefront-site.

I have latest drivers (catalyst 8.8) for my video card (ATI HD 4870).

My video card should be powerful enough to run the game.

I have tried vista 32bit and xp 32bit, both give me the same error from the start. (no title videos or nothing) I tried renaming title.avi but no luck.

Anisotropic filtering is set to "Use application settings."

I have dual display configuration, but I have disabled the second display.

What else is there for me to do or try?

My video card is club 3d ati hd 4870 512MB

My processor is intel E5420

I have 4GB of ram.

Thanks in advance,

Petri

Most probably, problem lies in new Ati drivers, it seems that the OpenGL support is no longer a priority (this error pops up when there are problems with OpenGL initialization). Earlier drivers should work, but they will not support your brand new videocard:( So a little can be done. Mostly because video card manufacturers care about OpenGL support much less these days we switched to D3D render in ToW2.

Thank you Sneaksie,

I tried the game with my old graphics card and older drivers, ATI X1600 / Catalyst 8.7 and it works, although the game is so slow that it is unplayable. :(

I found out that SecondLife viewer also has problems with catalyst 8.8 and I hope that will create enough pressure for ATI to fix its drivers.

When I get home I will try ToW with catalyst 8.9 beta drivers.

CASE SOLVED

I downloaded both catalyst 8.7 and catalyst 8.9 (beta).

Then I extracted the installation package with 7zip so that I could get my hands on on atioglxx.dl_.

Notice: package names may differ if you have different os. Mine is vista 32bit.

catalyst 8.7 - atioglxx.dll version 6.14.10.7769 instructions follow)

1)extract the executable with 7zip or rar.

2)expand $OUTDIR/atioglxx.dl_ with expand

C:\Temp\8-7_vista32_dd_65998\$OUTDIR>expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility  Version 6.0.6001.18000

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Expanding atioglxx.dl_ to atioglxx.dll.

atioglxx.dl_: 4236106 bytes expanded to 9306112 bytes, 119% increase.
3) copy atioglxx.dll to theatre of war root directory (same as tow.exe) 4) works like a charm catalyst 8.9 - atioglxx.dll version 6.14.10.7976 instructions follow) 1) extract vista_080820a-068929C-ATI.zip 2) expand atioglxx.dl_ with expand
C:\Temp\vista_080820a-068929C-ATI\080820a-068929C-ATI\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF\B_68405>expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility  Version 6.0.6001.18000

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Expanding atioglxx.dl_ to atioglxx.dll.

atioglxx.dl_: 4421707 bytes expanded to 9838592 bytes, 122% increase.

3) copy atioglxx.dll to theatre of war root directory (same as tow.exe)

4) works like a charm

Notice: you do not need to INSTALL catalyst 8.7 or 8.9, just copy the dll to the tow directory.

This helps with catalyst 8.8 which has broken opengl implementation.

BTW:

I am volunteering for ToW2 hardware/gamplay beta testing group ;-)

I think it would be nice if you would add this to your troubleshooting guide. Not as "supported troubleshooting instructions" but more like a hint for experienced users.

This way I can keep my tested, fast & stable catalyst-configuration on other games and still get tow working.

Catalyst 8.7 contains old drivers and software and catalyst 8.9 is still at beta and I read they are a bit unstable (crashing, weird visual artifacts).

Still, installing catalyst 8.7 or 8.9 would made the game work too.

Replacing opengl-components for single game is not a new thing. People have done it in the past. For example, in one release of catalyst drivers, ati removed over 20 opengl extensions which made several games and other software not working. Catalyst 8.8 is yet another release which has forced people to play around with the dlls.

just got the game two days ago and have the run time error trap 3. I have no clue about computers other than put the game in and it goes...or in this case doesnt. I am very excited about the game...how can I figure out how to make it work for me when the info sounds like some alien tongue?

I have NO clue about how to fix this. I am just a put it in and play guy....when it doesnt work i am lost. I see the way to "solve" the issue but having no computer comprehension I couldnt even begin to do this on my own....HELP!!!

do you know what display adapter you have?

if not, run dxdiag to find out

start->run

enter "dxdiag" + enter

then choose display tab and check the "Name", it reads for example "ATI Radeon HD 4800 series" or "NVIDIA Geforce MX/400"

i will try this...unfortunatly i am not at my computer...at work. will have to do it when i get home this evening. what do i do once i get that info?

post it here, then we'll know more

if it is ati problem (catalyst problem), you can try switching the opengl-dll (I will instruct you with this later if needed)

you could have unsupported graphics chipset, for example most mobile chipsets

or it could be nvidia problem, where it could be enough to just change opengl-settings

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same trap error when I installed ToW on my HP laptop using the imbedded

Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset.

It looks like their is Open GL support with the graphic card when I installed the GPU Caps Viewer v1.5.2. which displays the main OpenGL capabilities.

Oh well, it worth the try. A bummer I cannot play the game when I travel though.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

start->run

enter "dxdiag" + enter

then choose display tab and check the "Name", it reads for example "ATI Radeon HD 4800 series" or "NVIDIA Geforce MX/400"

I ran the DXDIAG and all, mine is the NVidia GeForce MX420...... Now what?:confused:

• 5 months later...

start->run

enter "dxdiag" + enter

i have done this and mine reads Mobhile Intel® 4 Series Express chipset Family

and if i manage to change it will it affect any other of my applications or systems:confused:

thanx:D:D:D

On a vast majority of laptops you will NOT be able to change the video card/chip. In your case you have an Intel 4 Series Mobile graphics adapter. This adapter is borderline for possibly working with TOW. It seems in this case that it may not be working.

You can check your OpenGL support by downloading and running the OpenGL Extensions Viewer (in the 'File' drop-down dialog select "OpenGL Extensions Viewer"). If this reports back that you have OpenGL 1.0/1.1 support, then that would NOT be enough to run TOW 1 series. The TOW 2 series uses DirectX, which your video chip would probably have a bit better level of support, but still possibly not enough for the series.

Depending on your laptop model you may want to download and install some newer drivers (if you are not using the latest already). However some laptops cannot use the Intel-provided drivers and must use drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer. The latest Mobile Intel 4 Series drivers for Windows 7 32-bit is: version 15.​​17.​​7.​​2141, dated June 8, 2010 (though the actual driver date may be older than that listed date).

• 3 weeks later...

hi i have followed all the steps mostly from petsi and found out that i have :NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X and my OpenGL version is : 1.5

but i do not know what to do now so if anyone could help my then great :)

hi i have followed all the steps mostly from petsi and found out that i have :NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X and my OpenGL version is : 1.5

but i do not know what to do now so if anyone could help my then great :)

I would say you need a newer VGA card - min reqs is a series 6 & you're using series 4....:(

Theatre of War

Version 1.10.0.81

1. System Requirements

CPU (Minimum): P4 2.8 GHz/AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM

CPU (Recommended): Core 2 Duo/AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2 GB RAM

Video Card (Minimum): NVIDIA GeForce 6600/ATI Radeon 9800, 128MB VRAM**

Video Card (Recommended): NVIDIA GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon X800, 256MB VRAM**

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible

DirectX: 9.0c

Hard Disk Space: 3.0 GB

ATI Radeon 9200 and earlier/Nvidia GF440MX and earlier/VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP (and other models), and the SIS (all scale) will NOT run this game.