So, what's the best helicopter sim now?

CoFarmer

Im not as in-tuned with PC gaming as I once was, so I'm wondering what the best helicopter sim is right now. I mean military sim.

I've got an older one called Hind, from Interactive, which came in a twin-pack along with an F-16 sim. Couldn't get it to run last year, but I think that was because I didn't have the F-16 sim installed. I'm now thinking they both need to be installed for either to work.

Anything else out there?

If helicopter sims are your thing, then you should be very very excited about DCS: Black Shark. It's a very in-depth study sim of the Ka-50 Black Shark, to be released in the next couple of months. By the looks of it, it is going to be the most detailed flight sim ever released to the public, and it's set to herald in a new age of consumer flight sims. Here's the website:

Digitalcombatsimulator

I was a huge fan of DI's Hind when I was growing up. If you look on the heli sim forums on www.simhq.com, there should be posts detailing how to get it to work on current systems. I doubt that you'd need to have the F-16 sim installed to play Hind, especially since I believe that DI never even made an F-16 sim, and so the two games in the bundle probably don't share anything more than a common publisher.

I just tried the Whirlwind of Vietnam chopper sim(see thread bumped). I got really bad performance from the game. But from the limited playtime I had with it, it seemed ok. Although, I'm no chopper sim vet, this was my first one.

But if anybody wants to give this game a try I'd be willing to ship it to them, you pay the shipping(3$) though.

If helicopter sims are your thing, then you should be very very excited about DCS: Black Shark. It's a very in-depth study sim of the Ka-50 Black Shark, to be released in the next couple of months. By the looks of it, it is going to be the most detailed flight sim ever released to the public, and it's set to herald in a new age of consumer flight sims. Here's the website:

Digitalcombatsimulator

I was a huge fan of DI's Hind when I was growing up. If you look on the heli sim forums on www.simhq.com, there should be posts detailing how to get it to work on current systems. I doubt that you'd need to have the F-16 sim installed to play Hind, especially since I believe that DI never even made an F-16 sim, and so the two games in the bundle probably don't share anything more than a common publisher.

Not really my thing, per se, just looking for a casual time waster, nothing too involved.

The Ka-50 sim looks too involved for my taste, but thanks for the link. At least it's a Russian helicopter, instead of yet another Huey, Apache and whatever that other one is.

I bookmarked SimHQ and will try to get Hind to run. Thanks for that link, there's all kinds of discussion going on there.

The F-16 game I have is definitely by Interactive Magic, although not necessarily by DI, as you say, although their name is on the disc as well. I'm looking at the disc as I write and I still have the twin box it and Hind came in.

Here, I found an online picture of it, although this is not the twin box I have. You can see the Interactive Magic logo in the bottom right:

2dlm455.jpg

I just tried the Whirlwind of Vietnam chopper sim(see thread bumped). I got really bad performance from the game. But from the limited playtime I had with it, it seemed ok. Although, I'm no chopper sim vet, this was my first one.

But if anybody wants to give this game a try I'd be willing to ship it to them, you pay the shipping(3$) though.

I'll look at your thread, thanks.

Edit: Doesn't sound very enticing - I'll pass, thanks.

If you're looking for something nice and quick, doesn't have to be military, and are not too concerned for modern graphics, look for the "Search and Rescue" series, that let you fly Coast Guard helos and similar stuff, using winches and water buckets to perform aerial work.

Otherwise the latest decent combat helo sim I remember is Enemy Engaged: Commanche vs. Hokum, which has attracted a large mod community.

Or just get a copy of FS2004 for cheap, and fill it with your favorite addon helos.