Piracy in PC gaming-Another BIG victim (old news)

Lt Bull

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people, not all, feel that in the console market we, the gamers, are getting more for our money then ever before. Games are not that expensive to buy and the price has gone up a bit or relatively stayed the same over the last ten years, hasn't it? But games, on average, cost a whole lot more to make over that same time period, isn't that true??

Anyway, I'm not sure where I stand on the whole piracy issue. The only game I can remember pirating was Hero's Quest from Sierra, which I later bought. That was in the early 90s.

Herr Kruger

Some people, not all, feel that in the console market we, the gamers, are getting more for our money then ever before. Games are not that expensive to buy and the price has gone up a bit or relatively stayed the same over the last ten years, hasn't it? But games, on average, cost a whole lot more to make over that same time period, isn't that true??

Anyway, I'm not sure where I stand on the whole piracy issue. The only game I can remember pirating was Hero's Quest from Sierra, which I later bought. That was in the early 90s.

Herr Kruger

I sort of agree with your statement that we are getting more for our money then ever before. The last console I bought was a gamecube new, and after the first year I hardly played it. Towards the end of its lifecycle I picked it up again, once there was quite a few quality used titles out for it. I have over 40 games for it (most bought used) and in the end I still feel I got my moneys worth, as the kids sometimes play it, and the games I have for it, I or my kids, will be able to play on a wii, assuming I can find one for sale. If it wasn't for the wii and the fact that it still works as good as new after what (7 or 8 years) then I would say I didn't get my moneys worth.

However, an Xbox 360, with all its hardware failures I would disagree with. With the price cuts upcoming for the Xbox maybe I will get one, but only if I know that RROD issues have been resolved. The PS3 remains way to pricey, with confusing configurations, I don't care for blu-ray, and many of its exclusives have gone over to the xbox.

Where I got real value for my money was not in consoles or pc, but in my DS. I've put way more hours of gameplay on that than either the pc or my seldom used gamecube. The games are cheaper (especially used), with a wide range of genres to choose from, and thanks to the touch screen and dual screen, unique games, or new takes on old styles of games.

Regarding X-Box 360, here's a dearly bought piece of advice. Buy no game for it, especially if you play split screen co-op, without renting it first. Most co-op isn't; the lying's blatant, and many games are steaming piles. ArmorCore 4, for example, has absolutely dazzling intro movies, an incomprehensible interface, switchology that would turn a saint to Satan, useless briefings, etc. We like to went nuts doing the simplest things, and it probably didn't help that the rental version lacked the manual. Even so, it was pretty much opaque where other games, also rented sans manual, were clear.

We gave up. It was a frustrating waste of time, and we were initially quite excited. How annoyed would we have been to make those discoveries after shelling out $70.00 plus tax? The price jump for games in going from the X-Box to the X-box 360 has been huge, nearly a doubling. Not to mention the X-box 360's peculiar talent for losing game saves, generally after a grueling multiday claw to almost the end of a game. This has happened repeatedly to the friend I game with.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, this is just directly incompatible. You can't ask a vendor of anything to just give you more for less money. Well, you can ask but if the vendor is on a small margin anyway it's not going to do any good.

did you check the blog? the guy is a game developer who is taking the listed measures to make more money.

Another thing we can agree on. I don't console game myself, but my 16 year old does, and he learned to Net Flick his games first.

Regarding X-Box 360, here's a dearly bought piece of advice. Buy no game for it, especially if you play split screen co-op, without renting it first. Most co-op isn't; the lying's blatant, and many games are steaming piles. ArmorCore 4, for example, has absolutely dazzling intro movies, an incomprehensible interface, switchology that would turn a saint to Satan, useless briefings, etc. We like to went nuts doing the simplest things, and it probably didn't help that the rental version lacked the manual. Even so, it was pretty much opaque where other games, also rented sans manual, were clear.

We gave up. It was a frustrating waste of time, and we were initially quite excited. How annoyed would we have been to make those discoveries after shelling out $70.00 plus tax? The price jump for games in going from the X-Box to the X-box 360 has been huge, nearly a doubling. Not to mention the X-box 360's peculiar talent for losing game saves, generally after a grueling multiday claw to almost the end of a game. This has happened repeatedly to the friend I game with.

Regards,

John Kettler

Regards,

John Kettler

Renting before buying is generally good advice. As is checking out numerous reviews. I've had a 360 for awhile, and have had no major problems with it yet. I've never lost a gamesave. Armored Core may be a terrible game, I don't know, haven't played it. Indicting the 360 on the basis of one game is beyond silly, though. I expect I'll get the RROD one day, but not yet. I have an Elite.

"The price jump for games in going from the X-Box to the X-box 360 has been huge, nearly a doubling."

Umm, what? Are you saying it costs the consumer twice as much money to buy a new 360 game today as it did to buy a new Xbox game like four or five years ago? It's basically the same price.

Herr Kruger