So..is Campaigns a New Game or a Tool?

geozero

Reading the info on the main page it appears to me that this is a tool to play out "campaigns" or series of battles in a strategic map, that then requires CMBB to actually play out the battles. It sounds like a tool. My CMBB hasn't worked right for years. Wonder if there's any new enhancements. Will Campaigns come with an updated CMBB???

Anyway, glad to see that this is still a system being given time.

I sure hope for a new engine version some day.

I believe that CMC will be offered with an optional bundle of CMBB. Not every copy of CMC will have the CMBB bundle (thus you'll pay less for the 'CMC only' version).

Also CMBB will not be updated, bundle or otherwise. CMC will come with an updated executable for CMBB that offers the hooks that CMC needs to get data from the game, etc. This updated executable should work with whatever version of CMBB you purchased (i.e. - Direct-to-Disk, Battlefront, CDV, etc.). This update however will NOT fix current bugs in CMBB or offer new units, etc.. Sorry. BFC consider CMBB a "finished product" that will not receive updates for bugs or new features.

CMBB's OS compatibility with Vista is an issue of the video drivers that are available for Vista and not within CMBB itself. In other words the videochip manufacturers need to fix their drivers for older DirectX titles that would allow CMBB to work without problem. Most videochip manufacturers have concentrated on newer DirectX features and accelerating them. These "optimizations" are often what leads to incompatibilities/glitches with older and newer games and CMBB is one of those titles that is suffering with the current state of driver optimizations. When Nvidia and ATI/AMD get around to fixing these issues is anyone's guess. They're often more concerned about the framerate their drivers are getting in Crysis than fixing the drivers for a more complete DirectX compatibility.