Things I miss..

I miss the old TCP/IP glory

Single player is boring imo. Since the CMx1 days, it only served as a training tool for the big things (see multiplayer). CMSF has that extra AI route planing tool but, since units are actually brain dead, scenarios end up being a kind of puzzle that is solved in the 2nd or 3d try. Where is that TCP/IP auto pausing or even turn based mode? RT just doesnt work with the lag/sync problems and there is no save game option to continue your battle the next day.

I miss text messages..

I never know what happened to my units. What was wrong with the "gun hit"/ "internal armor flaking" etc kind of messaging? Its impossible to keep track of the grey spots on the systems menu, especially when playing RT. In general, player needs more feedback on situational awareness, units under fire (radio messages maybe), enemies spotted etc etc.

I miss stable graphics

CMx1 had no fancy lighting or multi polygons models but I loved the fact that everything looked solid and "there". CMSF looks nicer and has a pleasant pallete and superb models but I hate the constant redrawings that make the environment look artificial and kill the immersion. Also, some more color pleaaaase. Some more shops facades, red/white water tanks, something to break the sepia monotony here and there and is larger than a trash bin.

Patiently waiting for the upcoming fixes of 1.10..

Ali-Baba, I hear you loud and clear :)

CM2 has such huge potential, but we aren't there yet. I miss the human challenge of wego TCP/IP. It was all I ever played as I felt that this was where the real tactical challenge lay.

I am hoping we'll get the text messages, kill lists, and some form of wego TCP/IP play back into CM2 one day.

The only things I really miss from CMX1 are Kill Lists, Detailed Hits and spreading fire...

I never played TCP so I can't comment on that.

I don't have many, if any, problems with the graphics breaking my immersion and I am using an NVidia GeForce 7800 GT.

I love single player scenarios and have played them almost exclusively since CMBO. As far as CMSF how many times do you figure to play a scenario before you become expert at it? LOL. 2nd or 3rd try is pretty good. I don't think in most games you can play a scenario indefinitely. Plus they can have up to 5 plans per scenario so that's at least five potential games per scenario...not bad.

I always know what happens to my units 'cause I play WEGO.

I am, however all for new objects/graphics of any sort.

I am not arguing with you, just I think a lot of it is in one's preferences...can the game be improved? Always. But it's still a very fun game in my opinion and I get my ass handed to me as many times as not by the AI.

Mord.

P.S. CMX1 still exists, people can always play that.

Of course...a good scenario designer can make a battle really challenging. But it is always a let down when you realise that enemy units dont respond to simple tactical situations because the author hasn't write one or two more "instructions". This is where I so much miss the TCP/IP of CMx1. Single player was maybe a 1/100th of the drama and fun of those H2H fights with friends. Probably my best gaming experiences ever. I think I have every right to ask this from CMSF with its neat new features, 1:1 etc. Unfortunately real time TCP, with the intense calculations, has quite a lot sync problems for many players and it isnt suitable for larger battles due to the lack of a pause function. I remember Steve thinking about introducing some kind of time-outs feature, which would be a nice mid solution.

Of course WEGO helps to track things but isnt CMSF a Real Time game in heart? How can a real time game lack basic situational feedback. Or is it a Real Time game meant to be played in WEGO :confused:

About the graphics redrawing. It happens each time the AI has intensive calculations to make, vehcile navigation etc. When all is quiet landscape is perfectly detailed and smooth.

Could be my system but lots of people are complaining too. I guess Mord, you havent noticed them because you are not playing in RT.

And yes, I forgot, I miss the kill list too.

The RT aspects I have no answers for...I just hate playing that way...always have, I miss too much. I've tried it and am glad others have the option but I just can't enjoy it.

I have played a few PBEMs and enjoyed them so I can understand your affinity for H2H and the challenge of a real live human. All I can say is have some faith, I think they'll come through for you.

The redrawing...I think I have seen a bit of...maybe...sometimes the graphics will go from lighter to darker in the distance if I am up in the air and moving the mouse forward, like camera is refocusing the graphics. I guess that's what you are talking about? If so, it doesn't bother me that much, because like you said I am playing WEGO and a lot of times I'll replay the turn from the vantage of a cool moment, zoomed in tight so it doesn't happen then.

Mord.

No, just try to play an intense battle in RT and you'll probably see what I mean. Palm trees turning to low ress bitmaps and soldiers to scarecrows at random. I guess it helps to keep the frame rate stable but its really annoying.

I have faith, its BFC after all :) As a TCPer, I rather feel in the minority here and try to make my wishes heard.

One thing I'd like to see in Scenario Editor is some kind of ability to mark areas while in 3d-preview mode. Then you'd move back to map editor and the marked area would be shown with a rectangle or something. Then you could do some map changes while this guide area would be visible in map editor.

I made a screen shot where I marked this kind of "guide area" with red.

cmsf_map_area.jpg

It would be much faster to get things like setup areas correct. Or if you'd want to put trees to some area, this would be much easier to get right if you could mark these area borders while being in 3d preview where you can see height differences like they are while playing.

You could for example scroll the map to some point, mark first corner. Then scroll to next corner of your area, mark it and continue until all corners have been marked.

Actually a path consisting of several line segments might be even more useful guide drawing. You could easily make closed areas with it, but also mark roads etc.

Yes, it's your map alright :) Since I've noticed that you may get quite uneven units from quick battles, I decided to make scenarios with equal forces (or one team having just enough advantage) by using maps I've downloaded from cmmods. Now I'm planning something that would be played using units we'll get from the Marines module.

I can send my scenario to you once I'll finish it. I don't think your email address was in your profile though.

Hey Slowmo

I recognise that map (Rural no1). Please tell me your building a scenario on it, as I'd

love to see what can be done with it.

Petesmap.jpg

Jeez Pete, you're SO generous with your work. I LOVE creating new maps too but the REAL pleasure begins when I start playtesting it. I took that screenshot quickly just a few minutes ago to show it off for you.

I remember the first time I loaded this beauty up as a quick battle map and I got seconds per frame :eek: . But that was back in the v1.2 or v1.3 days. Since then, there have been a considerable improvement in performance. You're no mean scenario designer yourself so why don't you give it a go as well?

BTW, I eagerly await your marsh tile mod.