Generation Kill

Well, the show is over, I was wondering if everyone (well those who watched it anyway) might want to have a bit of discussion?

1) Did you like the show? Why or why not?

2) Favorite character?

3) Favorite moment?

Personally I liked the show. I liked the whole 'tell it how it was' feel to it. The show's creators didn't seem to gloss over anything. The whole series had a gritty feel to it, and I found it to be of a much better caliber than other shows or movies about OIF.

The character I could relate to most, was Trombley. My buddy Mike is kind of like him (he joined the army to kill people or so he says) he went to Iraq 4 times, and I never heard him say anything bad about the whole experience. He's kind of a psycho too.

My favorite moments in the series was listening to Person's rants about anything in particular. He definitely has a way with words. Also that bit in the last episode where Chaffin and those other guys break into the office. Chaffin asking for his 'big legged secretary' was hilarious. Those little moments of humor in between everything really gave the show a lot of character, and kind of reminded me of Band of Brother's Sgt Luz.

Watching Generation Kill was an experience I won't soon forget, and I'm glad I was able to see it. I will definitely be finding the book, and will be looking foward to reading it.

What are your thoughts, anyone?

I watched it and enjoyed it for the most part. However, to me it seem disjointed at times. There were several instances where the scene would cut and I'd be expecting more. Too many to list really. To answer your questions:

1. Overall, yes

2. Lt Fick - cared for his men, seemed genuinely interested in helping the Iraqi people.

3. Not really a moment, but how it showed the different personalities within each unit.

Kettler, Lucke,

I'll pick up the book as soon as I get paid. I had planned on reading it anyway.

NIX,

Lt. Fick had to put up with a lot of crap too. He held it together pretty good, and it was good to see that he was not just a "by the book" officer. I think the character really showed through in the last couple of episodes.

My friend was the air officer for 1st Recon Bn. He's written this rebuttal. Note it struck a nerve with Wright because he's made an extensive comment on his blog. I always fear people will take popular movies/books like this as ground truth...they always want to imagine these conflicts within the chain of command etc. Fick is painted as a hero/painted himself as a hero - hmmm he's written his own book too. Dartmouth, Harvard - can you say future Senator? Don't believe everything you read....

The Bn FAC's rebuttal

http://commentaryongenerationkill.blogspot.com/2008/06/...generation-kill.html

The ops chief's rebuttal

http://coinside.blogspot.com/2006/05/generation-kill-full-rebuttal.html

I am 6 Episodes in and am liking this show. I'll watch Episode 7 tonite.

Does Person remind anyone else of Randall from Clerks?

His nasally verbose rantings are classic Randall.

Some of the characters are a bit overblown I think, but it's entertaining.

Glad I missed out on all that Sandbox fun. I have a friend over there now on his 2nd tour.

When I was in(Army, not Marines), bitching and complaining was our secondary MOS.

I still think Band of Brothers was better.

Well, the show is over, I was wondering if everyone (well those who watched it anyway) might want to have a bit of discussion?

1) Did you like the show? Why or why not?

2) Favorite character?

3) Favorite moment?

I liked Poke. I loved his diatribes on the white man...dude must of been from every race on the planet when it fit the story.

And I loved Sgt Major Sixta...he's right up there with R. Lee Ermy's Drill Sgt in Full Metal Jacket. That ass chewin' he gave the one Marine for " fornicatin' " with his gas mask was hilarious.

Overall It was a pretty good show...wasn't all lefty like I was expecting from HBO...I thought it gave a pretty good account, without being to right leaning or left leaning.

The football game at the end really had me confused though. All of a sudden they are kicking the hell out of each other? I guess it was suppose to be stress being blown off?

One of my favorite moments was the audio at the end of the 6th episode where Poke and Chaffin were talking to the reporter. And the exchange between Rudy and Chaffin, after Rudy and the other guy sniped the two Iraqi with the RPG.

Mord.

My friend was the air officer for 1st Recon Bn. He's written this rebuttal. Note it struck a nerve with Wright because he's made an extensive comment on his blog. I always fear people will take popular movies/books like this as ground truth...they always want to imagine these conflicts within the chain of command etc. Fick is painted as a hero/painted himself as a hero - hmmm he's written his own book too. Dartmouth, Harvard - can you say future Senator? Don't believe everything you read....

The Bn FAC's rebuttal

http://commentaryongenerationkill.blogspot.com/2008/06/...generation-kill.html

The ops chief's rebuttal

http://coinside.blogspot.com/2006/05/generation-kill-full-rebuttal.html

Thank you for this, I'll read up on these when I get back from my flight. (I have a seven hour flight in an hour, wish me luck!)

I think you can still get to my friend's page...but here's the correct link.

http://commentaryongenerationkill.blogspot.com/

I just think it's funny that now there's been two books and a mini-series about a unit that hardly took casualties or saw as much fighting as others did - just because they happened to have a better writer embedded with them or maybe it would be more "creative" writer... ;)