So is it safe to assume the Brits Module won't take 13 months?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "logical dead end" for the Syrian forces I mean that we've already included most of the significant things they have available and have even added a few things which they currently do not have. The T-80 is something they would likely never, ever have because the T-90 is what the Russians are pushing these days. Likewise, there are all sorts of goodies that the Russians won't sell to anybody and even more things that are not on the top of Syria's shopping list. All of that stuff will form the basis of the CM:SF 2 Red Force.

Meta-tiles (semi-random maps for QBs) have not been tested yet because Charles hasn't started coding any of the QB stuff yet. We are confident that we can get meta-tiles won't present any significant problems for us.

Steve

So, anything to freshen up the experience for people playing Red? New unit organizations? more unconventional tactical options? New fortifications? Fortified buildings?

Fortified buildings?

1) go to the 'buildings' section of the map editor

2) Place a building at 45° on the map

3) go to the 'walls' section of the map editor

4) select one of the wall types

5) select the 45° wall section

6) surround the building with walls.

Et voila. Fortified building.

* You'll need to leave one of the sides blank - or use low walls - else you won't be able to get in or out.

* You may need to use low walls rather than high walls to avoid the windows being covered.

* Only works on the ground floor, obviously.

AKD,

The "refreshed" experience for the Red Force will come from having to tackle different Blue Forces. The way I think of it is having your regular assortment of T-34/85s and what not, then playing against the Romanians for the first time after a couple dozen battles with the Germans.

In general we aren't really concerned about the need to constantly "refresh" a particular force. There are people still playing CMBO for 8 years without any refreshing :)

Steve

Red on Red people will like a refreshed experience too:) Even above mentioned T35/85 will do. And retro Soviet equipment in general would be appriciated.

For some reason i cant play Red on Blue scenarios - inflicting 50-60 casualties on US force with regular Syrian infantry interferes with my sense of realism too much.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what is meant by "larger scope" in CMx2. Larger maps? Larger formations of units? Controlling anything over a company is abit of a strain atm (both, on a computer and player's micro managment skills), so i hope we don't go into brigade level of representation.

Looks like it's going to be at least 1.5-2 years till we see temperate setting with modern Russian stuff, so alot can change till then. One thing i noticed after playing CMSF extensively is that I'm alot less excited for a WW2 title, or rather not excited at all. After being skeptical of initial port to modern setting, i am completely converted. Modern combat rocks!

Ditto, as much of a history buff as I am I have to agree, another WWII, no matter how awesome really doesn't hold any interest for me. I mean come on, we have all been playing WWII themed games for umpteen million years. Although none as tactical or realistic as the Battlefront titles, how many times can we play the same battles over and over, no matter how graphically improved they are? I see the future as being CMSF. I think it is great they are supporting both titles, but I feel CMSF could have a huge market with the new patch. Alot of people dumped this game upon initial release because it was a cranky and buggy. I was one of them. When the last patch came out I discovered the best game I have ever played. I have not touched another game for months and with the great scenario designers out there it shouldn't ever get dull. I mean there is no comparable feeling in the WWII genre that is like watching a Javelin fire and destroy a tank across the board....priceless.

CMSF and it modules are one of the best out there (not withstanding the terrible mouse control that I experience for some reason).

I still have to admit that WWII (and probably Korea) holds much more interest though. When men were men and you got to see the whites of their eyes. I know there is a fascination with sending an AT rocket into the side of a tank but what about crawling up behind a KV tank that has put the hurt on your platoon and lobbing a grenade bundle under its treads.

Operation Bagration (and to a lesser extent Normandy) will provide me with that thrill. The same one I get every time I fire up CMBB/CMAK.

My biggest problem is that I will have to choose between running either CMBB/CMAK (Best bang for the buck I have ever had in a game) and soon to be CMC and running CMSF with all the bells and whistles if I finally get that ATI 4850/4870 card.(and yes, I am investigating a dual boot system).

I think the appeal of modern theme has more to do with the fact that we can relate alot more to what is going on. Instead of playing with museum peices, we get to play with that ERA covered T-55 we just saw on a news report. Never before CMSF i got to play with realistically modelled T-72s or witness a convincing ATGM launch!

And while i agree that Blue vs Red is not that exciting, Red vs Red has tons of potential and plays out in very WW2 way (tanks miss, infantry gets supressed, need to think about overwhelming enemy with firepower and etc.). CMx2 hopefully will equilize the sides abit:)

If I ran Battlefront I would have created a game that didn't have a storyline, and just create a game that has all of the countries and their modern day equipment and let the scenario designers go to it. Include a large pallet of colors and objects Make a simple graphic organizer that allows you alter skin color and uniforms.Think about it, Africa, N/S Korea, Russia, Middle East, ect. The engagements would be unlimited. Not to mention the equipment part would be easy, being that most countries buy their vehix from other nations, there wouldn't be too many more things to model. If you come up with a solid engine that would hold it's own for a few years, and you release country expansion packs every few months, it would be awesome. BUT..I don't run Battlefront and can only hope one day to see a game like this. Maybe it call Combat Mission: Future Engagements? For now we will twist and turn and mod everything and anything we can to create a stellar game that fits our personalities.

If I ran Battlefront I would have created a game that didn't have a storyline, and just create a game that has all of the countries and their modern day equipment and let the scenario designers go to it. Include a large pallet of colors and objects Make a simple graphic organizer that allows you alter skin color and uniforms.Think about it, Africa, N/S Korea, Russia, Middle East, ect.

Oh sure... and given the massive magnitude of work required have it finally get released in 2025? No thank you :P

surely don't give BF enough credit...the foundation is already there. I will of course take what I can, but I think it would have been a wonderful idea. All you are doing is making skins for soldiers and implement the main equipment each nation uses. Most nations use either US or Russian equipment, although there are somethings out there that would be unique. I don't think it would be as massive as you think.

The Louch,

I think that cabal23 is still talking about the content being released in Module form over time. Otherwise we would be talking about an early summer 2025 release :D

cabal23,

We carefully considered not having a storyline at all. The customers participating in those discussions with us broke into two very opposite camps. One said the same as you, which is "make a toolbox and forget about reality" and the other said "without reality the game will feel hollow and empty". Not easy to reconcile those two :D We were swayed by the "storyline" position because for the entire CMx1 series we heard over, and over, and over again that there wasn't enough emotional involvement in the game. It was stated, very plainly time and time again, that the CMx1 game system was too generic feeling. We firmly believe that this is the majority opinion within our customer base and by far the larger feeling in gaming as a whole. So that's the direction we feel we must continue going with.

Steve

I think it's not just the vihicles, it's accurate TO&Es that BFC attempts to simulate as well. And those things take time to properly research and implement.

For CMSF2 i would be contempt with NATO/Russia/China/Uncon faction (for scenarios). Skipping Russia would be just silly, considering the level of IFVs and new upgrades coming out of there (BMP-T, BTR-T, Sprut... the list goes on), plus all the variety.

China, while mostly unexciting AFV wise, it is a huge market for BFC...

I agree that storyline is rudimentary and not needed with CM titles, but I think they took the approach just to focus theatres more.

Thanks for the response BF! I am glad to know it was an option at one time. I am certainly glad you guys made the game you did. I am sure every person here has their interpretation of what the game could have been. I hope to be here by 2025 so I hope it's not completely out of the question..right? As for those naysayers who said it would be hollow, I doubt that with all the excellent scenario designers out there. Many of the scenarios I have played have had excellent briefings that really throw you into the mix and make it feel more real. I think you can still do a ton of things with this game. For instance I created a scenario(to be released soon on CMMODS) about a Marine Recon unit seizing drug fields in South America. Totally feasible with this engine. People will push the limits of this engine as much as possible. I always look at a scenario and ask myself what hasn't been done yet and how can I accomplish it. I am also working on a campaign of the seizure of a port city with docks. I am using the water mod and it looks fantastic so far. So the possibilities are there, it just would have been nice to have a more open palette of colors and flavor objects.