What's differences in SC2, WAW, PDE, etc.????

I'm rather more confused on the differences of these products... for one thing my d/l last night after I bought the game indicates SC2 Blitz is patched to 1.08but WAW came as 1.03 so I had to manually update to the latest 1.05 patch. That seemed odd, as a d/l game should already be patched to the latest version...

I don't see some of the scenarios in WAW that are in SC2 (particularly looking for the global game with Japan - it's there when I fire up SC2 but missing from the game list when I fire up WAW - my desktop has two different launch icons), am I missing something???

Looked further on the site to see side by side comparisons, and did not find any. There's PDE but is that a completely different animal? If I get that will some of the scenarios in the other game versions be missing?

Will future modules allow for larger game map in terms of how many "tiles" or is the max 256x128???

Must say the graphics and gameplay seem pretty nice. Looking forward to hours of play time.

Concerning your original question what the differences are between SC2, WaW and PDE:

SC2 is the original game, enhanced by the 2 expansions WaW and PDE. Therefore to play the expansions you also need SC2. But once they are on your computer they are treated like separate games, which means also that scenarios can only be played with the program they are made for (SC2 scenarios with SC2, WaW scenarios with WaW etc.).

The differences between them are in short:

- SC2 is the main pillar with its campaigns situated in central Europe WW2 (1939-1945/47). Clean and easy interface/movement/spotting rules, comparably fast scenarios and the standard Fall Weiss campaign perfectly balanced for competitive Multiplayer battles which makes it also perfectly suited if you want to play against other human players and put your strategic abilities to the test.

Bonus: World map Global Conflict

- WaW is much more detailed with roads/rails etc, also breaking down the unit types, making out of one SC2 unit now 2-3 WaW units. Scenarios can be/are also a lot larger concerning terrain. AI has been improved a lot - making it the perfect choice for long singleplayer battles against the AI.

Bonus: spanish civil war scenario starting 1936

- PDE more covers the post WW2 era, with different potential conflicts of Russia vs USA.

Even larger scenarios possible/included, AI further improved. Mostly completely different scenarios than SC2 and WaW. The expansion of your choice after you played SC2/WaW and couldn´t get enough from them and want a new challenge :)...also perfect to play against the AI where it doesn´t matter how long you need to complete a turn...:D

P.S.: Soon there will be a third expansion, covering the war in the Pacific against Japan :)

Terif,

Thanks for the info...that really helped explain some things particularly why the World Map was absent in WAW... really would love to play that using WAW with its new units, Ai, etc. Oh well... guess I'll have to wait for something or make my own.

Sea Monkey, thanks for the kudos. I'll be playing a bit of it first to get the feel. Will start tackling scenarios in the not too distant future. Not sure what I'll tackle first...

As I understand it, with the editor we can create scenario "battles" at just about any scale? So theoretically I could design Okinawa on an entire 256x128 map...is that right?

geozero I am working on that for PDE - it will take a long time but I plan on making it as detailed as possible. Map looks great so far using my new idea. But the map is sooooo big - even with lots of sea its gonna take time

So...you are making a world map for PDE, and we'll need to make it AGAIN for when Pacific Theater somes out??? There must be an easier way to port these. Or is the game code changing that much ion each expansion???