Any World at War players?

Runyan99

If you do get a game going, post a mini-AAR if you will, I'd be interested to see how it comes out.

I'm enjoying a beta-test game of Computer War in Europe II, not sure if you saw my screenshot post in the "Games you're waiting for" thread. The game is very simple to play, there was very little learning curve however it accurately simulates the largest board wargame ever made in both the rules and size of the map and number of units. There's a lot of units to manipulate, but I find that pbem turns take 10-15 minutes tops unless there's a big front that just opened up.

This game just went on sale for $5.90 over at gogamer.com. (no I will not post a link to it, I learned my lesson) ;)

Anybody here play Hearts of Iron II? If so, how does this game play compared to that? My friend got into it heavily, but I just couldn't. I found it way too tedious and it gave me headaches, literally. But for only 6 bucks I would be willing to give Garys World at War a try.

Yeah I don't like the realtime gameplay of HOI. I'm not really a fan of sliders either. The scale is similar between the two games, but WAW is turn based and has PBEM for 4 players. Research is WAW is a little simpler.

Ok, this sounds good to me, I was ok with the overall scale of HOI, but the RT gameplay had me fumbling around too much. For a game with such large scale, it felt like turn-based would better suit it. Also nice to hear it is simplified some.

On that note, I'm gonna pull out my credit card and head over to the gogamer site. :)

• 2 months later...
I have it on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. HOI 1 turned me off very quickly and I may not like this one either, but a guy I tend to trust has raved about it, and I got it bundled with several other games from the same house, so what the hell...?

Michael

I'm certainly liking WaW much better. Primarily due because it's turn-based and it seems to be a little simpler. Which in my case is exactly what I wanted. I just noticed the game went back up to $12.90, I got it on the midnight madness sale for only $3.90. I love GoGamer.com :)

HOI2 is feckin' superb, WaW is average. Just MHO of course. I still return to HOI2 occasionally after years.

Two tips:

1) The expansions (Doomsday & Armageddon) are recommended and they cost next to nothing.

2) MOST IMPORTANT :) Spend ten minutes with the message settings early on in your first game. Possibly play for a hour or two to figure out when you want the game to auto-pause, and what messages you can do without.

From the off I'd recommend an auto-pause whenever a unit reaches its destination, whenever a tech is finished, and whenever a battle starts or ends.

The message settings are a bit fiddly and require some thought but absoultely make the game when you have taken the time to set them up properly. Unfortunately the default message settings suck...

MeatEtr does your WAW have a license sticker over another number. I had to read the original number and then it let me upgrade. I have a white sticker over a yellow sticker that both have license numbers.

Nevermind, I just realised my CD is the latest version 1.202. Odd though as it gives me the wrong message saying my license key is invalid. Would of been nice if it told me I was already updated. Thanks anyway Teutonic.

How is the AI opponent in this game? Is it dumb, average, or sharp?

Michael

I have no idea, haven't played it that much. I guess I just can't get into these types of games. IMO micromanaging is not fun, it's a chore. I just don't have the time nor the patience for this stuff. :(