The MLB thread.

Frustrating game for Rangers fan. They start down 10-0 after the first inning and then down 12-2 after the 2nd only to fight all the way back and actually take a 16-15 lead after 7. They then proceed to give up 4 runs in the 8th and can only pick up one more run in the top of the 9th. Nice effort to come back after the game seemed over so early but a shame that the bullpen fell apart so late. The Rangers have had a number of big come-from-behind games this year and it's been fun to watch. I'm glad that they didn't sell the farm (so to speak) at the trading deadline, they have the makings of a good, young team with the usual caveat for them: they need pitching.

As an aside, some may recall that I mentioned my friend Ryan Ludwick (Cards). The last thing that I told him as he was leaving the gym the night before leaving for spring training was that he was going to have a break-out year and make the all-star team. My premonition came true and I'm so happy for him. We joke now that he's going to sign the big contract and then return to our little town with a "posse" all riding in a convoy of Escalades. :)

• 2 months later...

Go Rays!

Whew, that 8th inning was a nailbiter. Amazing that Price, who closed out the game for Tampa, is in his first season of pro ball and started the year out in "A" league. Can't wait to see him in the rotation for next season.

I was lucky enough to score two tickets for the first game of this series, where Dice-K totally shut down Tampa. Now let's see if lightning will strike twice and I win the ticket lottery and get to go to a World Series game.

I grew up in North Philadelphia. It took me 20 minutes to walk to Connie Mack Stadium. I was seven years old when the Phillies blew their seven game lead in 1964. I still remember the Philadelphia Bulletin (now defunct) showing all of the World Series tickets that had to be destroyed due to their collapse. Gene Mauch was a great manager who panicked. My heroes then were Johnny Callison, Rich Allen, Tony Taylor, Cookie Rojas, Chris Short and Jim Bunning. It cost 25 cents to sit in the bleachers. Going to the Phillies games was the only time I got to spend time with my father. My father never was close to me but we had the Phillies. These are the only fond memories I have of Dad.

I remember the 1980 Phillies and was walking down Broad Street with my lifelong friend Paul. Mike Schmidt said at the rally at old JFK stadium "take this championship and savor it". This team had Pete Rose, Steve Carlton (Lefty) Garry Maddox, Greg Luzinski and Larry Bowa.

Now I find myself one win away from a World Championship. I have not been able to add "World Champions" behind any Philadelphia team since 1983. At that time I was young--26 years old.

I am no longer a young man. May God allow me one more triumphant jaunt down Broad Street.

GO PHILLIES!

Curious to see what the ratings were for the Series (I'm too lazy to look it up). I know that there was almost no interest in it down here (unfortunately). Still, congrats to the Phillies, I had them as the underdog vs the Rays but they prevailed!

As an aside, my major leaguer buddy stopped by to say hello earlier in the week. He was all grins and we got a chuckly about my prediction of him going to the all-star game (as a player, not a fan :) Him and his wife are expecting their first child on December 7th (yes) and with his performance for the Cards this season, he's sitting pretty for the future. Lucky guy with some great talent; very nice kid (I say kid....he's nearly 1/2 my age).