New Player - Comments

Hi all I'm a new player to SC2 but an old time wargamer (World in flames, totaler krieg!, Advanced third reich, etc)

A few comments from my first few plays (please feel free to comment back - that's the point :) ) :

1. Denmark seems absurdly rock hard. I spent about a year and needed half the Luftwaffe to take it down. And it doesn't seem that the northern most coastal hexes of Denmark are eligable for amphib assault.

2. Air-Naval interaction. Navy is king. This is back to front, land based air should be scary to naval units. In one game I had half the royal navy just lining up on the French coast smashign luftwaffe units to pieces.

3. Desert - again, the royal navy can line up on the coast and deal out punishment to the Italians - this rarely happened in real life.

4. Sub combat - the AI seems rather efficient at killing uboats, they get mobbed en-mass.

very ahistorical. Not sure i like the whole uboat combat system, seems too zoomed in. Perhaps a counter system a la 'europe engulfed' would have worked better.

5.Naval combat - again, turns into a punch-counterpunch with units lined up along side each other. Doesn't seem to represent much of anything. Real life naval engagements were rather fluid with units evading each other and being hard to spot even in the day without uboat and air scouts pointing them out. There is no search mechanic at all here.

Also seems you can build 'walls' of naval units to prevent enemy penetration. Again, this has no bearing in real life.

all comments welcome..

1. Denmark: you should be able to take out Denmark easily within 1 round of combat or two even with bad combat results. Its kind of a mystery for me how Denmark is "rock hard"

2. Land based aircraft is scary to Naval units if you use the right units (Naval bomber) . Fighters are nearly useless against ships thats right if not trained and low tech.

3. seems that the italian fleet is sleeping if the british fleet can act and punish your ground troops

4. ------

5. Static warface is your death in naval conflicts against any human opponent. who attacks first usally can take out critical units from the other side .# => if the brithish fleet attacks your ground troops and the itlain fleet can surprise and attack its usally the end of the british fleet in the MEd.

I think overall the naval combat is set the way it is for simplicity and to give it some importance.I think if you start to try and make it to complicated and more realistic you then would have to start making ground combat more realistic which would then make the game unplayable.Imho the overall play balance is good.

Yes you are right Stuuk in that naval combat and the game as a whole is somewhat Ahistorical but so are prettywell all war games.Imho Hubert and everyone else have made this the best fairly easy WW2 war game system there is to learn and play.Its alot of fun and against another human its even more fun.

The only WW2 game ive ever played(board game)that imho was VERY historically accurate was Squad Leader.For those of you who have played it know ther is absolutly no way you could make any strategic WW2 game totally historically that accurtate and have any hope of ever finishing one turn,never mind a whole game.

As far as your number four comment goes,yes in the beginning the Allies didnt have the ships to go hunting subs but as the war progressed they formed sub hunting groups and thats all they did.If you or the A.I. choose to go off chasing subs then you are leaving England open to invasion.

Denmark is pretty much the easiest country to conquer:

Just use some airfleets to eliminate the defender (4 hours of Luftwaffe circling...) and then move a corps into the capital (place it at the border - don´t forget it needs motorization) and Denmark surrenders immediately - works 100% of the time if you do it in clear weather.

Air-Naval interaction (and also navy pounding ground troops): don´t place your units at the coast, they simply shouldn´t be there unless you want to lure enemy ships into a trap of course - what you did is just a beginner mistake. Especially never place air units where enemy ships can reach them with their cannons unless you have a damn good reason...same goes btw for never placing air in range of ground units or they will simply get overrun :).

Naval combat:

As long as your navy is inferior, you should evade the enemy and change positions fluidly so he can´t catch you. If you don´t do it and go in frontal assault mode, then you will get units lined up along each other and your fleet sunk within a few hours of combat ;). But if you do it right, then you will get a fluid naval battle where the smaller fleet has to wait for the right times with usually several small skirmishes in order to diminish the enemy naval power before any major actions can start...and never forget: scouting/reconnaissance with your air/carriers is key to naval victory :).