German Tanks Invade Indiana!

easy-v

SO, there I was driving home, westbound on I-80/94 after a 2 day gig in Grand Rapids, Michigan. About 10 miles from the Illinois border, I saw on the other side of the concrete-barrier divided highway, in one of the oncoming lanes, is a semi-truck with a flatbed trailer loaded with a Hetzer and a SDKFZ 251. Both spray painted glossy tan (almost the same color as the light brownish color in the default color scheme of this board).

I only got a brief glimpse, but the Hetzer had side short skirts, and some of the middle sections were missing.

1. Anybody know where these came from, and where they were going?

2. Why do people use glossy paint on military vehicles/aircraft? :mad::mad::mad:

The day got even more interesting once I arrived home. The door to the balcony from the kitchen was open, and a cute little green hummingbird decided to come and visit. He would not leave voluntarily, so I had to help him out to the balcony.

Probably from Austin, TX. There is a WWII reenactment group that keeps a Hetzer and SdKfz 251 at the museum at Camp Mabry. Both are in running condition, and if I recall, the 251 is painted with Afrika Corps markings and the Hetzer in "Ambush" pattern. The Hetzer is former Czechoslovakian Army, I think.

Technically, though gepanzert (armored), they're not tanks, but Jagdpanzers, a different German vehicle classification when assessing force strength and composition. Elite reenactors? Too funny! "Yo, Fred, newbie, hier is die elitische kartoffelpeeler, Erste Klasse!" Let me know when they get Tiger 2s.

Regards,

John Kettler

easy-v,

Could've had my own ex-Swiss G13 back in my high school days, but it was more money than I'd ever seen up to that point. As I recall, all I had to do was come up with shipping costs. That was depressing, but what really fried me was missing out on the incredible MGM prop auction. Wanted a pilum so badly I could taste it and was hoping to bid on a small Ben Hur catapult. Sigh. And, yes, I got the humor thing. I , in turn, was being humorous via being pedantic and making an elite potato peeler joke. Thought of invoking Mr. Flaming Picky, but that might've been trademarked!

Regards,

John Kettler

There is the 'Indiana Military Museum in Vincennes, though that is much farther south. http://www.indianamilitarymuseum.org/ I've never been.

I could swear that I had read an article in the Chicago Tribune within the last 5 years about a private collector that has some land in northern Indiana and had tanks including a Sherman, and maybe a Hetzer also. And I've driven by a farm house in Portage county that apparently has a small 'collection' in his front yard, though I remember it being 50's and 60's stuff, and maybe some trains too.