Assaulting a building fierce and agille.

One question. I'm new to the game I sometimes still have trouble coordinating my troop dismounts. Do you use a pause on a squad's initial dismount movement command so that they don't jump off the their Stryker before it even begins moving to assault?

Did you read this?

Pop-N-Drop

Troops will not dismount until the last waypoint is reached by the vehicle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't verify this through a saved game file, but I swear I've had it happen. Perhaps, I've just messed up the order of my commands or assigned them incorrectly (e.g. game my embarked troops a movement order rather than my vehicle).

Anyway, if you say that's how it works I'll take your word for it.

Oh have some faith in Chainsaw will ya?

Here is a savegame file for you to view.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2ovc0x3Mm1oMlUwTVE9PQ

Its probleby you who have mixed things upp, ive done it allot in the begining as well when I choosed the squad instead of the vehicle icon when ordering stuff. after a few catastrofic results you learn to doubblecheck you choosed right icon ;)

/Thomas

Oh have some faith in Chainsaw will ya?

Here is a savegame file for you to view.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2ovc0x3Mm1oMlUwTVE9PQ

Its probleby you who have mixed things upp, ive done it allot in the begining as well when I choosed the squad instead of the vehicle icon when ordering stuff. after a few catastrofic results you learn to doubblecheck you choosed right icon ;)

/Thomas

Thanks for the saved game! Yeah, catastrophic is definitely the right word. My guys look like the keystone cops whenever I do that.

• 1 month later...

a small extra question to clarify something for me, and please apologise as I have no firsthand military experience, which is probably where my question arises from...

it appears at least borderline gamey or exploitive to me for infantry to suppress enemy infantry who are on the next floor up in a building, since for the most part that would seem to involve shooting their weapons up through the ceiling. I would consider this to be at the very least messy (dust), possibly dangerous (falling plaster, bricks, etc.) for the attacker doing so, and maybe even pointless due to solid reinforced concrete ceilings in large buildings.

am I totally wrong here? is this actually how it's done in your training, chainsaw? i would think that going up one floor in a building during an assault (when I assume that you can only suppress enemies on that floor from inside the building once your men actually get up there, or from the outside before your men get up there) should be one of the most dangerous parts of the whole excercise, as the staircases are obvious bottlenecks for movement and ideal places for defensive ambushes...quite a bit easier to toss a grenade down a staircase than up one, for example. with your tactics and the way the game engine works, that difference between moving vertically through a building and moving horizontally through one of its floors is certainly nonexistent.

hoping for input here, always willing to learn :)

When clearing a building in combat you dont use the stairs by the reasons you name, they are often mined or the defenders have filled it with barbed wire and old furniture to stop you from moving there.

Instead you blow a hole in the roof, toss a few grenades up thrue the hole and quikly move up thrue the hole by ladders or using your friends as temporary ladders.

However I dont know how the US army deals with that in A-stan and Iraq, its not a infrastructure friendly way to clear buildings...

EDIT: here is a link from the swedish manual on how to breach a floor, just giving a hint on what I mean.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Magnusson/CMSF/floor.jpg

I really don't know how Chainsaw has been trained, but general guides provided to me stressed heavily to use of fire, hand grenades and most of all TNT-chunks (shaped charges, stachel charges etc) to create entry-holes and such. When going thru door you suspect is held by enemy you shoot couple of bursts, throw in grenade or both... And possibly shoot half your mags, throw all you grenades and TNT-chuncks too. :D

I can see Chainsaw's princible sound and not gamey in this aspect. If you have to go thru stairway you expect to be held by enemy, you would try to use any means at you disposal. Sure CMSF shows this as men shooting randomly at ceiling, while idea of it might not be.

I've never had army-issued MOUT-training (if manuals are not counted). Didn't belong to trainingprogram of mine.

EDIT: Oh. I was too late again.

No worries, Secondbrooks, additional input always welcome.

As I have mentioned, I have zero military experience and hope never to need any in RL, but I have also done well enough playing CM so far using the intelligence and common sense thankfully available to me. However, gaining some knowledge of how things are actually done by real soldiers and their commanders may someday allow me to play CMSF at elite level and actually see at least a handful of the enemy units before being blown to kingdom come, so I appreciate anything you guys are willing to share :D

• 3 months later...
For clearing buildings the Marine Corps way, you find the fastest route to the roof, get there, then blow through the building like a Texas Tornado, going down and out, forcing the enemy to either die in place, or run out into the street to be gunned down by the crew serves in place on the street level.

What happens when you're on the proverbial outside looking in? As in your squad is at street level itself, would it breach, go the stairwell, get on the roof, then go back down and methodically clear the building?

In-game, I don't think that's really possible, since buildings typically don't have rooms as it were.

Primarily, you want to look for an external route up to the top floor or roof, like an external stairwell, a secured building (blow through the wall), or a covered climbing position. Otherwise you're forced to clear the building either from the ground up, or secure the portion of the building with the starwell at every level on your way up and then clear the ancilliary rooms from the top down.

• 5 months later...

I would just like to add and I do not know if its an issue since the Brits expansion or not, but I would NOT recommend using the "Target" option for suppression, this WILL cause Friendly fire casualties and could well kill the assaulting troops, you NEED to use "Target Light" to stop friendly fire possibilities.

Otherwise a very nice write-up and proceedure I now use for assaulting building either with just infantry or with vehicle support :)

Thanks Starlight!

Well, the TARGET issue is only relevant to US MARINES who use the M32. the issue was detected and reported here.

So any other troop exept US MARINES can use TARGET as usual, US MARINES need to use TARGET LIGHT to avoid using the M32. Just did a test with British infantry and there was no suppresion or friendly fire there.

However I recommend using TARGET LIGHT anyway as TARGET use up grenades and AT-4s to fast for more then 2 floors.

/Thomas

Thanks Starlight!

Well, the TARGET issue is only relevant to US MARINES who use the M32.

Every time I run the test with British Light Infantry who are armed with LAW's etc they will use them inside the building causing Friendly Fire.

I also tried an assault with a Warrior sat using suppressive fire on the Ground Floor:

Target Light orders for the Warrior worked great the squad assaulted the ground floor.

Target orders for the Warrior killed 5 and wounded 1 in the assault squad as the 30mm chewed them up!

intressting, did some more tests and it turns out its not only the US Marines M32 that has that issue, the british UGL creates the same thing when on TARGET command...

So only really acceptable command in clearing building nowadays is TARGET LIGHT .

and about the Warriors HE, jepp confirmed as well... never noticed it before as I only shoot a short burst HE and then use MG to save up on the few HE rounds I got... nice find.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but how are you giving multiple area attack orders during planning, especially if the infantry isn't in LOS of the building (while in stryker)?

The game seems to only let me put one attack order at once, and even then only if it's within the LOS right then.

Dunno did i understand what your after, but you can set one target order for each waypoint, by clicking that white "bubble" in waypoint's destination (you can do alot of interesting things with that). I don't remember how that happens if guys are in vehicles, it should be possible.

Example:

Squad moves at it's 1st waypoint put in front of door (but does no enter yet) it has area fire target attached to first floor

2nd waypoint is in building's first floor and it has area target order attached to second floor

3dr waypoint is in second floor and it has area fire order attached to third floor

etc...

So squad rushes for door, when they reach it they start firing at 1st floor [you may imagine them to stack up at door sneakly, then commit blizt action with lots of fire]. At door they rush into 1st floor while swifting their fire to 2nd floor. from there they start to rush for 2nd floor while swifting fire at 3rd floor. Rinse and repeat or sumthin.

Hint: You need to click that white bubble in waypoints destination to make that happen. You can also issue pauses and such.

I use target orders attached to waypoints alot! Mostly when i seek out hull down positions. Great tool and i don't know how i survived earlier! Well i played mostly US :D

Ps. Sorry if i got you wrong.

Assualting an occupied building with infantry should be a last resort. You can't simply pound defenders out? And do you need to use that building? With all the ATGMs I might just advance on foot if you can suppress and clean out the enemy positions. It might get a bit hairy, but I think you could work your way up if you have enough 5.56 and support from your vehicles. Or you could address the ATGM threat first if possible.

But before you do anything on foot make sure you've "prepared" the approach route by finding and killing every threat you can. Then just bound your way up and pour fire on any threats that pop up. That pooh mission is a bad situation all around, so it depends on what you want to take and what your situation is.

I havn't had a look at this thread for a long time - it is really good stuff. Chainsaw, can I add it to the community strategy guide?

Hcrof, I didnt notice your post before, ofcourse you can use this material for the community guide, and all the other posts ive written before about other tactical stuff.

/Thomas