It finally runs

gautrek

Some of you may recall the bike i am doing up and have been for months.

Well i finally got it on the road this week and even got it MOT'ed as well.

I am nearly legal now.

I have had a few issues with it this weekend.But i expected this any way.Once i get a new voltage regulator i should be OK as i shorted they one i have out by mistake.

Name and specs please?

Its a 1975 M66 Ural.All 650cc and 35 ish(very ish) BHP

Made in the good old USSR.

Its a Russian version of a BMW.They brought the rights to make the original version just prior to WWII.They based it on a 750cc side valve BMW and Steib sidecar. The sidecar is still the same style but the bikes obviously got changed as the years went by.

I briefly rode a bright green police version of the Ural Sidecar outfit, mistakenly sent to Australia in a batch of ordinary Urals. There was an extra lever near the kickstarter, and when you pressed down on it, it poked through the casing and rubbed on the engine flywheel, and that set off the siren (you varied the siren's pitch by pulling in the clutch and blipping the throttle). When I say I rode it 'briefly', I mean about three days, until it expired.

I was road-testing bikes for a local bike magazine back then (called REVS Motorcycle News, hence the user name – when I signed up here many years ago there was a REVS sticker on my filing cabinet, so as this was my first ever forum membership anywhere and I didn't know any better, I thought wtf, REVS it is).

Does your Ural still have those evil flat-slide carburettors, or have you fitted something civilised?

Anyway, I'm green with envy – I ain't got nothing right now – nice outfit!

Wot? No helmet?

Ha. That's what I wondered when I saw the video. A quick look on the web revealed that one is only required to wear a helmet in England when riding a two-wheeled vehicle. Unless I was reading from an out-of-date site. *shrug*

Would be fun to ride that bike while dressed like Red Baron Snoopy...

snoopy.jpg

Awesome bike! Is it hard to get parts for it? I'd love to have a bike with a side car on it. It would make grocery shopping a little easier for one thing. :)

I got into an accident on mine last week, so I won't be able to ride for a little while. The bike came out without too much damage. I need to replace the left foot peg and shifter. Once my knee heals enough to allow my foot to get onto the peg I'll be riding again though. The people I work with tell me I need to get a car. They just don't understand.

Awesome bike! Is it hard to get parts for it? I'd love to have a bike with a side car on it. It would make grocery shopping a little easier for one thing. :)

No mate.I got most of my bits off flea bay.With the pound being so strong against the Euro last year i got some bargains.Like 1 PAIR of heads complete with all the valves and springs.(£170 EACH in the UK) for £100 delivered from the Ukraine, 4 off rockers (£45 each here) for £40 delivered.

The prices make people weep.

They are still making and selling Urals.They are up to 750cc now with 45 ish BHP.They come with electric start and all mod cons.In fact if you want to go off road they also make a 2WD model called the gear up.

check out this forum

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/index.php?sid=301b85d8e67553edb3cca4f82295fd32

Wot? No helmet? Gordon Brown will be very displeased.

Nice ride.

I wouldn't worry too much about the no helmet as i wasn't taxed or insured or MOt'ed either.So No helmet was the least of my worries.I am now totally legal but am expecting a massive fine for the tax.As i haven't SORN'ed this bike as i don't agree with it.So we could be looking at a £1000 fine.

Does your Ural still have those evil flat-slide carburettors, or have you fitted something civilised?

No mate i fitted MK1 Amals years ago.As i got pissed off with the petrol tap leaking and then the carbs leaking.So i fitted a Jawa fuel tap as its a LH thread.

My bike now has the reverse gearbox fitted.This always make people laugh when you reverse away from a parking space.In fact i used to make sure i parked nose in so i had to reverse.Here is a picture from around 1985 of me backing out of my dads front drive with my late granddad laughing at the fact we are going in reverse.

bike6.jpg

here is a before shot from around the same time,As you can see Russian chrome leaves a little to be desired

bike.jpg

I must admit i always smile when i am on this bike as the sidecar is on the wrong side for over here.I have had people point and wave at me in the brief rides i have had since Friday.You can see them do a double take as they register the fact that its LH drive.I must admit i am having some issues with it at the moment.like the valve guides were fouling the bottom of the valve washer and bending the pushrods on one side.So i have had to hand grind a couple of MM of the tops.Plus its not charging yet as i think i shorted the voltage regulator out.(£10) for a new solid state one.

But i expected a few issues like this.

Gautrek,

You can still see Urals puttering around villages in rural Ukraine these days. Although, sad to admit, Vespa scooters are making inroads.

Seems like your parts supplier is getting you good stuff at a fair price, but if you run up against a dead end give me a shout, with a little digging I could probably find some contact info for suppliers over here.

Gautrek,

You can still see Urals puttering around villages in rural Ukraine these days. Although, sad to admit, Vespa scooters are making inroads.

Seems like your parts supplier is getting you good stuff at a fair price, but if you run up against a dead end give me a shout, with a little digging I could probably find some contact info for suppliers over here.

Hi mate i hadn't realised you were over their.In fact my guy off flea bay is from Kiev.

Any chance you can take some photos of some of the bikes out there.As i know a few guys who would be interested.

I wouldn't worry too much about the no helmet as i wasn't taxed or insured or MOt'ed either.So No helmet was the least of my worries.I am now totally legal but am expecting a massive fine for the tax.As i haven't SORN'ed this bike as i don't agree with it.So we could be looking at a £1000 fine.

feel for you with the sorn

Earlier this year I had an unpleasant and expensive spring surprise in the post from the DVLA of a minimum penalty of £40 + £7.84 arrears! for not reSORNing at the turn of the year, as my previous declaration expired in 31 Dec 07 on my old ali salt rotted dismembered winter hack GPZ600R in the back garden.

My excuse of not having received the reminder wouldn't cut it as apparently there is "legal precedent that specifically removes non-receipt as a defence."

The nasty 5pt small print is "We will normally send you a reminder when your SORN declaration is about to expire."

Looks like they're 'taxing' if you're going too fast or not bleedin well moving at all! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

How long has yours been off the road? Is it old enough to being a classic and thus exempt?

How long has yours been off the road? Is it old enough to being a classic and thus exempt?

No mate

Its 2 years to young to qualify for no tax.Its been off the road around 20 years.So i could owe them a lot of back tax.Its about time they got rid of the bloody road tax and stuck it on petrol.There is no sane reason not to do it.

It would appear that due to my bike being off road before the bleeding sorn law came into being i'm safe.But now its taxed the bloody law applies to it.Bleeding government.More bloody taxes.But at least i can look on the bright side.

I shouldn't be going fast enough to worry about bleeding speed cameras.In fact i am a mobile chicane at the moment slowing traffic down.I think i broke the 30mph barrier today:)