Tiger Force vs Platoon story line

Tero

Just spent two days glued to M. Sallah and M Weiss book Tiger Force.

Fascinating reading. What struck me was the apparent/perceived similarities between the actual events such as similar name of the "bad" sarge (Barns vs Barnett), approximate date (1967), the attrocities and the unit interaction dynamics described in the book and the Platoon movie story line. I always took Platoon to have been an allegoric hyberbole but after reading the book I think I will have to watch the movie again with new eyes.

I do not recall this issue being discussed in the old forum when the story broke out in 2003 (?).

Has the Platoon parallel been floated around before ? The original investigation conclusions were canned in 1975. Could Stone have had access to the Tiger Force info to piece together his story from seemingly generalized and/or ficticious "composite character" parts which turn out to have been really based on actual events and characters ?