What's the Point w/o Vista?

76mm

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in CMC, and I for one have been interested for a long time.

I still play CMBB very frequently but it's come to the point where I need to replace my computer, and more likely than not it will be Vista, which sadly would mean no more CMBB.

I would guess that a lot of existing XP machines are going to be replaced in the near future with Vista boxes. If CMBB doesn't work in Vista, doesn't that severely limit the size of the potential market for CMC?

This isn't a bash, I'm just curious if the developers intend to launch this project w/o addressing CMBB's Vista incompatibility? On the other hand, an exclusive Vista-upgrade bundled with CMC would probably do quite a bit to bump sales.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary problem is with Nvidias 8800 cards not working in Vista when playing CMx1. Not necessarily an incompatibility with CMBB and Vista. At least thats how I understood it, since I too will be getting a new pc soon. But I'm still contemplating sticking with XP.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary problem is with Nvidias 8800 cards not working in Vista when playing CMx1. Not necessarily an incompatibility with CMBB and Vista. At least thats how I understood it, since I too will be getting a new pc soon. But I'm still contemplating sticking with XP.

You might be right; I've read the thread in the CMBB forum, and it sounded more complicated than that...is it only one video card that doesn't work with CMBB under Vista? I thought it was a broader problem than that?

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in CMC, and I for one have been interested for a long time.

I still play CMBB very frequently but it's come to the point where I need to replace my computer, and more likely than not it will be Vista, which sadly would mean no more CMBB.

I would guess that a lot of existing XP machines are going to be replaced in the near future with Vista boxes. If CMBB doesn't work in Vista, doesn't that severely limit the size of the potential market for CMC?

This isn't a bash, I'm just curious if the developers intend to launch this project w/o addressing CMBB's Vista incompatibility? On the other hand, an exclusive Vista-upgrade bundled with CMC would probably do quite a bit to bump sales.

CMBB works just fine under Vista. It's amazing how these rumors can start.

The problem, as far as I know, is only with Vista drivers for the GeForce 8800 cards. It should work, but doesn't, which means either buggy drivers or a deliberate break of compatibility.

I have Vista and an Nvidia 8800 card - and, now, no problems.

Originally I suffered the same multiplying screen problem as was common to the above combination, rendering CMBB unplayable.

However, by tickering with the setup, specifically for CMBB (and CMAK), everything works OK now - a little slower than I remember but I can live with that.

Can't remember the exact setup but will look it up if any one is interested.

Hi James, I would be very interested to know how you got it to work properly? I could get it to work, but very badly to the point where it was unplayable.

I decided to reinstall XP Pro SP3, and with my 8800 GS DX10 card it now works perfectly, and very quickly. But I would like to reinstall Vista as some new games have extra DX10 functionality.

NVidia broke DX5 comptibility in the DX10 drivers (ATI probably, too, but who cares?).

The DX10 drivers are only used when you have both of (a) Vista and (B) a DX10 card such as Gefore 8xxx or 9xxx card.

Otherwise you have DX9 drivers and they work for CMx1.

So I take it when playing CMx1 with Vista and a DX10 card that the DX10 drivers are being used? If this is the case, then is it possible to make CMx1 run under the DX9 drivers?

So I take it when playing CMx1 with Vista and a DX10 card that the DX10 drivers are being used? If this is the case, then is it possible to make CMx1 run under the DX9 drivers?

You cannot use the DX9 drivers if you have vista and a 8xxx or 9xxx card, NVidia won't let you.

You cannot use the DX9 drivers if you have vista and a 8xxx or 9xxx card, NVidia won't let you.

Thats not entirely true, I have read that some games give you the option between DX9 and DX10(Bioshock, Crysis). But these are newer games, I guess the old games like CMx1 would require somekind of a patch/update.

Thats not entirely true, I have read that some games give you the option between DX9 and DX10(Bioshock, Crysis). But these are newer games, I guess the old games like CMx1 would require somekind of a patch/update.

You mix up API and drivers.

The DX10 drivers provide the API for DX9, DX8 etc.

The DX9 drivers provide APIs for DX8 DX7 etc.

You can run a DX9 program on DX10 drivers but you still use NVidia's DX10 drivers, using the DX9 calls. The DX5 calls that NVidia's DX9 drivers provide work for CMx1. The DX5 calls that NVidia's DX10 drivers provide are broken.

If you have Vista and a DX10 capable card, NVidia gives you no choice than using the DX10 drivers.

Hi James, I would be very interested to know how you got it to work properly? I could get it to work, but very badly to the point where it was unplayable.

I decided to reinstall XP Pro SP3, and with my 8800 GS DX10 card it now works perfectly, and very quickly. But I would like to reinstall Vista as some new games have extra DX10 functionality.

Hi Phil

These are my settings. Bear in mind that I have very little clue as to what they are and it may be possible to optimise further, especially on the speed issue.

Anisotrpic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing gamma : on

" mode: override

" setting: 16xQ

" transparency: supersampling

Conformant texture clamp : use open GL spec

Error reporting: on

Force minimaps: billinear

Multi display: compatabilty perf. mode

Stereo: use onboard DIN

Texture filtering Anisotropic : on

" " Negative Loss bias: allow

" " Quality: performance

" " trillinear: on

Threaded option: on

Triple Buffer: on

Verical Sync: force off

Hope that helps

I'm still getting an "unhandled exception", which the CMBB FAQ says is related to DX. Since I won't mess around with my box - concerned about breaking other stuff - I'll have to wait until CMBB is DX10 compliant. If CMC is to be successful, it will have to support DX10 - very few buyers will be savvy or gutsy enough to downgrade to 9.

I'm still getting an "unhandled exception", which the CMBB FAQ says is related to DX. Since I won't mess around with my box - concerned about breaking other stuff - I'll have to wait until CMBB is DX10 compliant. If CMC is to be successful, it will have to support DX10 - very few buyers will be savvy or gutsy enough to downgrade to 9.

From their comments, I don't believe Battlefront has any intention in making CMBB compliant with vista & DX10.

You miss the point. CMx1 is a DX5 game.

What is broken is DX5 compatibility in NVidia's DX10 drivers.

For my mind, this is the point. Many former players of CMBB have "upgraded" their pc's with vista and a modern graphic card. As you say, nvidia dx10 dirvers are not compatible with dx5, therefore CMBB is unplayable for those of us who have "upgraded".

It doesn't matter if it's a nvidia problem or a battlefront problem, the game remains unplayable.

As much as I was looking forward to this product, there is no point in my purchasing it until either nvidia or battlefront resolves the compatibility issue.

My question is whether or not CMC will work with 32-bit Vista with an ATI 4870 graphics card. Will it? I have actually been enjoying my Matrix game: Panzer Command: Kharkov. Not nearly as good as CMx1 but at least it is Vista and wide-screen compatible. Bottom line is that I'm back playing an enjoyable WWII game.

It's my understanding that when you buy a new computer (if you aren't skilled like some of us building your own) that you can request XP INSTEAD of Vista be installed as your operating system. Specialty shops will easily do this for you and you'll really get a better deal and a much better computer if you use a specialty shop over a retail store like Best Buy or Walmarts (they always have crap hardware installed on the motherboards and most gamers have to buy and reinstall better stuff anyways afterwards). I myself will not buy Vista or any other future OS until I absolutely have to and with the games I play that's gonna be a pretty long time as it was like 2005 before I even upgraded from Win98 to XP.

I have my system purring playing new games and old DOS games using XP and I'll be damned if I upgrade just because something new is out there. Remember NEW doesn't always mean BETTER or FASTER. I don't play shooters and scooters so I don't really care about the glitz and glamor of a faster card. Long as my wargames will play and those from Battlefront, Matrixgames, Paradox and HPS/Sharapnal do I don't really care what the rest of the world does. So, if you bought or upgraded to Vista you've just joined the rest of the fools in the world that follow the pied piper of technology. lol