Whirlwind of Vietnam(Chopper Sim) Sale

Like me, I know there was a few around here that was interested in this game. At least in the old forum. It was released in April of last year to pretty bad reviews. See for yourself, Gamespot 3.6 and another low 1up score here. But the point of this thread is a heads up about gogamer.com that is pretty much giving them away for only $1.90 from their 48hr madness sale. Anyways, just wanted to pass the word on.

I also picked up another Vietnam era game, an FPS called "Men of Valor" for only $2.90.

Hope this thread is ok and doesn't fall under the category of commercial.

Hope this thread is ok and doesn't fall under the category of commercial.

The thread is ok, but the link directly to the gogamer product page is commercial. I removed it and issued you an infraction (temporary, no worries).

Really, I'm only worried about direct links. What you did with gogamer.com, not hyperlinking it, for example, is perfectly ok. That's the line we're drawing here and it's pretty clean, yet still allows to chat about stuff like this.

About the only Vietnam War related game I've played that was any good is "Vietcong" (and it's expansion "Fist Alpha") by Pterodon. A mission-oriented FPS, you start out in the early sixties (with WW2 era equipment), work yr way up through some vintage French and / or Warsaw Pact armaments, and finally, the venerable M16.

Some of the later missions --- especially the Firebase Apache mission --- are extremely challenging.

Whirlwind actually had quite the impact on me.

At the end of 2006 I sent, in a very excited manner, a list of "look what great stuff is coming in 2007" to the TacOps mailing list. I didn't remember much of that until I stumbled upon that message early in 2008. Very basically, 2/3rds of those 2007 games didn't make it out and almost every single one that did sucked major donkey balls, or was straight no fun.

The thread is ok, but the link directly to the gogamer product page is commercial. I removed it and issued you an infraction (temporary, no worries).

Really, I'm only worried about direct links. What you did with gogamer.com, not hyperlinking it, for example, is perfectly ok. That's the line we're drawing here and it's pretty clean, yet still allows to chat about stuff like this.

Ok sorry about that Moon. Yeah the direct link to the game is the part I was unsure about. For now on for me, when in doubt, don't post the link. Btw, do I hold the dirty sacred priviledge of being the first with an infraction on the new forums? :P

About the only Vietnam War related game I've played that was any good is "Vietcong" (and it's expansion "Fist Alpha") by Pterodon. A mission-oriented FPS, you start out in the early sixties (with WW2 era equipment), work yr way up through some vintage French and / or Warsaw Pact armaments, and finally, the venerable M16.

Some of the later missions --- especially the Firebase Apache mission --- are extremely challenging.

Hell yeah man, Vietcong is not only the best Vietnam based FPS, but one of the best FPS I've ever played. I too played through the x-pack Fist Alpha. Amazing to me this game received only average reviews when it was released. I played it online quite a bit too, theres still a decent crowd playing online even today. I also got Vietcong 2(gogamer sale too) despite the bad reviews. But it does runs like crap and is nowhere near as polished as the original. Just another rush job to try and cash in on the originals success.

I'm well aware this "Men of Valor" FPS doesn't hold up to the same standard that Vietcong set. But figured for only $2.90 what the hell.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for reminding me of disappointment...

care to share?

I'ld be really interested to hear your concise description of hwat is wrong with that game and why it is no entertainment as a VN chopper sim even with its shortcomings. I was really looking forward towards thisone but lost track. Still, its on my "some day when I have more time" list of games I was gonna take a look at.

thanks

care to share?

I'ld be really interested to hear your concise description of hwat is wrong with that game and why it is no entertainment as a VN chopper sim even with its shortcomings. I was really looking forward towards thisone but lost track. Still, its on my "some day when I have more time" list of games I was gonna take a look at.

thanks

I'm on vacation right now, so my copy should be sitting on my porch. But whenever I get back and have time for it I'll be sure to post some feedback on it. If you want to, go check gamerankings.com for feedback too.

care to share?

thanks

SimHQ used to have a dedicated forum, but I think they eliminated it recently. The posts may still exist in their archive. I remember reading the posts after it came out. The gist was that it incomplete to the point a lot of people couldn't run it. Models were unfinished. Few missions and those that were there were incomplete. The company, I think they were G5, disappeared and no technical support was provided. There were some very irate customers on that forum.

• 2 weeks later...

For the few that actually care, I finally got around to playing this game. But the game barely runs on my PC even though I meet the recommended specs, not the minimum. I only played the first 2 missions out of the 10 the game offers. The missions took a long time to load, about five minutes, not good for any game. So I can't really offer much feedback due to the horrible performance of the game.

But for the times I did manage to play with ok FPS, the game wasn't half bad. Despite bad performance, in the first mission I was able to destroy the tiny village near the hot LZ of my landing troops. Apparently the game centers around Col. Moores battle made famous in the movie "We Were Soldiers". The second mission had me attacking a couple of mortar positions, but the performance was just too bad. (uninstalled)

Ah well, it was worth a try. :(

My specs are:

P4 3.2GHz

1G RAM

Geforce 6800GT

(exactly meets the listed recommended specs)

P.S. If anybody wants to give it a try then send me 3 dollars via paypal and I'll mail the game to you.