Preview Tease

KG_Jag

The AI will most probably be "dumb", in the sense of "not coming up with brilliant or surprising moves" - but it will do what it is coded to do. So, in the end, it'll depend on the parameters the coder gave the AI to act and/or react to a given situation and if those parameters involve some amount of, say, "error probability" like a human player might show.

What will happen in the long run is that a regular player will adapt to the way the AI handles things, but the AI will stay as coded, which renders the term "artificial intelligence" somewhat obsolete (my friends and I, for example, rather refer to the common AI as "artificial dumbness" becasue of that) and euphemistic.

Eventually we're down to a pure numbers game again for most campaigns - if the AI has a huge advantage in material and supply, it'll get very difficult even for seasoned players. Notwithstanding the fact that the TacAI might still as dumb as ever - which could at least ruin battles in heavily forested terrain...

I got a differing opinion on the dumb ai move. If the commader in charge of the group was cautious or incomptent and that move across the river was infact AI-scripted then I say 'all the better'. That is some nice AI, we know the commanders rating already involves what decisions the ai makes in attacking or being cautious, but it be nice to not know what the AI is planning and make some incomponetent mistakes if the commander is imcopontent.

AI always moving forward is predictable, like in cmbb actual game, i just set up a defence and let them run into my bulk, having a little bit of unpredictablity is always good, even if the AI makes mistakes.

How many players can play online, in this first release?

It's WEGO and PBEM included in CMC's operational level?.

It's possible to send the CMBB's setups, of several battles happening in a single CMC's turn, to different players and wait for the results to continue the turn in CMC?. (by TCPIP or PBEM)

Those three questions are a MUST for the FAQ.

I just read the pdf. Very nice indeed.

I have one question.

I saw somewhere command delays and REPORT delays. It is the latter i want to ask a question about.

What types of reports are the ones we are talking about?

Is it information about friendly status on the operational map? Is it information about enemy movement or spotting there?

I always beleived that this feature and the introduction of friendly fog of war and delay of gathering of information creates a realistic "command atmosphere".

I am dissapointed when i see cases when a player has real time information about percentage of casualties, fatigue or supply levels.

I got a differing opinion on the dumb ai move. If the commader in charge of the group was cautious or incomptent and that move across the river was infact AI-scripted then I say 'all the better'. That is some nice AI, we know the commanders rating already involves what decisions the ai makes in attacking or being cautious, but it be nice to not know what the AI is planning and make some incomponetent mistakes if the commander is imcopontent.

AI always moving forward is predictable, like in cmbb actual game, i just set up a defence and let them run into my bulk, having a little bit of unpredictablity is always good, even if the AI makes mistakes.

But in this case all AI caution did was take the pressure off the player, if it kept charging it would make things a lot more difficult. If the AI is going to be dumb, it's better if it's at least aggressive, instead of just sitting around and letting the timer run out. Anyway, perhaps it's too much to read into a single incident, the AI did seem to be pretty intelligent in sneaking around the flank.

• 4 weeks later...

The AAR indicated there are different aggressive levels available for the AI.

Prokhorovka Assault scenario. From Page 1 of 33

"In CMC I select the Prokhorovka Assault scenario and decide to play as German. I set the Russian AI to play with a medium level of aggression."

In all the CM games, If you were to choose veteran for a specific Battalion, you would not get all veteran troops. Some will be regular, some crack. It was my thinking that the AI Btn and Co commanders would be affected in the same manner. Some bold, others cautious. It seemed clearer to me when I read the AAR that different units acted quite differently. One unit turns the flank and attacks forcefully, then later another unit abandones his comrades to "wither on the vine".

Can I get on the BETA list yet?????

Still play Combat Mission almost every day.