Anyone seen the Dark Knight yet ?

Anybody see the Dark Knight yet ? Is it as good as the critics are saying ?Is it the best comic book movie of all time ?

I sure think so. I had a blast at it at the midnight showing on Thursday night. I'm quite looking forward to seeing it again. It's the "Empire Strikes Back" to Batman Begins' "Star Wars." I also find The Dark Knight's version of the Joker to be probably my favorite in any medium. Ledger is brilliant, though he's so transformed in the role that you don't realize it's him most of the time.

It is also pretty uncompromising and if anything was treated too softly by the ratings board - it's probably the hardest PG-13 I've ever seen, especially given what it takes to get an R these days.

I don't remember the last time I had such high expectations for a movie that actually still impressed me this much. Maybe "Fellowship of the Ring," but I liked this better and don't have any of the reservations I did about that film. Highly recommended. I'm going back to catch it on IMAX this week.

An excellent film, the best of series by far.

Scott is bang on about the rating though... it should have been "R". A couple of families brought their kids (probably no older than 6) and the kids were terrified. And of course it didn't cross the mind of the parents that they could just leave.

Ledger is absolutely brilliant. I actually had reservations and doubts when people were talking about Oscar consideration. He normally plays the same character in all his films so I didn't know what to expect. He was totally transformed. I thought Jack played the Joker really well but Ledger's version is the psychopath I expected from the later comics.

I recomend this one with no reservations.

I too had reservations, I thought the talk of Oscar was mere guilt and such over previous nominations or should haves. Not so. I was watching the Joker, not Heath, the entire running time of the film.

I thought the film stronger, in many ways, than Batman Begins. I'm planning to watch the Jok-- err Dark Knight, again, this week.

"Where's the pencil?"

Very enjoyable movie. Like most superhero movies it works best if you don't think about it too much, lest you begin to wonder about the impossible logistics that would be required for the Joker's various escapades.

Speaking of which, one of the downsides to the mesmerizing presense of the Joker is that he steals the show from Batman. It almost seems like the Joker is the real main character and everyone else, Dark Knight included, is the supporting cast. Some confusingly shot action scenes (a Hollywood staple these days, alas) were a disappointment, and Christian Bale's annoying gutteral Batman voice had me wishing someone would offer him a cough drop. I also have mixed feelings about the realistic Gotham (Chicago, actually) as opposed to the gothic stage sets of the older Batman movies.

But the anticipation of seeing what twisted scheme the Joker would spring next kept me interested throughout, and there were enough unexpected (to me, at least) plot twists to give me that pleasantly off-balance sensation.

The story is a mash up of The Long Holloween (minus every villain but Two Face), overlaid with the Joker from The Killing Joke.

Which, really, ain't that bad an idea. Heath Ledger nails the Joker as the anarchic homicidal maniac that the best Batman stories have portayed him as: Sort of A Clockwork Orange with more face paint and 'splosions --- but plenty of random ultra-violence.

If there's a #3, wonder if they're setting it up for the Catwoman story-arc? They did kill off Bat's civilian love-interested, and there was a throw-away reference to his new armor being cat-proof...

Not bad, a bit long and, in my opinion, in need of some editing. Ledger is by far the best actor but seems somewhat hampered by the script.. if only he could expound a little more on what makes the Joker tick (or not) and like all dangerous fools he has something serious things to say though the film isn't quite the medium to attempt it. Nevertheless, those quirky little mannerisms that make the Joker disturbingly mundane stand out for me.. and the grotesque image of Ledger shambling away from hospital is very memorable.

Wow, I finally caught this movie yesterday and it is mighty good. The joker definitely steal the show. I think most people, like myself, wanted to see more scenes with the joker.

I know this may make me seem shallow, but it sucks we'll never see Heath Ledger play the joker again since hes dead now. And talk about pressure, Jack Nicholson was great as the joker in the first batman from the 80s. I never thought he could top Jack as the joker, but he did IMO.

My favorite part of the movie.

"How about a magic trick? I'm gonna make this pen disappear. TA-DA" :eek:

and Christian Bale's annoying gutteral Batman voice had me wishing someone would offer him a cough drop.

Yes what the hell were they thinking. Apparently the voice was ramped up in post production with some gizmo. I was expecting him to pronounce "I am your Father" by the end.

Yes what the hell were they thinking. Apparently the voice was ramped up in post production with some gizmo. I was expecting him to pronounce "I am your Father" by the end.

I used my imagination, but I agree, I was thinking what the hell is up with his voice. I imagined something about the bat suit that used somekind of voice distorter so he wouldn't be recognized as Bruce Wayne.

Wow, I finally caught this movie yesterday and it is mighty good. The joker definitely steal the show. I think most people, like myself, wanted to see more scenes with the joker.

I know this may make me seem shallow, but it sucks we'll never see Heath Ledger play the joker again since hes dead now. And talk about pressure, Jack Nicholson was great as the joker in the first batman from the 80s. I never thought he could top Jack as the joker, but he did IMO.

Don't be suprised if Ledger is up for an Oscar at years' end. The condolences-vote worked for Peter Finch back in '76, and Ledger's performance is several levels above what Finch portrayed in Network. Interestingly, they both played nut-jobs pandering to a public breathlessly awaiting their next over-the-top exploit...

Don't be suprised if Ledger is up for an Oscar at years' end. The condolences-vote worked for Peter Finch back in '76, and Ledger's performance is several levels above what Finch portrayed in Network. Interestingly, they both played nut-jobs pandering to a public breathlessly awaiting their next over-the-top exploit...

I admit before I saw it I was skeptical about all the oscar talk, was thinking it was mostly because of his death. There's been a strong oscar push from critics, fans, and the media at the release of the movie. Theres no doubt he deserves consideration, but can't help thinking its partly due to his death as well.

Went to see this yesterday, the movie as a whole I would only rate as ok.

After hearing all the hype over Ledgers performance I was somewhat sceptical going in to see it however I must admit his performance was bloody good, easily the highlight of the movie.

Even without him kicking the bucket I would have given him a decent chance for an oscar but I think the sympathy vote will make it a no brainer now. I wonder what odds the bookies are giving?

I nodded off while watching it actually for a couple minutes there.

Admittedly, I'd also been up for about 30 hours by that point because I've been trying to meet a deadline and only went because friends were driving. The film itself had a few flaws, as do all films, but as mentioned it's best not to look too closely, and besides, The Joker. I can't remember the last time I was that amazed with a actors performance of a role.

The movie needed more Joker philosophy. You know, more Socratic cross-examination stuff. And the violence needed to be more gory, something like Saw. Quickly cutting away after someone has been shot takes away the shock. The movie could've been more thrilling; it turned out to be rather boring.