Civilization Recommendation?

Playing Civilization Revolution on the 360 has made me want to revisit that great game on the PC.

After a quick search I see all kinds of Civ games and modules are out now. Anyone have an opinion as to which is best? What are the differences between Civ III and Civ IV?

All I know is that CivRev is a stripped down version for kiddies it seems. I was hoping for gameplay like I enjoyed with Civ 15 years ago, but all the options are gone in the console version. No global map, difficult scrolling, set opponents, etc. It's just tedious.

Anyway, what does the forum have to say?

I'm playing Civ IV at the moment and after buying it but not really looking at it I'm starting to get into it.

I think I didn't really get it at first because it's actually a lot more complex than Civ 1. Instead of the 3 way build/tech/military juggling, there's a couple more factors so my easy divide and kill strategy didn't work.

I think you can get Civ 1 for free now - it's on mobile phones FGS - but Civ IV is good if you're willing to move on.

The "Beyond the Sword" expansion is also supposed to be really good.

Get Civ4 with the Beyond the Sword expansion. A good couple of mods are "Rise of Mankind 2" (it adds a lot of civ-specific units and buildings, resources, techs) and one that I think comes with the BTS expansion.

I forget the name of it, but it's more historical - civs show up at specific times on a giant real-world map and you can jump to lead a new civ when it arises. It's hard, but fun. Africa is a nightmare to raise a civilization in, so beware the Egyptians, Malinese, and Ethiopians.

Skip the "Fall From Heaven" mod that seems to be so popular. It's really pretty lame, and all the "evil" civs end up becoming neutral or good in the end, meaning it's rare to see any fighting.

Played 'em all and Civ4 + BTS is the way to go IMO. Great single player, I'm slowly increasing the difficlty levels and trying to win in different ways on different map sizes and with random civs. Always raging barbs and agressive AIs though! Huge map on Prince level is the latest challenge, and I've lost 3 times already, although I've beaten it handily on a medium map.

Most weekends I get to hook up and Civ4 TCP online for a few hours with my mates. It's simple, reliable and a complete blast.

Civ4 and RO are about the only things I've computer gamed with this year.

[Edit] Hellfish - you are thinking of the Rhyse and Fall mod that ships with BTS in your second paragraph - everyone raves about it but I'm still having so much fun with the base game I haven't tried it yet. Must do soon....

Yeah, get Civ4 + Beyond the Sword. I've been playing it pretty solid since it came out. It's one of the few games that have kept my interest over time (CM being the other one). It would be nice to get one last patch for the game though, to fix the things they broke with the last patch.