Games you're waiting on...

Nothing much on my list lately for pending PC games. How about you?

Current list --

Histwar (hopefully by Q4 this year?)

Empire Total War (Q1 '09, last I heard)

For both, it will be good to do some background reading and finally get into Napoleonic Warfare. I love digging in and going whole hog, and already have two books in mind (Chandler and Nosworthy, I think). For Empire, it will also be great to finally get a good Age of Sails battle simulation going, and also get into that whole era. Also will do some reading there :)

Not really so interested in the Shock Force Marine module coming out -- for all my excitement about Shock Force, I've kinda burned on it. I miss PBEM, and it just seems like there are too many obstacles (big file size, etc.), unless someone knows of an app. that makes it easy with yahoo mail or some other free web mail. Great game, just is missing something. I'm actually (despite my protestations to the contrary) looking forward to the WWII modules coming out (any word?) CM Campaigns also would have been nice like 2 years ago. Not so sure I would mess with it now.

Can't really think of anything else here -- Spore seems interesting, but not my thing. Medieval Total War II is a bit complex and I'm not really interested in beating it again -- sometimes I really miss the simplicity of Shogun Total War and the expansions.

Anybody else have any good recommendations?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I got tired of all the file swapping for just a minute of gameplay, and at 10mb, that's a longer upload/download time. It would be nice if the functionality were integrated somehow off of a central server or something, rather than flipping in and out of the game to download the file, send the e-mail, etc. I know the CMx1 games were like this, but it gets old after 10 years. CMSF also is not as versatile with setting up QB games.

Maybe I'm just *****ing, and not in the mood anymore -- dunno :P

Oh, I know, one more thing -- airstrikes take waaay too long, maybe that's realistic, but not always very useful or fun.

Wasn't sure what to make of that Kingdoms mod for Total War 2 -- What's the upshot/advantage of it? Is there anything cool like that Vikings add-on they had for the first one?

The Kingdoms expansion pack is great. Lots of content for a x-pack as well. No self respecting Total War player should be with out it, worth every penny. It's gotten great reviews as well.

Oh and yeah, I'm also looking forward to the new Empires: Total War game, finally gonna get huge naval battles. A very long overdue addition to the franchise

Wasn't sure what to make of that Kingdoms mod for Total War 2 -- What's the upshot/advantage of it? Is there anything cool like that Vikings add-on they had for the first one?

Increased max unit size back to 250. And four focussed (mini) campaigns. A reputedly lame Native American one, and rather well received campaigns around the Eastern Crusades (Teutones v Poland, Lithuania etc), Crusades and Britain. Maybe more stuff too. I haven't got it but that's more my money situation.

Very interested in Empire TW too. Looks like they are pulling out the stops on the naval aspect. And since there really isn't a decent fighting sail simulation these days, that's more temptation then I can resist. Hope the landbased AI is a bit better then M2TW though.

Just caught the latest trailer. It looks absolutely sick, so I could take some suckage for granted no problem.

Histwar will be on my list to make up for the Lite nature of ETW. The rumour about a new X-COM game will be closely followed. Otherwise there ain't much on my radar.

Ooh, X-com!!! I wish they would even just make the original available again. I was thinking about that the other night -- all it really needs is some streamlining around some of the options (like the soldier equipping interface, and production interface), a graphics tweak, and it would be ready. Always wondered why this fell by the wayside. I tried playing Jagged Edge 2, but couldn't get any momentum. I miss X-com.

I'm reading "Dogs of War" right now (loved the movie too), and it occurred to me that there haven't been a lot of mercenary games (excluding the ones for the console) that have concentrated on strategy, tactics, budgeting, etc. X-Com in a way filled this niche, as you apparently were somewhat of a free enterprise company (almost like a PMF) that UFO defense had been outsourced to. Jagged Edge 2 I presume was a lot more in that vein, but like I said, something just never rubbed me the right way with that (and I bought it twice!)

A game that lets you pull off "Dogs of War" or Sierra Leone/Executive Outcomes types ops, combined with a CMx1 or CMx2 fighting interface would be awesome.

^ Agreed re: JA2. I was looking for a realistic military squad-level game and found a pretty ridiculous tactical game. It had it's moments, but I really hated the whole idea where you start with pistols and progress from there. I'd much rather start running and work from there against an enemy who seemed more organized than a random bunch of soldiers with ridiculous mixes of weaponry. There's a JA3 coming out in 2010, theoretically. I'd like any future version to include vehicles, logistics (money, guns, ammo, etc) and a halfway realistic enemy.

X-Com1 was fantastic - fantastic! - and I would love for someone to replicate it with modern graphics. All the clones I've played either attempted to add or take away the things that made the original great, and in the process failed entirely.

I'm looking forward to the Les Grognards demo (I'm not a Napoleanics fan, but there are a lot of interesting concepts involved in the game that might bring me in). Likewise for Empires at War - I think it has a lot of potential, based on what we know of it so far.

Otherwise the only games out there that I've heard of that I'm interested in are Armed Assault 2 (though I fully expect to be disappointed in this, as I really doubt it'll be what it could be... like Arma1 was a disappoinment). Operation Flashpoint 2 might be interesting. Far Cry 2 might be good if it's the modern Oblivion based in West Africa like I think it is.

In the end, however, I'm still waiting for someone to build me an integrated battlefield sim like Microprose once promised. Or a strategy game that doesn't look like it belongs in a long, thin box with carboard counters.

Remember Road to Moscow? That would have been brilliant. :(

Vainglory of Nations

Spore

Guitar Hero: World Tour

That's pretty much my list. I'm hoping that VGN can scratch that Victorian age itch that Vicky just never did for me.

Spore should be fun, I've had some fun with the creature creator, ad want to hurry up and see some of my critters in game and see how they fare.

Made a deal with my friend who got Rock Band, which is good fun. She got that and I'd hold off for GH:WT, which looks like it could regain a lot of playtime from me because their last few efforts (Even Aerosmith, which I did enjoy) don't really even come close to matching Rock Band for fun. I doubt the music maker part ever comes to much, but who knows, maybe they're smarter than they've looked the past year or so.

Spore is the only game I'm waiting on, but to be honest I am expecting it to be a bit of a let down so it won't be a pre-order.

I've only just got a PC that can handle anything resembling a modern game, so it's nice to be able to anticipate a new release!

However there are plenty of great games in the bargain bin that I have still got to work through. I've bought Oblivion I'll probably revisit Far Cry.

Any other game recommendations from the last 3 or 4 years? Any style.

Prototype is definitely on my list.

However, I still have an ardent wish to see a Hybrid Civilization game that utilizes the Panzer General combat system.

Ideally, you would be allowed to setup army groups by stacking individual unit battalions. The army group could be moved about at will and when an attack is initiated by one army group against an opposing unit, a "zoomed in" map based upon the two terrain hexes both units are in is generated. The battle will now commence using the Panzer General ruleset (responding artillery, overrun, unit weakness/strengths etc).

One can only dream I suppose.

Ooh, X-com!!! I wish they would even just make the original available again. I was thinking about that the other night -- all it really needs is some streamlining around some of the options (like the soldier equipping interface, and production interface), a graphics tweak, and it would be ready. Always wondered why this fell by the wayside. I tried playing Jagged Edge 2, but couldn't get any momentum. I miss X-com.

Yay, X-COM. Every year I always find myself playing it again...

Prototype is definitely on my list.

However, I still have an ardent wish to see a Hybrid Civilization game that utilizes the Panzer General combat system.

Ideally, you would be allowed to setup army groups by stacking individual unit battalions. The army group could be moved about at will and when an attack is initiated by one army group against an opposing unit, a "zoomed in" map based upon the two terrain hexes both units are in is generated. The battle will now commence using the Panzer General ruleset (responding artillery, overrun, unit weakness/strengths etc).

One can only dream I suppose.

Possibly not exactly what you are after as far as combat mechanics, but the new Empires of Steel game announced by BFC seems to be somewhere along the lines of what you want. One to keep an eye on anyway.

Actually I'll add that to my "games you are waiting for" list. I always liked Hearts of Iron and Strategic Command, but found one too complex and one too simple (guess which :)) Something right in the middle sounds great.

Ground Branch. Not since Ghost Recon have anyone even attempted a tactical FPS like this one.

I would like to say Armed Assault 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2 as well. But I think ArmA2 will be just as unplayably clunky as the predecessors and OFP2 will be smooth but kill off realism.

X-COM. Aaah. TBH I don't think they'll ever make it. Short of a carbon-copy of the original, it's the easiest game in the world to screw up. At least all other attempts have done so.