Ironclad proof we're being screwed by the oil companies

Was tracking down a report that a new energy inventor was kidnapped by the Yakuza and disappeared, right out of business meeting in front of four witnesses, with his invention, to Japan, when I found this on a reporter's summary of the suppression of high energy efficiency devices and their inventors. The link merely summarizes an in-depth 125 page report he did, and it's available via the site I give.

From official Shell Oil Company tests!

"Shell Oil Company: Achieves 376.59 MPG with a Modified 1959 Opel in 1973

Shell Oil Company wrote "Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine" (ISBN 0-470-99132-1); it was published by John Wiley & Sons, New York, in 1977. On page 42 Shell Oil quotes the President of General Motors who in 1929 predicted 80 MPG by 1939. Between pages 221 (see link to www.byronwine.com) Shell writes of their achievements: 49.73 MPG around 1939; 149.95 MPG with a 1947 Studebaker in 1949; 244.35 MPG with a 1959 Fiat 600 in 1968; 376.59 MPG with a modified 1959 Opel in 1973 (photos of these three cars are shown on page 223).

The Library of Congress, in September 1990, did not have a copy of this book. It was missing from their files, of course. [They had it - since it is legally required to have at least one copy of all such publications in the U.S. However, it seems to have been stolen or hidden.] Byron Wine bought a copy from Maryland Book Exchange around 1980 after a professor informed him that it was used as an engineering text at the University of West Virginia.

The modified 376.59 MPG 1959 Opel is now owned by an Alabama antique car restoration company (see http://www.race-cardrivers.com/shop.htm)."

CAFE (Current Average Fuel Economy) is what these days Stateside? We're paying how much a gallon?

This is but one of myriad blood boilers in the reporter's searing precis.

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/09/364508.shtml

Regards,

John Kettler

Other Means,

Unless you've got major oil stock holdings, I would think this would really command your attention. Note, too, that I've invoked no UFOs, no psi and have made my case using the oil company's own damning documentation. I'll restate: The technology has existed, for over three decades, to produce gasoline powered cars capable of exceeding 300 m.p.g. Yet we've gone into two wars for oil, while being systematically stuck with cars getting, on average, not even 1/12 of that figure. You can research the costs and human tolls for yourself.

Regards,

John Kettler

Other Means,

Unless you've got major oil stock holdings, I would think this would really command your attention. Note, too, that I've invoked no UFOs, no psi and have made my case using the oil company's own damning documentation.

He does have a point Senor Means. Not a single alien but the Yakuza kidnapping was a nice touch.

Yet we've gone into two wars for oil, ...

War for oil? If either Gulf War had been 'for oil' we would be bathing in that goo now. That Saddam guy was a bad dude, now he is gone. Unfortunately for all involved it seems that bad guy was the only thing holding Iraq together. My only hope that the Iraqis put aside their differences and take control of their country before they tear themselves apart.

Hey he Pogue Carburettor certainly exists - http://www.rexresearch.com/pogue/1pogue.htm (hmm.....how do we hide the URL & put in a keyword on this system??)

But as the article says - you can get any mileage you want by de-rating engines so it takes 30 minutes to get to 30 mph!!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp - Snopes also has something to say about it, although it's a little light on factual data.

Amazing how all those car guys, on all the various forums, and with all manner of make and model cars can't seem to come up with anything like that. They get more power, better mileage (but not by huge amounts) and better drivability, but no one gets 100 MPG. Must be every one of us is brainwashed.

Hi John K. That is indeed a fairly respectable post and topic. With the old GF gone, you can start with a clean record.

I heard petrol engines ARE much more effiecient today, but along with that, they are now expected to drive a lot more weight in a car that is now packed with all sorts of gizmos. So MPG is similar to what it was in 1950.

About your book that is supposedly missing, I would be surprised if it was really missing, and I would be surprised if it wasn't collecting dust in a number of university engineering libraries around the world. The example cited was a artificial flat airfield course of 10 miles, with a modified car. Not really revolutionary, and little real world application. WBS? already posted here about how driving technique can reduce your fuel consumption by 25%.

I work in the oil industry, and although you could argue that the spot price of crude is subject to speculation and that car-makers are bound to their traditional assembly lines, you can't really argue a massive conspiracy to prevent Americans driving their Hummers at 200-300mpg.

I don't think it's so much the oil companies screwing us over as it is the consumers (us) and automobile industry.

I read last week that GM is contemplating selling a car here in the US that it produces in Asia and Mexico. This car gets 42 mph.

whiskey tango foxtrot over?

contemplating? Contemplating??

They should have contemplated that a long time ago.

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzbeat045751591jul04,0,1343913.story

Add to that our friggin insatiable need to drive F350s and Hummers and Navigators, and it becomes clear as to who is doing the screwing.

What ever happened to the Geo Metro? It got something like 50mpg. It was a Suzuki, but GM imported and sold it under the Geo brand.

I don't know that we had an insatiable desire to drive the big trucks, it's was just that we could. And now it seems we can't.

When I was stationed in Germany, I was buying gas at $1.40 or so per gallon on post. At the time that was higher than the prices in the US, but not by much. I was spending about $100 per month on gas. Looking at the prices the Germans paid back then, I would have been spending $400 a month on gas which would have forced me to garage the truck and drive something cheaper. That's where we are now. Monthly fuel costs exceed a lot of monthly payments. It's cheaper to buy the car than drive it.

Suddenly I'm seeing scooters on post. Majors riding to and from staff college on little scooters. That was unimaginable just a few years ago. And this is at a time when the Army is really cracking down on motorcycle operators with all kinds of safety restrictions because so many young soldiers get killed on their bikes. Economic realities are starting to overcome our pretensions about vehicles and socio-economic status.

I liked the Yakuza. Nice touch.

You can get a copy of the book on Amazon.co.uk, at a paltry UKP 570 + P&P, or go to the École des Mines library in Paris and read it there:

http://rocks.ensmp.fr/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?bib=101316

Of course, now that I have divulged this information, the Reptoidyakuza will burn the 2nd hand book store in the UK, and steal the book from the library.

Or the other way round.

All the best

Andreas

mike_the_wino,

Bush Senior publicly admitted regarding the first Gulf War: "It's about the oil." As for OIF, take a look at the deals we forced on the new Iraqi government. We get 90% of Iraq's oil production. Let's say it's not going over well with the locals!

Affentitten,

Great to be back!

rleete,

If you take the time (recommend you print the article out and read it on the throne as time affords) to wade through the article I linked, you'll see that there have been many many efforts to invent and produce a variety of very high mpg schemes, but there has also been a highly consistent pattern, spanning decades, of intimidation, interference, threats and worse applied to inventors, their families and investors. The reporter's by category breakdown makes chilling reading. From my own interviews with a cutting edge computer firm, I can vouch for the corrupt Patent Office issues described. That firm found its commercial rivals, via their GOCO status on Energy Star compliance, had a pipeline right into yet to be patented trade secrets. This firm ultimately decided to put the basic art into public domain, skipping the patent process altogether.

rleete,

Suggest you read the article; will give you quite an education on the all but unbelievable range of technical approaches tried, most of which got squashed, despite working well.

hoolaman,

That book is by no means the only one made scarce. Such techniques amount to information control via access denial. In his previously mentioned new book on Hitler's still-secret and suppressed weapons, Stephens shows, in unmistakable fashion, that NARA lies like a rug, virtually as official policy. He's got the smoking gun proof in NARA's U-234 cargo manifest (altered) , as opposed to the Navy's unaltered copy in Suitland, Maryland. The difference? 18 cases of 56 kgs each of uranium oxide, and Stephens makes a strong case it was enriched! Meanwhile, Hoagland and Bara have a NYT bestseller, DARK MISSION, showing NASA's systematically ratholed every significant discovery since its founding, altered photos, hypnotized the astronauts, even destroyed apparent Martian fossils, all while conducting dozens of strange occult rituals (odds against this being true ~ trillion to one via independent statistical assessment). Hoagland IDed someone he talked to about what was really going on in NASA as an intelligence agent, who told him: "The lie's different at every level." Likewise, Stinnett, in his DAY OF DECEIT, reports incident after incident of declassified Navy records, which should be there, being a folder containing merely an illegible scribble on the checkout slip and nothing else. If you research hot topics, this is very common.

I appreciate your clarification of the test conditions for the ultra mpg tests and note my concern over the lack of a standard test vehicle. Consider, for example, the (off the top of my head) curb weight difference of 1000s of pounds between the presumed tank of a '49 Studebaker and the lightweight Opel. Nor is it just weight, but drag, rolling resistance because of different tire types and widths, relative transmission efficiency, etc. The larger issue, though, is that there is a very good case to be made that Big Oil and Detroit have done a brilliant, though evidence would suggest oft illegal, job of keeping high efficiency propulsion schemes not just off the market, but out of public awareness as being possible. Bottom line? We don't need to be in the terrible mess we're in! The solutions have existed for decades, to include ones not relying on oil as a fuel. The situation's so imbalanced and grotesquely not working that the Rockefeller heirs have been demanding a change away from an oil centered economy. I saw it repeatedly a few weeks ago on the CNN crawl.

Blackhorse,

The article I linked to talks about how strings were pulled to keep a 60 mpg Honda? Out of the U.S. Suggest you take a look at who owns what in Big Oil and Detroit. Bet you'll find some overlap! The math's ineluctable: High mpg vehicles consume less gas and typically don't have the bells ands whistles of "fully loaded" models. In turn, they can't be sold for as much as the SUVs and honking pickup trucks, which are cash cows to Detroit. Big Oil hates efficient vehicles because they hurt sales and therefore has a huge vested interest in keeping them out for as long as possible. See also the clever games played with refinery ops and "maintenance" scheduling. Always works out that supplies are short, therefore prices are high, at the peak driving periods of the year.

Regards,

John Kettler

This thread reminds me of the tale of the Ever Lasting Lightbulb pulled from the market and suppressed by the men in black ...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp

(Yes, I know about the firestation bulb in Calif. That one has burnt for a long time, but it's basically useless as a light source.)

must be a great article, since I posted it on page 1....:P

RMC,

I don't know what happened to it, but a friend of mine was telling me there's an eBay power seller who does nothing but track down, refurbish and sell Geo Metros online. Can't keep 'em in stock, and some models are rated at 50 mpg. Am so glad I've got my little Ford (really a Kia, really a Mazda 323) Festiva, seeing as how I get just under 40 real mpg in combined long haul and city driving, but about 25 mpg in town driving only on short runs. Perfectly adequate for my needs, paid for and cheap to insure. Even so, refilling it gives me pump shock. Fortunately, I don't commute the way most have to, doing my work online and via phone, with only rare runs out of the area.

Regards,

John Kettler

Stalin's Organist,

Excellent! Got a spare passenger side mirror for a 91? Have looked in a bunch of places, as well as trying some that looked like they might fit. Hoping to match the OEM on my side. Am really hoping Denny Klein gets his Aquygen/HHO (not Brown's gas) generator out as a car kit. Would love to get 60 mpg, assuming I didn't do a big naughty and go pure HHO power! He's got a Rabbit or Golf running on hybrid HHO and gas. Suspect he wouldn't last long in pure HHO mode. Vids on YouTube.

Regards,

John Kettler

Here's a great little overview of why we're so car dependent in the first place. Take a look at the alliance that not only gutted urban mass transit here in the States, but got off with a wrist slap. Can't speak for other places, but it wrought havoc here, where we had the famous Red Line you can see in the old detective movies and even in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

http://21stcenturycicero.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/the-self-righteous-rich-rockefeller-family-fables/

Regards,

John Kettler

Although Shell is a British company, you seem to be focused on the US oil companies. They don't control the world you know. They don't even control a majority of the world's oil reserves.

If the technology exists, why hasn't ANYONE in the entire world put your wonder engines to use? CNOOC in China and Gazprom in Russia surely aren't part of your Western Shell/Chevron/Exxon conspiracy, are they?

What about the Indians, or the Brazilians? If you can come up with this information on the internet, wouldn't it stand to reason that every government and corporation on the planet can do the same? Yet, no company or government has seen fit to pursue this wonderful MPG technology? Really? Does that seem logical to you?

Fails the reason test in my judgement.

P.S. This new forum is teh suck.