The forum complaints thread.

Like you say, I haven't made any changes. I am still suspecting that it has something to do with "cookies". I assume that vB is saving a cookie with your last login/view time on your HD when you log in. If your Internet Browser security settings prevent that, then maybe the arrow is gone the next time a scheduled task runs on the server to re-index posts. This may be happening every 20 mins, I'd need to check.

BTW, now that you mentioned "arrow" I think I finally understand what you guys mean. You mean the arrow on top of the thread that allows you to jump to the first unread post?

No, it's the grey arrow pointing down in a small square icon in threads views (either forum views or "new posts" view).

It's not simply cookies. I logged into the new BFC forum from several browsers now and they all show the same behavior.

I do not see the "the follow threads don't have new posts but you didn't see them yet" or whatever it's called, but you see it. The difference is most likely that the extension that is doing that is active for administrators but not for mortals.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. I am logged in as regular user right now, and it's showing up.

Have you tried the QuickLink dropdown menu -> Today's Posts?

I don't know which grey arrow you're referring to. There is a grey arrow pointing SIDEWISE, but it's there for all forums, all the time, and simply jumps to the last post. Maybe take a screenshot of what you mean?

I don't know which grey arrow you're referring to.

Okay, Moon, try this. Go to the forum index of a forum, General Discussion Forum, for instance. There is a list of threads. The threads that have new posts since your last visit have the downward pointing gray arrow that Red Wolf refers to. It is on the left, before the actual header of the thread begins. And that's what disappears after 20 minutes for him and used to for me. Why they stopped disappearing for me, none of the three of us seem to know. At any rate, I sure don't.

Michael

Redwolf, yes - I see it under New Posts, too.

Thanks for the explanation Michael. I now know what you mean. These little arrows NEVER change by themselves until you actually click on a thread link to visit that thread - or - I think, until you click "Mark all forums read".

It certainly doesn't auto-update itself every 20 minutes. See attached screenshot. Notice that the time between the first unread post and the last one is way more than 20 minutes.

I searched again for a function on our end to influence some kind of re-set here, like a scheduled task or something, but there is nothing. I still suspect some kind of user setting.

Whatever it might be, I still don't understand why you simply leave the window open and use right-click to open threads in a new window or tab.

post-1-141867620672_thumb.jpg

It certainly doesn't auto-update itself every 20 minutes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "auto-update". All I know is that for the first couple of weeks I logged onto the new forum, those arrows were disappearing after 20 minutes.

See attached screenshot. Notice that the time between the first unread post and the last one is way more than 20 minutes.

That's not the point.

I searched again for a function on our end to influence some kind of re-set here, like a scheduled task or something, but there is nothing.

Okay. I'm not calling you a liar or anything like that. I'm just reporting what I saw.

I still suspect some kind of user setting.

NOTHING was altered by me during the critical period when it changed. That's why I thought you had done something. Maybe some super hacker? Is it time to break out the tinfoil helmets?

Whatever it might be, I still don't understand why you simply leave the window open and use right-click to open threads in a new window or tab.

That I don't follow at all and it's too late and I am too sleepy to try to work it out. Nighty-night.

:)

Michael

Okay. I'm not calling you a liar or anything like that. I'm just reporting what I saw.

I didn't think you were. I'm just trying to help out but it seems like we're not able to get on the same page. Having said that - this is enough time spent on a minor issue that apparently only one user has, so I'm callig it a nighty-night, too :)

Nope. Think of it as the "ads" you're forced to see because they're paying for the rest of the programme :)

Martin

PS. In the New Posts or Today's Post views, you can remove the announcement by opening them. Once opened, they disappear from the list of "new posts".

• 4 weeks later...

Moon,

The search engine's still a pain, as I learned when trying to chase down one of the pieces of the lengthy ROW V thread. If you type "ROW V, Part X," it doesn't like that. Too short. If you type the long form "****ROW V (Part X)****" it doesn't like that, either. Too long. To find part 5, because the embedded hyperlink in part 4 didn't work, I had to resort to "ROW V, walpurgis nacht" to get a list with the link I needed. It's better than it was, but I still consider the new search engine the Great Leap Backwards.

Any way to reimplement the old one?

On an entirely different note, I have discovered that the Forum logic doesn't distinguish when members were and weren't in good graces. If you've been banned ALL your posts show up this way, which I think conveys a decidedly incorrect impression as to the truth.

Regards,

John Kettler