The forum complaints thread.

Better give OM what he wants. He'll keep nagging until you give in.

He's quite unlike me, I will not take every opportunity to point out that the current emoticons and the swearing filter suck. No sir, I would not do that. Despite them clearly sucking more then a Thai hooker.

Why not have a community wide emoticon contest? Best entry for smiley, big grin, roll eyes, mad etc etc wins and gets to replace it's current version.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so here's my gripe. When I log onto a forum, there are all these nice arrows on the left side of the thread header that show me which threads have had posts added to them since my last visit. Nice.:)

But there's a problem with them.:( They disappear all on their own after I've been on that forum for more than some arbitrary time, like 20 minutes maybe. Even if I have only opened one or two of the threads in question. They're all gone. Now some of the threads have accumulated a lot of posts since my last visit. And maybe I reply to a couple of them. I run through that arbitrary time limit pretty quick.

Of course, it is not beyond my abilities to dope out which threads have new posts in them by looking at the time stamp of the latest post, which is shown on the index. And then I can go searching through the thread until I have found the earliest new post. But really, why should I have to do all that? Why is that arbitrary time limit there in the first place? What possible function could it serve other than to annoy members of the "community" and make them waste their precious time?

Just thought I should mention it.

A Concerned Citizen

Okay, so here's my gripe. When I log onto a forum, there are all these nice arrows on the left side of the thread header that show me which threads have had posts added to them since my last visit. Nice.:)

But there's a problem with them.:( They disappear all on their own after I've been on that forum for more than some arbitrary time, like 20 minutes maybe. Even if I have only opened one or two of the threads in question. They're all gone. Now some of the threads have accumulated a lot of posts since my last visit. And maybe I reply to a couple of them. I run through that arbitrary time limit pretty quick.

Of course, it is not beyond my abilities to dope out which threads have new posts in them by looking at the time stamp of the latest post, which is shown on the index. And then I can go searching through the thread until I have found the earliest new post. But really, why should I have to do all that? Why is that arbitrary time limit there in the first place? What possible function could it serve other than to annoy members of the "community" and make them waste their precious time?

Just thought I should mention it.

A Concerned Citizen

There is a vBulletin extension (or option if the extension is standard now) to make the `new posts` search also show things from before the last visit, for those of us who can't read the whole forum every time we visit to mess with Kettler (duh).

ACG has it installed, might want to check it out there.

Also, the 20 minutes default is stupid, 60 or even 120 minutes is clearly better, and it's a simple option (Moon, you copy, is that something you might consider?).

Also, the 20 minutes default is stupid, 60 or even 120 minutes is clearly better, and it's a simple option (Moon, you copy, is that something you might consider?).

Perhaps, but I am not aware of any such option.

There is a vBulletin extension (or option if the extension is standard now) to make the `new posts` search also show things from before the last visit, for those of us who can't read the whole forum every time we visit to mess with Kettler (duh).

I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but when I click on "New posts" in the top menu, I get to see both new threads as well as threads which "have not changed since the last time you logged in". This is on by default.

What I do is:

- go to www.battlefront.com/community

- click on New Posts

- I think RIGHT-CLICK to open the posts I want to check out in a new window or tab. This leaves the original list intact, no matter how long you need to read through stuff.

Perhaps, but I am not aware of any such option.

Hmmm, I don't have a vBulletion extension on my own, but on other forums it wasn't a problem to change this timeout. I know 20 mins is the default, which is being fiddled with by many.

I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but when I click on "New posts" in the top menu, I get to see both new threads as well as threads which "have not changed since the last time you logged in". This is on by default.

What I do is:

- go to www.battlefront.com/community

- click on New Posts

- I think RIGHT-CLICK to open the posts I want to check out in a new window or tab. This leaves the original list intact, no matter how long you need to read through stuff.

That's what I do, too.

I just waited 20 minutes, the BFC forum just cuts off older posts.

I don't know what it is named, but e.g. on armchairgeneral there's an extension running that doesn't cut off the "new posts", it inserts a marker where you last vist was and then lists the threads that were new at the time.

I can post a screenshot later if you want.

Here is what the extension to have threads from before the last visit in "new posts" looks like on gamesquad. Note how the majority of pages is in the latter section.

kld2.png

It's really handy. Right now on BFC the combination of the short timeout with the lack of this extension means it's very hard to follow what's going on. Basically, if you don't read the whole forum in 20 minutes you lose context.

P.S. all this is nothing compared to the smiley scandal mad.gifmad.gif

Redwolf, this is precisely how things look on our end. Also, to be honest, I have no clue what you mean with the 20 minute limit. I don't have a problem with reading the forum even if it takes longer than that, and none of the read/non-read info is erased. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Perhaps it's a cookie problem on your end?

post-1-141867620671_thumb.jpg

Redwolf, this is precisely how things look on our end. Also, to be honest, I have no clue what you mean with the 20 minute limit. I don't have a problem with reading the forum even if it takes longer than that, and none of the read/non-read info is erased. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Perhaps it's a cookie problem on your end?

Where do you see that view Moon?

This morning, when I posted, I actually set a timer watch to notify me in 20 minutes, after I started reading.

After 20 minutes, precisely, I used the "new threads" search and sure enough it had forgotten everything from before those 20 minutes. The timeout is definitely 20 minutes.

I've never seen any variant of "the following threads have not been updated since your last visit but contain unread posts" on the BFC forum. I see them on the other forums, so I don't think it's a browser problem.

The most likely explanation at this point is that this extension is installed (or standard now) and that it is enabled only for administrators and/or moderators.

Click the "Multi-Quote" buttons of the posts you want to quote, then click on the small "quote" button next to it on one of the posts you want to quote. This will bring you to the Advanced view. I don't think you can multi-quote in the Quick Reply window.

This morning, when I posted, I actually set a timer watch to notify me in 20 minutes, after I started reading.

After 20 minutes, precisely, I used the "new threads" search and sure enough it had forgotten everything from before those 20 minutes. The timeout is definitely 20 minutes.

I've never seen any variant of "the following threads have not been updated since your last visit but contain unread posts" on the BFC forum. I see them on the other forums, so I don't think it's a browser problem.

The most likely explanation at this point is that this extension is installed (or standard now) and that it is enabled only for administrators and/or moderators.

What is the "new threads" search?

There are two links in the top menu bar: "New Posts" and under "Quick Links" there is "Today's Posts". (If you're not logged in, the "New Posts" menu also shows Today's Posts). This is where you get to see all posts, even those that have not changed.

As I said, I am not aware of any setting which would do anything in your browser after 20 minutes. In fact, it's impossible. If you open a window and do not close it, there is no way that it will change itself.

I meant "new posts".

The timeout that you have for what the forum considers "new" (both for the purpose of markers and what is being returned in the "new posts" search) is definitely 20 minutes, I stopwatched that yesterday. I don't have a vBulletin installation, so I don't know where this is set. But I do know that other vBulletin installations successfully change that to 1 hour, 20 minutes is just too short.

I don't doubt that, but like I said - if you open the "New Posts" window *and keep it open*, and use right-click->Open in new Tab or Window to look up posts, then the information in the already opened "New Posts" window will never change, no matter what the setting (wherever it might be) is set to.

Okay, here's a strange thing. Within hours of posting my complaint (on Tuesday) that got the current discussion going, the arrow that takes me to the first new post in a thread stopped disappearing. I assumed at first that Moon fixed it, but he swears he doesn't know what we are talking about and Redwolf still finds that arrow disappearing after 20 minutes. Weird.

:confused::eek:

Michael

Like you say, I haven't made any changes. I am still suspecting that it has something to do with "cookies". I assume that vB is saving a cookie with your last login/view time on your HD when you log in. If your Internet Browser security settings prevent that, then maybe the arrow is gone the next time a scheduled task runs on the server to re-index posts. This may be happening every 20 mins, I'd need to check.

BTW, now that you mentioned "arrow" I think I finally understand what you guys mean. You mean the arrow on top of the thread that allows you to jump to the first unread post?