Windows Protection Error -Win ME

There are no known problems running Windows ME, Directx 8.0 RC1, Detonator 3.64 [3.54? don't remember...the one just released] and CM. I run it every day and have not had a single problem with this combination.

Rune

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Fletchman - do you have any other programs running in the background while you play CM ? Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and check out the list of running programs. You'll want "Explorer" and "Systray", but everything else is debatable (other than CM).

CM should work properly with WindowsME, but there are always possibilities of problems. I'm not sure if there are any problems between WindowsME, DirectX 8 Beta, the latest Detonator drivers and CM. I know Madmatt runs the DirectX 8 Beta and the latest Detonators, but I believe he's on Win98 SE. I haven't checked to see if there have been any service pack releases for ME yet, but you may want to check with the "Windows Update" and see what is available (probably mostly IE fixes or something of that nature).

Are you overclocking your video card at all ? If you are then it is possible that you're on the edge of the performance when it comes to CM and you may want to clock it down (though I doubt that this is the case).

Although this probably won't fix your problem there is a slightly newer Detonator driver available (Win9x v.6.35):

Reactorcritical (though I don't think the driver page is loading correctly, the Detonator should be available from a link on the front page in green text):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 10-24-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried the sound driver route, as the Asound sound card now has a driver that specifically lists ME support. Also will grab the new detonator video drivers as well. A geek friend who supposedly knows all informed me that ME is pretty picky on drivers. Oddly enough other programs, especially 3d ones tend to exhibit more stability under ME for me.

The TNT2ultra is at the default clock speed. I'll run an experiement with "systray lite;" that is killing any extra programs. The only thing that normally runs is some system backup and diagnostic that my ISP @home decided should be on my system when I installed their custom browser. (Funny I was never consulted about that.)

So far the systray lite option has gone through 1.5 scenario's without a crash, but that isn't long enough to make sure that the problem has been solved.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.. I just upgraded this week and am having both the "shutdown" problem and in the game my lables are flickering on and off. My new computer is AMD Thunderbird 800 processor with a Voodoo 5 5000 video card, no over clocking and running the DX 7.1 drivers that came with Windows ME. The Voodoo drivers are version 4.12.01.0636 with 3DFX Tools version 2.6.0.106.

Now I love to play games but hate being forced to play the biggest "GAME" of all, getting our computer running right smile.gif

...anyway, off to play with video setting and visit the Windows Trouble Shooter Shutdown site referenced above. I just thought you should know you all are not the only ones with the same problems smile.gif

------------------

Olmoss

• 1 month later...