Quick Battle broken for me suddenly

I just did a quick battle with Syrian (Red) attacking US (Blue) defending.

Selected Small Battle, Town Setting. Chose Real-time play as Blue.

It comes up OK. I have my Blue forces and set them up. But when I start the battle, it switches control to RED instead. Sort of. It's actually me and the AI controlling red at the same time, fighting for control.

This is the strangest thing I have seen and I can verify it was not happening (or at least had never happended) prior to 1.08 patch.

I'm also getting one of those CMSF.EXE has performed an illegal operation errors when I exit the game.

Is anyone seeing this. It's happened twice with the same setup options for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing here. Had not tried any QB for a long time til about 3 days ago. I was blue ..as soon as I hit the go button the camera jump over to the red side ..I could see all the reds and I could issue orders at the same time the AI was controlling the red forces. This was RT Elite. I quit out of the QB. Tried 2 QB's tonight. First one did the same thing ..second one played ok. Had not seen this before ..but I haven't played any QB's for a couple of months.

Gunz

So it is the patch.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time reinstalling. It didn't sound like the kind of random crash issue that you would associate with a damaged file and as it turns out it isn't.

I played a normal scenario all the way through without any problems.

Could it be a map problem? Gunz says one of the QB's played just fine. So it's not consistent within Quick Battle mode.

I just had another thought. I have the quick battle maps installed from the QB map pack developed by Meach and Mishga (is that who it was?)

Perhaps some of these have compatibility issues with the latest patch? They were developed in an earlier patching stage of the game.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

I just had another thought. I have the quick battle maps installed from the QB map pack developed by Meach and Mishga (is that who it was?)

Perhaps some of these have compatibility issues with the latest patch? They were developed in an earlier patching stage of the game.

Just a thought.

You might be right. All my QB maps are from the QBG map pack. I have not seen this problem with any of the scenario's.

I guess it could of been happening before 1.08 ...I don't think I played any QB's with 1.07 to be honest.

Gunz

Thanks thewood, it's what this thread really needed: point scoring for the cool kids in class.

I think the rest of you may be on the right track with the QBG angle, as I can't seem to make it happen so far. I do have a few QBG maps, but not a lot, so maybe I haven't seen them yet for that reason. Any QB parameters that seem to produce this bug more often? Also, what FOW setting are you using?

Thanks.

[ April 21, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Elmar Bijlsma ]

Originally posted by thewood:

What surprises me is how long it took for anyone to report this. Shows how often QBs are played now.

I gave up on the QB's sometime ago ...too helter skelter for my liking ..kind of like a train wreck ..but that is just me ..I'm sure there are others who are just fine with it.

Gunz

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Thanks thewood, it's what this thread really needed: point scoring for the cool kids in class.

I think the rest of you may be on the right track with the QBG angle, as I can't seem to make it happen so far. I do have a few QBG maps, but not a lot, so maybe I haven't seen them yet for that reason. Any QB parameters that seem to produce this bug more often? Also, what FOW setting are you using?

Thanks.

You're welcome

Originally posted by GunzAbeam:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

What surprises me is how long it took for anyone to report this. Shows how often QBs are played now.

I gave up on the QB's sometime ago ...too helter skelter for my liking ..kind of like a train wreck ..but that is just me ..I'm sure there are others who are just fine with it.

Gunz </font>

JohnO

I noticed you said battle sizes small to large ...no problems. I was using tiny battle size. So I went back and tried small, medium, large and huge ...no problems. Tried tiny again and again the above problem happens every time.

I tried this with the QBG's map pack and the original QB maps that came with the game. Same problem.

So it looks to be a problem with the Tiny Battle size option.

Gunz

With more testing it seems that if you get crazy with the force mix combined with a tiny battle size ..there is something the game doesn't like.

I would say it's not worth chasing after. No biggie ..case closed.

Gunz

JohnO and Mark ...thanks for your interest.

Originally posted by GunzAbeam:

With more testing it seems that if you get crazy with the force mix combined with a tiny battle size ..there is something the game doesn't like.

I would say it's not worth chasing after. No biggie ..case closed.

Gunz

JohnO and Mark ...thanks for your interest.

Crazy being reducing Attacker Tiny force mix?

I've encountered this bug so much since the 1.08 patch, I gave up on Quick Battles. Settings generally were "Random" for map size and map type (city, village, etc.), and Mixed Forces / Armor.

I'd set up as blue, turn based, and when I clicked to execute orders, all blue forces disappeared and all red forces came into view. And it would change from turn-based to real-time play. Very very bizarre.

Another odd symptom is that if you try to save the game, even prior to executing first orders, you get a series of gibberish characters in the file name form box. The saved file name cannot be changed, and the gibberish file name cannot be saved.

Ok, I'm only going to go through this one time.

Step number 1: Unlicensed CMSF

Step number 2: Uninstalled CMSF

Step number 3: Checked my hard drive to make sure all files and folders for CMSF were gone ...all is gone.

Step number 4: Cleaned my hard drive of crap ..temp. internet files etc.

Step number 5: Defragged my hard drive.

Step number 6: Rebooted my computer.

Step number 7: Re-Downloaded "all inclusive 1.08 patch" ...just incase the one I already have was bad. And yes I have the correct patch for the pre-ordered BattleFront copy of CMSF that I purchased from Battle Front.

Step number 8: Re-installed CMSF 1.01 from the disk that I purchased from BattleFront.

Step number 9: Booted up the game and Re-Lincensed the game ..no problems.

Step number 10: Played some scenarios and Quick Battles ...NO PROBLEMS ...repeat ..no problems.

Step number 11: Exit out of game.

Step number 12: Installed new copy of Patch "1.08 all inclusive".

Step number 13: Booted up CMSF ..verified it says 1.08 at bottom of game. Ok.

Step number 14: Played some scenarios ...played Great ..Flawless ...just like before I started all this.

Step number 15: Clicked on Quick Battles and made some selections at the QB menu screen ........HOSED ....COMPLETELY and UTTERLY HOSED ...everything you see posted above and then some ...Sometimes crash to desktop ...sometimes the M$ "this program has experienced a problem and must be shut down" message ....sometimes hangs at 62% loading of QB ...sometimes the QB loads BUT after I do my set up as a Blue player ...I hit the GO button and BAM .....I'm now a RED player with the AI controlling the REDS ..I can issue orders to the reds but the AI takes over after my orders are complete ...When this happens sometimes when I click on a RED unit ..the whole map starts flashing yellow from dim to bright. AND ..SOMETIMES ...maybe 2 out of 6 times that I click on the Quick Battle button ...it loads up and plays the way it should ..flawlessly.

One more time .....SCENARIOS and CAMPAIGNS play Great ...Flawlessly ..Anytime, Everytime.

QB's ...completely and Utterly Hosed.

Also, with this new install ...the game is completely stock. No user made scenarios have been added ...No user made QB maps have been added ....And NO mods have been added.

Now ....JohnO and Mark ....What Exactly are you doing differently that I'm not doing that allows you to play QB's with absolutely NO problems what so ever? Are you playing possibly with a new beta patch that quietly fixed the QB's?

Maybe someone is not telling the whole truth?

I can take alot of stuff ...I'm not thin skinned ...I'm not a Grog that is upset that you didn't make the game just for me. BUT ...I do get very irate ...And you can confirm this with my wife ...I get Very nasty and physical when someone LIES to my face ...and NO, I am not making any threats ..just letting you know how much I dislike people who fib.

So ...please tell me your not lying to me and these other guys ...When you say "I'm playing all kinds of QB's with no problems what so ever.

The above problems were experienced at RT/Elite ..which I think I've already said above but you guys must not read the whole post ..cause the first thing you do is come back with a post and ask "what FOW" and was it Realtime or Turnbased.

Gunz

P.S. Yes ...I'm rather pissed off. Not because QB's are Hosed ...but because I think someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Ok ...I'm done ...I think.

Gunz,

I don't know what to say. Not much detail I can get in to due to NDA. That sounds lame, but I think this thread is a good example why the NDA is in place. It may have seemed in our public exploring of this issue we somehow tried to blame you guys, or the scenario designers or deny there's a problem. That was not the intention at all. Just tried to unravel the mystery by thinking aloud.

I can tell you that this is being taken seriously, there certainly is an issue of some kind. Try as I might, I can't reproduce it, others can. And yes, I'm using the official game with an ordinary patch. Not a whiff of anything non standard.

No wool is being pulled.