1.06 Crash

Correction: The crash happens when you click on any vehicle, infantry works just fine. Tested vehicles were T-55, Stryker and Bradley, I don't think there is need to test more. I also am using NVidia graphics, but I don't think I have the latest driver, going to update them next...

More info: The game crashes also with the latest drivers (169.21). The game crashes when clicking on some infantry units too: normal US infantry doesn't crash, but HQ squads do crash the game. RPG and MG squads do crash the game, and some red infantry squads crash the game, but at least sniper squads do not. My guess is that the squads that do crash the game are equipped with RPGs.

When the crash happens no data of the unit is shown, that is the crash happens either before the update of the screen or before the data is even tried to be updated to the screen.

Next going to download the patch from a different source to make sure the download isn't corrupted. My version was from Ausgamers.

Some more info still: I tried applying a different patch, and I reinstalled the game and patched it. Still crashes.

I can select any unit causing a crash if I group select units so that the crashing unit isn't selected first. That is the data of a non-crashing unit is showed on the information panels.

I don't think I can help any more. But if you need any more testing you can contact me at akaariai at cc hut fi.

Hi!

Im getting this one too with my 8800GTX using the 169.21 drivers (Paradox CD version). Got the error with my old drivers too (167.75 or something?) so I tried upgrading.

Really annoying as the changelog looked like we where finally getting the RC1 version instead of the previous alphas and betas ;)

I also tried and interesting thing in a mission with only Strykers... Pressed "=" (select next unit) and the same fatal exeption occurred. So it's not the mouse click that casues the problem.

The error (doesn't say much - but still, are you interested in the full dump?):

Fatal Exeption:

AppName: cm shock force.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: cm shock force.exe

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00035bf3

Snippet from the wrapper for the error report it wanted to send to m$:

<EXE NAME="CM Shock Force.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="CM Shock Force.exe" SIZE="9392128" CHECKSUM="0x38668240" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x41C5A0" LINKER_VERSION="0x10000" LINK_DATE="02/01/2008 12:22:07" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/01/2008 12:22:07" />

My system (all drivers updated to latest versions etc - rock stable in all other apps)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (@3.0Ghz - 1200Mhz FSB)

Asus Striker Extreme NForce680i SLI MB

Asus GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb

2 x 1Gb Corsair PC6400 XMS2 XTREME CAS4 @900Mhz 4-4-4-15 2,1 Volt

1 x RAPTOR 150GB + 2 x Raptor 74Gb (raid 0) + Hitatchi T7K500 320GB

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional

Zalman CNPS9700 Cpu cooler

Antec TruePower Trio 650W

Antec P180B Chassis

Dual boot - Windows XP SP2+ and Vista64 Ultimate

Regards /Mazex (hoping for a QUICK fix)

I am pretty sure I know which units do crash the game: Those that have the two extra panels showing information about the unit: for vehicles there is the "silhouette" panel and then the three tabs showing ammo/damage/defences. For HQs it shows unit/formation and the "silhouette" panel shows some information about the unit (personnel, experience, ...). The units that have those tabs crashes the game when selected as the unit whose information should be shown. The game crashes before the layout of the panels is changed.

For those having this problem: you can play the game if you don't select the wrong units. I have had a blast trying to win the Abu Susah scenario using only two squads (and artillery). I think I would gotten it, but then I selected an enemy RPG squad... :(

Originally posted by Drusus:

I am using Paradox version 1.06 and the error is just pure simple CTD. (The program has encountered a problem and needs to close). Happens immediately when you click on any unit.

I have the Paradox version and this is my problem exactly.

Paradox version 1.06

Same problem; clicking a vehicle unit and I have a non error report crash to desktop. Oftentimes also happens with clicking infantry units. Did try (friendly) blue units only so far.

There´s suspicious and intense hard drive access noises after clicking units and before the final crash, that makes me think the game is looking for files, can´t find them and then simply crashes.

WinXP PE, Nvidia Geforce FX5200, 768MB RAM, 1600+ Athlon XP.

Didn´t have any such problems before 1.06

[ February 05, 2008, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: RockinHarry ]

I'm experiencing this crash too.

Paradox game version, Paradox patch, clean install, tried downloading from several different mirrors, CTD whenever I left-click a vehicle.

I have the day off today, and won't get a chance to play again for the next 14 days, so this is a real downer.

If someone can just confirm that this is another Paradox issue, I'm gonna throw out my discs, download the game and never look back...

Originally posted by Classic88:

I've got a Paradox version, and despite the fact that I've purchased all the CM games at retail, I will not pay more to download directly from BF. I've paid for the game once and once should be enough. I'll just be patient.

Keith

A sense of sanity you are..I also will be patient but dont know how long I can hold off.

Thanks for the intervention.

I can hold off two more hours (until after dinner!) and then I'm downloading.

Yes, I'm being a six-year-old, I know. But at least I'm a six-year-old with a VISA-card.

With the weak dollar it's about half the price of the Paradox version for me.

Makes it slightly more bearable (slightly).

We're still investigating but this appears to be a problem with the Paradox patch only. The error report someone posted up there (thanks!) seems to indicate a problem with the copy protection on the CD (which is Sony's Securom as far as I know). That's really weird. Like I said, we're looking into this asap and soon DA MAN himself will be around (Matt) to figure it all out.

Martin

Originally posted by Moosegum:

Yes, I'm being a six-year-old, I know. But at least I'm a six-year-old with a VISA-card.

Ok - I am with you!!

Originally posted by Moosegum:

No, you and all the other victims (like me) should get the download for free immediately for temporary use. :rolleyes:

(the e-license can be revoked when a VALIDATED working Paradox patch got released somehow)

tests on partitions with XP SP2 and Vista Home Premium both failed (its a complete different driver environment) with Core2Duo E6600, NV8800GTX system with the same error as got reported here :mad:

[ February 05, 2008, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: MikeGER ]