Nvidia users, immediate testing required

Knaust if you're serious check out the recent PC build threads in the General Forum, or start your own thread.

I can post you a copy of my build if you can't find it there. Built it a little over a month ago, did not go "bleeding edge" balls to to the wall spend every nickel, but just a notch lower at the point where the price/value ~ performance equation fit may budget.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knaust1,

Unfortunately peleprodigy is correct. In theory the fastest system would involve an 8800 card of some sort (there are different types, of course) and a multi-processor CPU (quad being the best). The problem is that we can not promise that the 8800 will perform correctly with this system since we haven't yet figured out what the 8800 problem is.

What we can say is that with v1.04 fewer 8800 people will have significant problems, though some may still be performing slower than they otherwise should be. 7800 will likely be sorted out, I think. I still expect some 8800 players to still see very poor framerates with v1.04, though that is more of a guess than anything else at this point.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Kawabunga,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />To all,remember that the low fps is not the only GF 8xxx problem !. On my GF 7600 are also low FPS !! .

Correct. The 8xxx appears to have been a progression of the 76xx card technology, so there seems to be the same issue of some OK and some not OK. We have a tester with a 7600 who has problems with framerates, so we've got that covered too.

Dirtweasle,

Do you, or does CMSF rather expect some version of OPgenGL to already be installed or does it install it;s own like some games do for directx?

What I'm wondering is if when I've got the wrong version loaded.

Yes, like any API there are different versions. Some are more backwards compatible than others. DirectX has traditionally had difficulty with backwards compatibility, but OpenGL is quite good. IIRC CM:SF is looking for OpenGL 2.0, but will work with OpenGL 1.0.

Thanks for finding that list. Again, I don't think it will mean much, but one never knows.

Wolf66,

Steve, is that a rather polite and eloquent way of saying 1.04 will fix nothing for the 8800 ....??
Not at all. I said we haven't found the problem and therefore haven't come up with a solution. However, everybody should see a speed improvement from v1.04, even the people worst affected by whatever this problem is. It's just that if you're getting 10fps now you might get 15fps with v1.04. Substantial improvement, but if you should be getting 35fps+ for that particular scenario then 15fps is obviously not enough.

Cpl Steiner,

Do you recall telling AMD users to install the AMD Optimizer in order to get Theatre of War to work? Do you also recall telling those same AMD users to remove the AMD Optimizer from their systems to get CM:SF to work? So now users such as myself, who own both games, are expected to install the optimizer whenever we want to play TOW and then uninstall it every time we want to play CM:SF. That is supposed to be a sensible approach to customer support is it? That insults my intelligence.
Two different games, two different requirements having to do with a completely different issue (single vs multi-processors). So what's your point?

BTW, CM:SF v1.04 should be plenty happy with AMD with or without the Optimizer.

Steve </font>

Hey all,

I myself experiencing the same 8800 Performance Problems on my rig.

I found this about a similar (more or less) opengl problem in the nvidia forums:

Q10. Chronicles of Riddick informs me that it requires Opengl 1.3 or higher, i am using the latest drivers.

A. this is actually caused by using the latest drivers, the game checkes your opengl version against the minor number (.1, .2, .3, .4, .5) instead of the major and minor number (1.1, 1,2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.0) so if your card supports opengl 2.0, it returns that the card supports .0 opengl version, this is fixed by installed the 1.1 Patch.

Could this behavior have something to do with the poor performance in cm : sf because of the forced software-rendering mode?

Originally posted by olli303:

Hey all,

I found this about a similar (more or less) opengl problem in the nvidia forums:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Q10. Chronicles of Riddick informs me that it requires Opengl 1.3 or higher, i am using the latest drivers.

A. this is actually caused by using the latest drivers, the game checkes your opengl version against the minor number (.1, .2, .3, .4, .5) instead of the major and minor number (1.1, 1,2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.0) so if your card supports opengl 2.0, it returns that the card supports .0 opengl version, this is fixed by installed the 1.1 Patch.

Could this behavior have something to do with the poor performance in cm : sf because of the forced software-rendering mode? </font>

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by olli303:

Hey all,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Q10. Chronicles of Riddick informs me that it requires Opengl 1.3 or higher, i am using the latest drivers.

Could this behavior have something to do with the poor performance in cm : sf because of the forced software-rendering mode? </font>

Originally posted by Xanthos581:

I have a quad core intel and the 8800GTX card and I don't seem to be having problems but maybe I just don't know what perfect it. How do you find the frame rates so I can compare?

Download fraps at

http://www.fraps.com/

Install it and start it up and minimize it. Then start CMSF and you will have a big yellow number in the top right corner showing your FPS (if you have a Logitech G15 keyboard, you will get a nice graph of the fps in the keyboard LCD too).

Good luck! /Mazex

He is running the game at a few notches below top quality as confirmed in this other post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000315

Come to think of it, I am having a hard time finding anyone who is specifically using best/best and getting good frames in a demanding scenario. People say they are having no problems, only to reveal that they have adjusted the graphics quality down upon further questioning.

I looked through this thread and couldn't find a single person who didn't turn down the graphics to achieve acceptable frames.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002646#000000

[ September 22, 2007, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: peleprodigy ]

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

He is running the game at a few notches below top quality as confirmed in this other post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000315

Come to think of it, I am having a hard time finding anyone who is specifically using best/best and getting good frames in a demanding scenario.

Even at better/better I to cannot find an example of anyone with 24fps or greater.