Nvidia users, immediate testing required

Nvidia released a new driver today, I tested with my quad core system with the nvidia 8800 card.

I loaded Allah's fist, blue side, default location. The first frame rate I got was 37.2 fps!

The bad: I exited the game, then went back to the scenario, and was down to 13 fps.

The good again, I loaded a different scenario, exited then went back to the allah's first scenario. Kinda hard to see, but if you look in the bottom right here, you will see a 31.3 fps for allah's fist.

framerate.jpg

The driver is 163.67 available from Nvidia 163.67 Beta

Test, and if you get slow fps, load another scenario and go back, or tab out or the game and go back.

The driver was released a few hours ago. Let me know your framerate.

Rune

[ September 10, 2007, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I'm doing the Balanced/Balanced card tweak and this helped. I gained about 5 FPS, lost FRAPS lag (previously it caused stutter), and the in- game text is no longer blurry. The game looks crisper. Definate improvement. Game is really looking good.

Pentium 830d

2 gigs RAM

2 7800 GTX SLI

Framerate in Allah's fist 24 FPS

Balanced/Balanced

V sync and AA off in game options

Nvidia control panel settings, AA 16x AF 16xQ Vsync on

Guys, make sure you try the various thing i posted. One time play anothe scenario then go back and play allah's fist. Next time, if still slow, alt tab out of the game and then alt tab back in. Doing this this morning, and I am getting a consistant 31 fps. Keep testing and let me know.

Rune

Ok. I installed fraps for this. First when I loaded Allah's Fist I got 20 fps, then I alt+tabbed and got 32 fps. I repeated this couple of times and got always the same effect.

nvidia settings are at "application controlled"

edit: And this was with balanced/balanced and 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Rune, what resolution did you have?

[ September 11, 2007, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Hukka ]

It is just so weird, that when I adjust all kinds of image settings (outside of CMSF, like image quality, anistropic settings, MIPMAP settings etc..) they don't have ANY effect on the CMSF frame rate.

Whatever I did, I got first 20 fps, then after alt+tab 32 fps @ 1280 x 1024 balanced/balanced.

Hukka! Excellent! Now try this, set the nvidia control panel to balanced, do not let the application control, and do NOT manually adjust the settings. Setting it to balanced, and the game to balanced/balanced, with the 1280 X 960, and allah's fist, i am now averaging 52.4 fps!

I did a search on the alt tab thing, which i found by accident while email the guys and messign with the game. It looks like it is a KNOWN nvidia issue. See this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41330

Keep testing!!!!

Rune

[ September 11, 2007, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

G80 running out out memory, driver fix under construction

IT SEEMS THAT Nvidia's Geforce 8800 series of graphics cards suffers random slowdowns, and this can be particularly problematic for owners of the Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, the cheapest 8800 out there.

The problem lies in fact that the G80 GPU has some trouble with texture memory management. In many unrelated cases, this bug starts leaving textures in video memory and system memory, causing the board to run out of texture memory. Once you run out of memory for textures on your graphics card and system, you will experience a lot of swapping with textures on a hard drive, and that is recipe for disaster, at least as far as framerates are concerned.

Some games are more affected than others, it all depends on how the game engine is handling textures. We learned about the situation a while ago, but it has been two weeks and fix is still not out. We heard from Nvidia that testing is well under way, with both Windows XP and Vista - combining these operating systems with different GPUs.

For now, if you experience slowdowns in games and you own GeForce 8800 series card, you can do the alt+tab trick, also known as "switch windows to force texture reload" fix

This is the text of the Inquirer article Rune referenced, it would certainly explain why the 8800 get such poor framerates and why the alt+tab trick works.

I have never had any problems with my 7900 GTX in CMSF.

Originally posted by rune:

That is strange, i tested before and after the new drivers, and I definitely see an improvement, and even more so with the alt tabbing. I have a 8800 GTX however, not sure if that is the difference or not.

Rune

Well at least the GTX is A LOT more powerful card than the GTS.

Yes it appears that the 8800 GTS texture memory bug has a big part on this whole mess. I tried this at Allah's Fist: I moved the camera right and left until the fps dropped to around 15 when the camera was still, then I alt+tabbed and voila! fps raised to around 32.

So I guess that the fps shouldn't drop to around 15 in this kind of test at all without the bug.

edit: I did some more testing and now I'm quite sure about this. Altough it's kind of hard to explain...

I go to the blue edge of the map. I am at the center of the map. I'm at the zoom level 4. Then I tilt the camera to the far right and far left, my fps drops to around 15 and stop my camera and look straight across the map. fps is still 15.

The I alt+tab and boom! my fps raise to 32 and if I tilt the camera a bit to right and left, I still got the 32 fps. But if I tilt to the right extreme and left extreme and look straight after that, my fps is 15.

[ September 11, 2007, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Hukka ]