Have an 8800 GTX ? Try this!

I've been playing around with this a bit more and I think for my system, setting the in-game AA/Multisampling setting to "Off" actually disables AA/AF even on Balanced/Balanced. However, I get the same frame-rate if I turn it "On" in-game. Everything else I said about my system and game specs above remain as they were.

Now for some screenshots. Firstly, in the editor ("Deploy Blue") with "Best/Best", no AA/AF, using Fraps for frame-rate. Click image for full-size.

graphtest1thumb.jpg

Now, the same scene (virtually the same tank but not quite due to the game varying tank details) with "Balanced/Balanced", 4x AA/16x AF (in nVidia Control Panel), In-Game AA/Multisampling "on". As before, click image for full-size.

graphtest2thumb.jpg

I know which game I'd rather be playing!

peleprodigy,

There is no more detail on the tank in the first screenshot. As I said, things like canvas, boxes, spare wheels etc. on the side of the tank are randomly assigned. It's impossible to get exactly the same tank for each screenshot. The second shot just had less on the side. That's all as far as I can tell.

Now look at the rear of the tank in both screenshots and tell me the top one looks better. And don't forget the frame-rate in the top-left corner. It is 3x higher in the second screenshot.

peleprodigy,

You wanted zoomed out screenshots, so you got 'em

First, same scene, Best/Best, no AA/AF

zoomout2thumb.jpg

Now Balanced/Balanced, 4x AA/16x AF (nVidia Control Panel), AA/Multisampling "On" (Game Options).

zoomout1thumb.jpg

OK, I see that there is more detail on the map in Best/Best when zoomed out, but frankly, who cares? And for the settings I am using I get a drop in frame-rate of just 4. It is still twice as fast as for Best/Best.

I'm not trying to suggest that these settings make the game use hardware rather than software rendering or kick the game into Best/Best mode with massive frame-rate improvements (although I know Trooper5 believes this is the case for his setup). All I'm saying is that the game looks better than Best/Best using these settings for most typical in-game camera angles and the frame-rate advantages are enormous.

all i am doing is proving that you are not running the game at max settings with the 'fix'.

thank you for helping me, as the screenshots indeed speak for themselves.

ps - the first screen shot looks quite a bit better, in terms of details, shadowing, vegetation, and texturing.

that is the game i want to play at 30 fps.

[ September 06, 2007, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: peleprodigy ]

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

all i am doing is proving that you are not running the game at max settings with the 'fix'.

thank you for helping me, as the screenshots indeed speak for themselves.

No dispute there. Clearly the "fix", for want of a better word, does not make 3D detail jump to the highest setting - at least not on my system.

What it does do, however, is give you a much cleaner looking render due to using so much AA and AF. This comes at little to no cost in frame-rate. It gives the illusion of using the highest settings without having a really low frame-rate. For people getting 10 FPS on Best or Better, it is a good alternative.

I also think it has been useful in that it has highlighted something else. If massive amounts of AA and AF have no impact on FPS, it suggests that the graphics card is pretty much idle. As it is basically doing very little it can easily handle as much AA/AF as you care to throw at it.

I am convinced that this thing Hotti discovered about the game falling back to software render mode all the time is the crux of the problem. I too look forward to a proper fix, but for now at least the game looks decent and has a good frame-rate using the setting we've been discussing.

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

I am convinced that this thing Hotti discovered about the game falling back to software render mode all the time is the crux of the problem.

I agree. And your post in the other thread is quite helpful as well. </font>

Just for the sake of clarity, the two best settings for Texture Quality use an entirely different rendering system than those below them. What happens is they use twice as many textures, which is how you get much better refinement of terrain visually speaking. However, it comes with additional strain on the CPU and on the card. If you have a weak CPU or a weak card these settings aren't likely going to do much.

Also note that CM will override the behavior to some extent in order to keep up the framerate. Thsi might be what thelima experienced? Hard to tell :D

The main reason why 8800 users, who have problems (not all do), are in such a bad state is because CM is being dropped into software rendering mode. This is why changes to settings have little to no impact because it's so bad already it can't really get much worse :( Some features are simply ignored because hardware is required to run them, so futzing with fancy card features likely won't have any impact at all.

We're still working on a 8800 card fix. It's frustrating for everybody, trust me on this! In 9 years of CM development this is the most elusive hardware problem I can ever remember!

Steve

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Personally one of the things that I find _really_ weird is that turning on 2xAA and 2xAF increases my framerate compared to forcing them off via the control panel (7950GT). It's so counter-intuitive, but it's easy to replicate.

Same here with a Geforce 6600GT :confused:

You bet!

Now, if any of you nVidia folks have multiple monitors, that could be part of the problem. This "fix" was found that may help you:

Anyone using Nvidia + multi screens and having very slow performance. You need to change a setting in the Nvidai control panel:

3D Settings => Manage 3D Settings => Multi-display / mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode.

This will fix performance for all OpenGL based games if you have multi screens.

If this helps out anybody, please let us know.

Steve