Update on ATI Issue

Guys,

Been working on this, and have talked with Steve and Charles. It appears to be something with the drivers. Charles is looking into it, and look for an update from Steve later today. Hang in there, there are three of us trying to do what we can.

Rune

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles is positive that it is a driver bug and is pretty sure he can work around it. It's on the top of his ToDo list because there is no acceptable work around for this problem.

The really "funny" thing is that Matt, Charles, Dan, and myself all have ATI cards, as do most of the testers. None of us have these problems. Which is why we were taken by surprise :D

Steve

Dear Mr BF team, smile.gif

that's why i don't regret the bucks i sent you for this game. throughout my short 33 years i've spent a lot of money on a lot of crap and most of the times i said whattahell, its only money.

Seeing the sweat and dedication and the hours you put into this work im just sorry for all the money i spent for crap. it shouldve gone to you guys.

Nothing wrong with ATI cards per se, it's just that I haven't heard of anyone getting the game to work proper on Vista with an ATI card. Not me on the two computers I tried on, not my friend on his nor people on this forum. People have reported it works on XP & ATI just fine.

(Steve didn't explicitly mention the presence of Vista&ATI combos :D )

Originally posted by PrezCartman:

What exactly is the problem with ATI cards? I'm running a Radeon X800 XL without any problems.

Hi PrezCartman,

I'm running a Radeaon X800GT 128 MB on an XP SP2 Intel 3.6 GHz machine and I can't get the program to work. It starts, I get to a black screen with a green mouse pointer, and then the monitor shuts off and I need to reboot the computer. So, what settings are you running for your card?

I thought my card was too old to work, but now you're the second person with an ATI X800 type card to say it works fine for them.

Thanks.

Spiny

What exactly is the problem with ATI cards? I'm running a Radeon X800 XL without any problems.

New ATI cards only.

They have crapy opengl drivers.

They run the game smothly in max settings but have a bug that crashes the game to desktop when you left click anything in the map.

The people in battlefront didn´t had trouble with their ATI cards because they are poor and all have old cards. :D

Some people are having the same problem in XP, left click and a atiox32 error shows up with crash to desktop.

Spiny Mouse, probably you need to change the drivers of the videocard.

Ask someone with a running game in a x800 wich drivers are they using.

And there´s a site with improved ati drivers, but for XP only.

[ July 31, 2007, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: MikoyanPT ]

Spiny,

I have the card itself set basically to the default settings, don't know enough to tweak it. I know someone on the forums posted a link to NGO drivers for ATI cards. I installed their latest version and seems to run fine. Before that I was also able to get it to run on just the normal drivers from ATI. And I'm also running XP SP2.

Massive, the city is going to slow down on any card, there are people with brand new 8800's saying the framerate goes about as low as it does for my X800. It's just a matter of having too much to process, try turning shadows off though, it definitely helps in the city and if you're shadows are all jagged anyway it actually looks better.

Prez,

Believe me, i've turned everything to the lowest, fastest, the soldiers look like matchstick abstractions already, actually they disappear almost altogether once i zoom up. But I know there's a lot of thing going on under the hood and my card's just too weak.

I think i'm just gonna wait for the fix or patch and then decide on a new card.

Massive, the city is going to slow down on any card, there are people with brand new 8800's saying the framerate goes about as low as it does for my X800. It's just a matter of having too much to process, try turning shadows off though, it definitely helps in the city and if you're shadows are all jagged anyway it actually looks better.

Alt W to turn off in game shadows, some people say it helps.

Some people with 8800 nvidia cards and dual core processors are having major issues with performance, crapy drivers also i believe.

My computer at work runs the game just fine with an ancient nvidia 6600. :D

Originally posted by massive1974:

Prez,

Believe me, i've turned everything to the lowest, fastest, the soldiers look like matchstick abstractions already, actually they disappear almost altogether once i zoom up. But I know there's a lot of thing going on under the hood and my card's just too weak.

I think i'm just gonna wait for the fix or patch and then decide on a new card.

Hummm, AGP card right...

I would go for a nvidia 7600GT, they should be availabe for AGP and have good price\performance value.

Originally posted by massive1974:

Yep, bad old AGP. and yes, that's what I've been eyeing, the 7600 but the GS seems a bit cheaper and some reviews say it's not much difference.

Yep, get a passive one, without fan, less noisy and less power consumption.

But the Gt may worth the extra bucks in performance.

Watch out for your power supply, the GT sucks more electricity.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Charles is positive that it is a driver bug and is pretty sure he can work around it. It's on the top of his ToDo list because there is no acceptable work around for this problem.

The really "funny" thing is that Matt, Charles, Dan, and myself all have ATI cards, as do most of the testers. None of us have these problems. Which is why we were taken by surprise :D

Steve

Steve,

It's Vista + ATI - perhaps the three of you are on XP and tested on XP.

Anyone with a new machine since the start of the year very likely has Vista. Most are using nVidia cards these days, but the ATI folks are out there.

Hey, if you didn't run into it you didn't - a professional hardware QA team wasn't likely in your budget.

Since "stuff happens," I'll just get over it. Perhaps you could appreciate the once-bitten twice-shy as several of Battlefront's titles did not have a smooth release.

I'm going to be constructive rather than rant (which I've done since last Friday - sorry, I'll never pre-order from Battlefront again):

Since you have this eLicense thing going on, I wonder if you can leverage it to your advantage? Why not release a paid public beta, which is content-limited to just a few missions and a partial campaign? Perhaps you could limit some of the QB options too. The purpose of this paid-for beta (perhaps you charge 1/2 the normal asking price), is that you'd discover bugs such as those cropping up with this release and you'd have a wide use-base from which to analyze these bugs.

Once you are ready for the release version, you change the eLicense such that the those with the Beta licence will need to have obtained a full-release license. The beta guys would be able to get the pre-order deal plus a little something extra (like the deluxe version at normal price).

With all the enthusiasts who crowded around in the CMSF forum for years before the release, you would have had quite a number of willing (and paying participants). Since money talks and bs walks - this would probably be win-win for you.

Hey, Microsoft Flight Simulator X had a free public beta and it probably served as a great hardware compatibility test for them. Battlefront could easily get away with asking for money as the frea.. uhm, "grognards" who are your fan-base are all zealous - heck, you've got guys who will defend a semi-broken release and jump down the necks of your detractors. With watchdogs like that, you've clearly got loyalty and willing testers.

Just a thought.

Despite all my rage (I'm still just a... ). oops, I mean, believe-it-or-not, I would have PAID to do the beta thing and would not have been as upset as I am now when the game didn't work with the ATI card.

I realize that the only downside of my idea is the bandwidth - you would probably make less money as you'd have to mass-distribute the latest build to everyone - however, aren't there diff-patches that could be used?

Here's to a speedy solution to the ATI problem - it has been a real bummer for anyone anticipating this release.

I actually go easy on the BF team because as an Eastern European I'm used to crap being handed to me. ;) This is not saying that i've just been handed crap, it's only that i got a more developed sense of patience and I know that "stuff happens" a LOT of times.

zzzzeeennnnnnn smile.gif