• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its bizarre that removing the Dual Core Optimizer might solve the problem as the only reason its on my machine is because BFC told me to put it on to fix bad performance in "Theatre of War" :confused: .

I managed to deinstall it and have so far completed two missions out of 2 so it looks promising. Will post again later with more results.

Cpl Steiner,

Its bizarre that removing the Dual Core Optimizer might solve the problem as the only reason its on my machine is because BFC told me to put it on to fix bad performance in "Theatre of War"
The problem is that each program does things a little differently. Plus, I can't remember if TOW is OpenGL or DirectX. CM:SF is OpenGL, so if TOW is DirectX there is basically no similarity as to how they are interacting with the video hardware.

We're going to look into making CM behave a little differently so that it won't run into trouble with the optimizer. But that is going to take some time because we don't have an AMD machine and it will require moving the code to a new compiler.

Steve

Originally posted by bflyblue:

I've also removed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and have played several missions since then without it locking up smile.gif

Yep. I did this as well. I played a full scenario from start to finish with no lock ups. It seems to have solved the problem.

I also installed the XP dual-core update.

Update on performance with Dual Core Optimizer removed from system:

I have just had 1 freeze requiring Ctrl-Alt-Del to stop program since removing the Dual Core Optimizer. Been playing for about 1-2 hrs before it locked up. So, it definitely helps but there is still something going on as I locked up again.

Here's another clue. I am fairly sure it locked up when I did shift-left-click to zoom to a point on the map. I'd just watched my Javelin launcher totaling the static tanks in training mission 2, and wanted to get back to the team with the launcher which was miles away. That's when it locked up.

Originally posted by Chelco:

I had the following problems:

-Teleportation

-Voices overlapping massively

-Hang up after that

All my problems gone now. I insist on Norton.

+1 exactelly

but i have ATI X1900XT

amd X2 4600+ on xp32 sp2

no norton (never! ;) ) but nod32

So far having fun with CMSF, but I'm also experiencing the hang that often needs a hard restart. Up until the hang performance is fine and I dont have any problems with teleportation.

I have an AMD system, but it is single core not dual core;

Game Version: BFC Direct Download 1.01

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM

ATI x800xt OpenGL Driver Version 6.14.10.6590

All the best

Steve

after removing the dual core optimisation & setting CPU affinity to one CPU, I am able to play most scenarios with no problem, just did two in a row.

I did however get one freeze 20 mins into the 1st campaign mission, so the problem is not completely gone. In that case I had set 3d quality to best rather than balanced.

Others have said that removing the optimizer AND changing the affinity does the complete trick.

Use Task Manager (ctrl+at+delete), go to the processes tab, right click on CM Shock Force.exe, select Set Affinity... and only have one of the two checked. Oh, and you can only change the affinity while the game is running.

Just chiming in here to say that using the affinity thing does seem to help. I've been playing for hours this weekend with no lockups at all. For instance, I must have played the MOUT mission of the training campaign about a dozen times without any problems (and yes, the reason was that my men kept getting slaughtered!).