High end system - terrible performance

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rune:

Actually I woke up this morning with a brainstorm. RobboG is not having problems with his 8800, while a lot of others are. I asked him to send me his setting in the nvidia control panel to see what his settings are, and we can have you try histo see if it fixes the problem.

If someone has a 7900 card and is having no issues can do the same thing, lets see if it is a setting with opengl in the nvidia control panel.

I do not have any slowdowns with my 7800, but I know the internals are different in the panel.

However, if someone wants to turn off the fsaa, aa and try different opengl settings with either card, let me know what combination works.

Rune

If you're still looking for a tester w/ no problems to compare against, here are my specs:

C2D @ 2.13 Ghz

7950 GT 512 MB

WinXP SP2

Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard

I've got 4xAA and 4xAF on, and textures set to max. The detail settings in game are always at either Improved or better.

[Edit] Forgot to add, let me know what you want me to test. Driver version 94.24 I think (so says the About button)

With FRAPS running, 19-20 looking diagonally across the map from the US start point with all tanks in view.

With FRAPS off, it felt faster - probably ~25 FPS.

Quality setting was Improved, though toggling that up to Best only dropped 3 FPS.

[Edit] that was at view 3 I think. Moving across the map (thus less showing) steadily increased the FPS up to about 49.

Ooooh, ok, figured out the settings for the AA/AF.

Ok, so the On/Off in-game determines whether CMSF uses the AA/AF settings that you've set in your control panel.

If it's Off, then there won't be any AA/AF. If it's on, then it uses what your control panel has set.

Definitely not well explained and counter-intuitive given how every other game out there works ;) Maybe it's an OpenGL vs DX thing.

I'll recheck my FPS now.

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Ooooh, ok, figured out the settings for the AA/AF.

Ok, so the On/Off in-game determines whether CMSF uses the AA/AF settings that you've set in your control panel.

If it's Off, then there won't be any AA/AF. If it's on, then it uses what your control panel has set.

Definitely not well explained and counter-intuitive given how every other game out there works ;) Maybe it's an OpenGL vs DX thing.

I'll recheck my FPS now.

Does this mean that I will have to force it on in the driver then?

Changing the affinity did not solve my lockups (in fact, it made it worse). Changing the trilinear optimization did not solve my lockups either. Here are my system specs (I don't think I've posted them before):

1. Battlefront 1.01

2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

3. nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB version 162.18

4. 2 GB RAM

5. Windows XP Home Edition SP 2

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted 28 July, 2007 00:19 Profile for Battlefront.com Reply With Quote:

" ... So far our suspect is the 7xxx/8xxx family of cards with a dual processor (either AMD or Intel) and, I think, a 32bit OS (any of you using Vista 64 with problems?). This is probably something we can work around once we get a card to play with. But we want to try to figure out if this a red herring or a real link.

Keep the information coming! We might not be able to snap our fingers and fix this, but with your help we will be able to do it a lot quicker than if we just start guessing!"

Sorry guys it is not that easy I am afraid. The issues are definitely not limited to 7xxx and 8xxx family cards. See my system specs below.

AMD 64 x2 3800+

2.048 Gig RAM

nVidia Geforce 6600 256mb

Wnidows XP Home

The game only produces a half-reasonable performance on FAST settings for both models and textures. However, my main issue is that the game freezes or lock-ups which requires "end task" in the Task Manager.

Before you ask, I have used task manager "set affinity" to ensure that only 1 CPU is engaged (Not effective in relation to the "freezes"). I have also applied all of the "fixes" and patches referred to in the forum at some stage (not effective in relation to the "freezes") but I have deleted the AMD Dual Core Optimizer program after other users claimed "fixes" in relation to their problems. - Still no success.

The key issue here is that you should not assume that the 6xxx family of nVidia cards is somehow going to be the answer - It is NOT - that is a blind alley

Hope that this helps you with your analysis of the issues.

try this

> More information on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 fix...

> Here is my fix configuration I used to get the game to work without

> lockups and with both CPUs:

> The Microsoft hotfix is installed.

> The AMD drivers are installed.

> The AMD Dual Core Optimizer is NOT installed.

> And it works now...no lockups, no crashes, even playing scenarios that

> always locked up before. Beautiful!

>

Got this from a user to get things working. Let me know how it goes.

Rune

Originally posted by Cameroon:

If you're still looking for a tester w/ no problems to compare against, here are my specs:

C2D @ 2.13 Ghz

7950 GT 512 MB

WinXP SP2

Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard

I've got 4xAA and 4xAF on, and textures set to max. The detail settings in game are always at either Improved or better.

[Edit] Forgot to add, let me know what you want me to test. Driver version 94.24 I think (so says the About button)

Ok looks like the 94.24 drivers are working. Two things I did that fixed my horrible performance -

Rolled back drivers to 94.24.

Set Core Affinity to one core in the Task Manager (you have to do this every time you run the game.)

Both helped quite a bit, and I can now run at 1920x1200, all graphics turned up and on. Runs really well.

Core2 Duo @ 2.6 ghz

NVIDIA 7950 GTX with 512 vram

2 gibs ram

Hope this helps others. Give 94.24 a try.