High end system - terrible performance

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rune, here's another possibility to try if everything else fails:

disabling the system's "ACPI" functionality and setup the computer as "Standard PC".

Some time ago this was a standard procedure for audio-workstations. After the switch to "Standard PC" on reboot all system components are rescanned, but that's ok. If ACPI is disabled Windoze is no longer able to shut down the computer. Although Windows is finsihed, the computer keeps running and the screen shows "switch Computer off" and you have to turn it off manually.

Probably not a durable solution, but could help to locate the problem.

Could be of interest:

From what we've seen, if you have either a USB mouse or keyboard connected to your PC while playing F.E.A.R., you'll get a major frame rate drop on even the mightiest of gaming PCs. We're talking from 150 frames per second down to 13 fps or so. Using old-school devices appears to fix the issue. We found big performance hits with Logitech and Saitek hardware, although there's a world of USB devices that we haven't tested. We found that the Creative-made mouse and keyboard that come with Velocity Micro PCs don't seem to cause as much trouble, but they still show a measurable decline in performance, by roughly 10 fps.

The whole article is here:

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9740960-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1023_3-0-5

Well, I tried another 4000+ system, this time with a 8500GT card, same problem, and still fps similiar to the other 2 systems! A couple fps slower than the e6850 system, ok there is a problem. That's 3 different systems, all same settings, very bad fps. Allah fist start up = 8-10fps, all systems.

Ok, more testing info. I have yet another system here I tried out and this one has an older 6800GT card. It's a P4 3.06 1 gig, xpprosp2, drivers:93.71 running all the same setting as the other 3 systems.

Guess what? Much improved FPS over the other 3 systems, including the very high end e6850 system! Allah Fist start up = 16fps

Not great but it ran more normal for the spec. Remember this 16fps compared to 8-10 on the other much faster systems. Plus, the controls reacted more like you would expect.

Ok, well then... Battlefront look in to the 8xxx cards and 1xx.xx driver series and perhaps you'll find the cause.

Oh and about the Logitech USB thing, all 4 systems have Logitech USB mice, so that’s not it. Tried with the mouse not active as well, no difference.

I'd like to help if I could. I have a reasonably high end system, e6600, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS XP PRo SP2 and don't seem to have any issues. Can I ask, how are you checking the frame rate and are you playing in RT mode. Is it only that one battle causing grief?

How do you measure the FPS, anyway, Astrocat?

I noticed that my background application that delivers screenshots over a TCP socket (kinda like a http server delivering the current screen as a BMP) is very very slow when CM:SF is running, but not always. At first the background task would entirely hang until I alt-tab out, then instantly complete on alt-tab. Now some restarts of the game later the background is normal.

So, in a word, if you use fraps or similar, try disabling it.

ETA: didn't see the previous replies that were posted while I was writing. Looks like Fraps is the slowmo man.

[ July 27, 2007, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

So far our suspect is the 7xxx/8xxx family of cards with a dual processor (either AMD or Intel) and, I think, a 32bit OS (any of you using Vista 64 with problems?). This is probably something we can work around once we get a card to play with. But we want to try to figure out if this a red herring or a real link.

Keep the information coming! We might not be able to snap our fingers and fix this, but with your help we will be able to do it a lot quicker than if we just start guessing!

Steve

[ July 27, 2007, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Actually I woke up this morning with a brainstorm. RobboG is not having problems with his 8800, while a lot of others are. I asked him to send me his setting in the nvidia control panel to see what his settings are, and we can have you try histo see if it fixes the problem.

If someone has a 7900 card and is having no issues can do the same thing, lets see if it is a setting with opengl in the nvidia control panel.

I do not have any slowdowns with my 7800, but I know the internals are different in the panel.

However, if someone wants to turn off the fsaa, aa and try different opengl settings with either card, let me know what combination works.

Rune

For reference, here are my settings for my GeForce 8800 GTS (and I am getting the lockups):

Anisotropic filtering OFF

Antialiasing - Mode OFF

Error reporting OFF

Extension limit OFF

Force mipmaps BILINEAR

Multi-display SINGLE

Texture filtering - Anisotropic OFF

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias CLAMP

Texture filtering - Quality QUALITY

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization ON

Threaded optimization AUTO

Triple buffering OFF

Vertical sync FORCE OFF

I also have vert sych and antialiasing OFF in the game. Made things a lot smoother.

I tried your settings Jaguar, no avail. On Allahs Fist I still get around 10 fps when looking from one mapedge to the other.

I even tried the 3rd party NGO drivers now, nada.

I really dont get it, I also doubt its a software conflict since I already ran a stripped version of windows as I already said on page 1.

I will just lie down and die now.

For testing these are my settings: ( these are low end settings and the graphics quality in game is 100% NOT acceptable like this, these are for testing only)

DRIVER:

Anisotropic filtering OFF

Antialiasing - Gamma OFF

Antialiasing - Mode OFF

Antialiasing - Transparency OFF

Conformant texture clamp Use Hardware

Error reporting OFF

Extension limit OFF

Force mipmaps NONE

Multi-display SINGLE

Texture filtering - Anisotropic OFF

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias ALLOW

Texture filtering - Quality HIGH QUALITY

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization OFF

Threaded optimization OFF

Triple buffering OFF

Texture Filtering - Aniso mip... OFF

Vertical sync FORCE OFF

GAME:

Improved Texture/Model

No AA, No Vsync

4 systems tested:

1 (dual core)e6850/2G/8800gtx - super slow, problem

2 (single core)4000+/2G/8800gtx - super slow, problem

3 (single core)4000+/2G/8800gtx - super slow, problem

4 (single core)P4 3.06(533)/1G/800GT - normal slow (performance seems accurate)

So out of those 4 systems the only one performing normal is the old P4 with the 6800GT.

I am using the latest Fraps to see the FPS.

[ July 28, 2007, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: AstroCat ]

Well, for sure its not dual core vs. single core. 8xxx series perhaps, since my 6800GT performs around what I would expect with the above settings. The 3 others systems are terrible in game, and all run around the same, which is also very suspect.

Originally posted by AstroCat:

Also, the shadows look corrupted, they are very jagged and "shimmery". They also create a huge performance hit, I was noticing a 40%- 70% FPS drop turning shadows on and off, that doesn't seem correct either.

Not a bug, just the (naive) way shadow maps are implemented in CM:SF.

Originally posted by Jamm0r:

Folks,

This sounds like the fairly well-known issue with OpenGL/Nvidia/dual-core systems. Setting CPU affinity to one of the two cores should fix these issues right up.

I tried that right away, but unfortunately it did not make any difference. Also, please note I tried the game on 2 different Single core systems that have the same issue as the Dual core system.