ATI - Vista - OpenGL Drivers error

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tarball wrote:

Battlefront, since you've combined my original problem thread into this one, could you change the title?

This problem seems to be more related to those of us clicking on the game map than actually starting up the game. What we all seem to have in common is ATI OpenGL drivers not getting along with the game.

Bump.

This problem makes the game unplayable for quite many people. I take it you're not aware of this problem yet, since it is not listed in "Problem overview sticky".

As reported above I have the exact same problem. Running Vista with an ATI-card on a AMD X2 Dualcore.

As an experiment I installed a clean copy of Windows XP on another partition and now the game runs without trouble when selecting units and performance is great...until the "teleporting units-bug" strikes after about 2 minutes. So game is still unplayable but maybe this can help narrowing down the problem?

Ok, further testing this i disabled one of the cpu's and now the game works as a charm! This is with just a clean install of Win XP, no microsoft patches or fixes, no amdcpu drivers or coreoptimizers. latest drivers for my ati x1900 from ati.com

[ July 28, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: KnockOnWood ]

Bumpty bumpty bump seeing as how us AMD/ATI users are currently neglected in being able to play this game...

Game unplayable for anything more than 5 secs on any mission or campaign. My specs are posted on the first page and I have absolutely no issues with other games at all.

Getting really desperate for an answer here although I do appreciate BF working hard to resolve these issues. Just for information, what is the refund policy?

Out of the two computers I have home, the other has this exact problem and the other does not.

Whenever I select a unit on the computer 1, the the mouse cursor freezes for 1-10 seconds depending on what I select. If I select a vehicle it seems to be more likely a longer time and in case of units, a shorter time. After few clicks the game crashes completely and I need to ctrl-alt-del to desktop.

On computer 2, everything works perfectly for except whenever I press shift key to make unit selection (area selection), the cursor freezes for a while (units keep moving, but the cursor is frozen).

Computer 1 specs:

------------------

AMD Athlon 2400+ 2.0 GHz

ATI Radeon 9600 with latest Ati catalyst drivers

2 Gb memory

Windows Vista 32-bit

Computer 2 specs:

-------------------

(HP nw8240 laptop)

Intel Pentium M 2.13 GHz

1G ram

ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 6.14.0010.6677 (8.5.2007) driver

Windows XP Pro SP 2

Luckily I have this second computer on which I'm able to play smile.gif

Bump

The game is beautifull.

That´s a shame i can only apreciate it in all is glory in "spectator mode" a la counter strike.

As soon i click something i am kicked out.

Looks like some of this clubs were you pay to look at but you can´t touch. :D

Is someone looking at this left click CTD issue right ?

I see lots of treads of people helping guys with FPS poor performance, but not much feedback on this issue.

Only people reporting the problem. :(

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Bump

The game is beautifull.

That´s a shame i can only apreciate it in all is glory in "spectator mode" a la counter strike.

As soon i click something i am kicked out.

Looks like some of this clubs were you pay to look at but you can´t touch. :D

Is someone looking at this left click CTD issue right ?

I see lots of treads of people helping guys with FPS poor performance, but not much feedback on this issue.

Only people reporting the problem. :(

QFT

I'd like to know if someone is actually playing this game with ATI gfx and Vista without crashing _ALL_ the time?

Hi all got the downloaded version everytime i left click in the 3d screen i get a ctd i can cycle through units with the keys but once you left click with the mouse gone no game

I run a intel E6700 dual core with 2 gig of ram

950 gig hd space

ATI HD2900 512 ram 7.7 cats

vista 64 latest drivers

have run as admin and in windows sp2 compatability mode no go with the problem.

Yeah we are all pretty much in the same boat one way or another.

Running Win XP Home SP2

Asus M2R32-MVP

AMD Dual Core 6000

2Gb Ram

Radeon HT2900XT

Soundblaster XFI

All drivers upto date, all fixes in this forum tried and tried again in various combinations

Can spectator the game ok but as soon as I select a unit (which takes upto 5 secs to register) and try to issue a waypoint it kicks in the old atioglx2.dll

Guys, we're still trying to sort this one out and figure out if there is more than one problem going on, or if it is indeed one problem. The best thing we can suggest right now is to DISABLE the AMD Dual Core Optimizer. That seems to be causing all sorts of problems. Therefore, you should try that and see how things go. We're monitoring this thread so please post how that works for you here.

Thanks!

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Guys, we're still trying to sort this one out and figure out if there is more than one problem going on, or if it is indeed one problem. The best thing we can suggest right now is to DISABLE the AMD Dual Core Optimizer. That seems to be causing all sorts of problems. Therefore, you should try that and see how things go. We're monitoring this thread so please post how that works for you here.

Thanks!

Steve

The web of problems is certainly entangled - however, I think you would want to isolate this combination as among the unique problems:

ATI's OpenGL driver for Vista doesn't like the game.

I am not too certain that the mouse-click-game-stops problem is as related to the processor.

There is no doubt in my mind that CMSF and ATI Cat 7.7 drivers for Vista 32bit don't mix.

I did an experiment with my laptop, specs below. I had Vista Home Premium installed on it and CMSF hangs just like it does on my main computer, see here for specs . I get the same atioglxx.dll error.

So I formated and installed Windows XP SP2. I then install ATI Cat 7.7 drivers for XP. I can now play CMSF with no crashes, hangs, or slow downs. I played for 2 hours straight.

Dell Inspiron 9100

3.2-GHz Pentium 4 processor

1GB Corsair RAM

ATI's Mobility Radeon 9800 256MB

100GB Harddrive

Windows XP SP2

Hi Steve,

I don't have an AMD CPU, but rather an Intel CPU and am suffering from the problem. So at least my problem is unrelated to AMD dual core issues.

Could I be so bold as to enquire if Battlefront have a PC or laptop running Vista 32bit and some sort of ATI card? This is surely one of the basic configurations that should be tested.

Thanks

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, i've tried uninstalling the AMD DCO and running the game but exactly the same issue/crash occurs. I don't see the link between AMD DCO and what i suspect to be an ATI Opengl driver issue?

Niska and Mikoyan,

You are both right, this serious error isn't getting the top-billing it deserves. If time is money, we're being somewhat robbed. It is of no consequence to me if other titles from other companies have also been problematic - I have bought THIS title from THIS company and, as it stands, the product is nearly useless.

Of course, it is early days, but I vividly remember waiting 2 months before T-72 was usable due to a fairly similar set of circumstances. Perhaps it is just too difficult putting out a super-complex product when your team is so small.

I think what we all want is a clear acknowledgement of the problem (it should show up on the known issues post) and, in my case, a warning at the point of sale concerning the uselessness of the title if you are on Vista and AMD.

Originally posted by tarball:

Niska and Mikoyan,

You are both right, this serious error isn't getting the top-billing it deserves. If time is money, we're being somewhat robbed. It is of no consequence to me if other titles from other companies have also been problematic - I have bought THIS title from THIS company and, as it stands, the product is nearly useless.

Of course, it is early days, but I vividly remember waiting 2 months before T-72 was usable due to a fairly similar set of circumstances. Perhaps it is just too difficult putting out a super-complex product when your team is so small.

I think what we all want is a clear acknowledgement of the problem (it should show up on the known issues post) and, in my case, a warning at the point of sale concerning the uselessness of the title if you are on Vista and AMD.

Stay cool tarball, battlefront is being bombarded with the normal issues of a new release, and they were focusing in dual core problems.

But it seems rune is already working this left click ATI problem, because he is asking people with old ati cards to try some optimized drivers from XP that may work on Vista, but are not compatible with most recent cards.

It is weekend and they will need time to solve this, has soon as they notice this problem they will work on it.

In fact i believe they already are.

I think rune and others are working on it as we speak. smile.gif

Hi Everyone,

Well I seem to be having similar problems too everyone on this board so let me start out with my system.

Dell XPS M1710

Intel Core2 Duo T7400 (2.16 Ghz)

2Gb Ram

Geforce Go 7900 GTX (512Mb)

100 Gb 7200 RPM hard drive

Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)

Well the game won't even lauch. As soon as I try to launch the game I get an OpenGL error and it tells me to update teh OpenGL driver. I have the lastest drivers for the video card. Not sure what too do. I have tried the suggestions already on the post with no success. Any futher assistance will be greatly appreciated. I hope these problems can be quickly overcome, I would really like to play.

Thanks

Originally posted by KnockOnWood:

As reported above I have the exact same problem. Running Vista with an ATI-card on a AMD X2 Dualcore.

As an experiment I installed a clean copy of Windows XP on another partition and now the game runs without trouble when selecting units and performance is great...until the "teleporting units-bug" strikes after about 2 minutes. So game is still unplayable but maybe this can help narrowing down the problem?

Ok, further testing this i disabled one of the cpu's and now the game works as a charm! This is with just a clean install of Win XP, no microsoft patches or fixes, no amdcpu drivers or coreoptimizers. latest drivers for my ati x1900 from ati.com

KnockOnWood,

how much frames do you get now and how are your quality and resolution settings?

Steiner i don´t think the problem with ATI cards is performance.

My ATI X1950pro runs the game smothly with max settings and good resolution on Vista.

Has long has i don´t left click anything in the map i can watch the battle going on untill the scenario time ends and the mission concludes.

Of course it means i can´t play the game but when the left click CTD issue is solved i will have great performance.