Falaise Pocket as Germans

I'm trying to do most missions with the default setup, but this one is really taxing me. You have two infantry squads, two PzIII/Ms and two Pak 40s if I remember correctly. Assuming I get lucky with the artillery not hitting my AT guns I usually manage to take care of the first wave hitting the tanks as they break through the tree line with my AT guns and tanks in the flank. You then get some reinforcements (a PzV and two more PzIIIs) and another squad and are attacked in the flank by more allied tanks. It's a struggle, but I can sometimes stop this by ambushing through the trees from the reverse slope behind the village. Now odds are that I'll take sufficient casualties (or immobilisations) that there's no hope in hell of stopping the next assault. I'm getting 3:1 kill ratios against the opposition - a mixture of shermans (about half of which are 76s) and tank destroyers but I just can't see how I can possibly repulse all 3 waves (which come from different directions). Any suggestions?

Have fun

Finn

Indeed those pzIII's provide little help. They got taken out when I played (at hard) even when I flanked the american's; not even being able to destroy them from side/behind. At least, u have to be lucky. Both got taken out 1 shot by them yankee's.

However -> there's a pretty easy strategy i used to combat the americans with relative ease:

trade them PzIII's for 2 nice STUG's, costing the same.

This time the flank attack took the first wave quite easy, from good distance.

Make sure u directly move the stug's to the right position and get ready to flank the first wave. Think about repositioning ahead of time to flank the other assaults and u should be fine, especially with the provided reinforcements.

Sounds similar to what I've been doing with the PzIII's - will give it a go with the Stugs though. Don't ask me why, but Stugs have always been my favourite bit of WWII German equipment so any excuse to pick them goes down well with me! I just wonder if there's a particular reason why PzIIIs are the default choice? I don't suppose the scenario designer is listening and could through in some hints or an explanation?

Have fun

Finn

Indeed, i tried exact same tactics with the PzIII's. However they were repeatedly killed by sherman 76W's even when coming from behind. They just hit it without doing any serious damage, then the sherman turrets rotates and destroy them with 1 shot... So much from them PzIII's. The Stugs at least have 75MM with decent barrel size so they deal a lot more penetration, effective enough for me to take out the shermans along with the Pak's...

Good luck, and ofc, have fun!

Well, took a few more goes to get it but finally managed it. Those stugs go through the first wave like a hot knife through butter and seem to benefit more from cover too due to the lower profile. Finally managed to rack up a few kills with panzerfausts too which was nice. Finished off survivors with infantry which I'd mostly withdrawn down the hill (trenches seem to be death traps and best avoided).

Have fun

Finn

I started with a PaK40, PaK43 and on the flank zone a Panther. The Pak40 was on the left side and was destroyed at the beginning of the second attack. The PaK43 was placed withing the farm walls and did a marvoulous job. Tho the crew was killed in the first attack, so my reserve infantry took over the gun. The Panther was everywhere really, left flank, right one, at the back and in front. He was just everywhere where I could send it.

Also I moved the infantry from one trench to another. At some point the US arty was firing at empty trenches. The reinforcements where send to the left trench and the tanks did well on the reversed slope.

Besides the PaK40 I lost a PzIII and a barrel from a Panther was disabled (tho still usefull as inf. killer with its coaxial guns) And as usual most of the infantry was 6-feet under.

In all the PaK 43 saved my day with a lot of kills (also inf. with HE shells). The Panther got 13 tank kills so I awarded the commander a Knight's Cross smile.gif

Were there even PzKpfw III still in service in the West on the front lines?

Personally haven't finished the German campaign yet (stuck on Operation Citadel), so I haven't played this one yet, so I was surprised to read you had PzKpfw IIIs considering I'm using IV H and Tigers now, before Falaise.

Yes the PzIII was used in Normandy and Arnhem. The Ausf N was armed with a 7.5 cm KwK 37 L/24 gun and had side skirts.

The mission designers did their best to give you minimum firepower every mission, but tigers and panthers will return smile.gif

For the pocket mission. I made an XML file that changes the III to IV and changes reinforcement of PZ III to stug IV. Also a pak 75mm was changed to an 88 pak. And I added alot of panzerfaust to the infantry.

falaise pocket better german tanks mod link

Just throw the file into this folder below. Rename the old xml file if you want to return to the original battle.

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War\Missions\GERMANY\G012_Arras

Coding of units left untouched.

[ May 26, 2007, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]